• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another "Unlawful Discharge of Firearms" Incident

Skinnedknuckles

This may be a little off topic, but I think has to be a concern for many of us in Connecticut. Here is another report of an arrest for "Unlawful Discharge of Firearms" in Connecticut. In previous discussions, there seems to be a consensus that there is no state law on this issue, just local ordinances. My question is how do we finf reliable information on those ordinances? Or is this just a convenient charge until they can come up with something better?

http://brookfield.patch.com/articles/arrest-after-shots-fired-on-surrey-drive

LESGTINCT

This may be a little off topic, but I think has to be a concern for many of us in Connecticut. Here is another report of an arrest for "Unlawful Discharge of Firearms" in Connecticut. In previous discussions, there seems to be a consensus that there is no state law on this issue, just local ordinances. My question is how do we finf reliable information on those ordinances? Or is this just a convenient charge until they can come up with something better?

http://brookfield.patch.com/articles/arrest-after-shots-fired-on-surrey-drive

Sec. 53-203. Unlawful discharge of firearms.

Any person who intentionally, negligently or carelessly discharges any firearm in such a manner as to be likely to cause bodily injury or death to persons or domestic animals, or the wanton destruction of property shall be fined not more than two hundred fifty dollars or imprisoned not more than three months or both.

Is it legal to conduct target practice on private property?

Yes. However, the shooter must consult local regulations which may prohibit discharge of firearms within the town's limits. Additionally, the location of the property for target shooting must satisfy concerns for down range safety. Also, if local regulations allow target practice, and the property satisfies concerns for down range safety, noise from gunfire may disturb neighbors. To help prevent alarm and misunderstanding, notify neighbors and also local law enforcement officials when and where the target practice will occur.

The question is did this person discharge any firearm in such a manner as to be likely to cause bodily injury or death to persons or domestic animals, or the wanton destruction of property? And did he follow the above target practice safety issues?

Rich B

"he indicated that he had been discharging a firearm toward the rear of his property, a wooded area that separates his property and a residence on Drover Road."

And the satellite picture shows a house directly in back of his.

The details may be sparse, but I think there is enough here to understand the cause of the arrest.

Skinnedknuckles

Sorry I didn't do the Google lookup properly and missed the statute. Not enough detail to know why the officer decided he was firing "as to be likely to cause bodily injury or death to persons or domestic animals, or the wanton destruction of property". Since the report just said the call was for "shots fired" rather than something more substantive, we can't know his reasons.

WalkingWolf

pellet guns have more power than the .22 low power cartridge he was shooting, it probably wouldn't even go through a soup can.

Hard to tell from the areal picture what the back stop is like.

Where did you get the information it was a .22 low power cartridge, could you provide the cite?

customcreationllc

Where did you get the information it was a .22 low power cartridge, could you provide the cite?

From the link read the comments one is made by the shooter and he said it was a .22 low power cartridge

Made by
Bobby Caselnova
About half way down

Bobby Caselnova

12:52 pm on Thursday, August 30, 2012

Excuse me? I wasn't going to comment on this, but this just went way too far, "concerned". I'm not a dope addict, in fact a review of my facebook page where you said I "post about it all the time" I see one old post, clearly taking a stance STRONGLY against a fan page called "Heroin". I don't know what makes you think I'm "addicted" or "post about it all the time", but you shouldn't spread misleading information about people. I'm willing to pee in a cup and show you if you think I'm some dopehead shooting a gun off. Also, about the incident, the picture and story are deceiving as you can't see what I saw in my back yard, and it also sounds like I was just carelessly taking shots into the unknown of the woods, which is untrue and would be incredibly stupid. I had a good backstop and all of my shots stopped well before the tree line. I grew up target shooting here occasionally since I was 4 years old, and have never had any issues with stray bullets or accidents. I'm not trying to say that what I did was OK, I certainly realize it was stupid and there existed a possibility for danger, and I truly am sorry to all of my neighbors. Also, just to clear up some of the questions people above had, it was a .22 caliber rifle with low-velocity rounds (not a pistol). And please people, don't get all paranoid on here, it was in no way similar to Ruby Ridge and the Brookfield police were only doing their job. They were actually quite respectful throughout the process too.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
well, he was certainly stupid to talk to the cops ... he was not shooting at the time of his arrest .. if he would have zipped it shut, he would not have a charge most likely...

WalkingWolf

well, he was certainly stupid to talk to the cops ... he was not shooting at the time of his arrest .. if he would have zipped it shut, he would not have a charge most likely...

That is only if his neighbors did not already ID him. I find it odd that his neighbors could hear gunshots in his home and he claims to be using low power rounds from a rifle. I smell a liar, I use high power .22LR and from the rifle the report is minimal and cannot be heard in a air conditioned home. A 22 cap or a 22 short would be equal to the report of a air rifle. A 22LR is a dangerous round in urban setting.

Skinnedknuckles

That is only if his neighbors did not already ID him. I find it odd that his neighbors could hear gunshots in his home and he claims to be using low power rounds from a rifle. I smell a liar, I use high power .22LR and from the rifle the report is minimal and cannot be heard in a air conditioned home. A 22 cap or a 22 short would be equal to the report of a air rifle. A 22LR is a dangerous round in urban setting.

As I read it, he said "low velocity" which I might interpret as "standard velocity" or target ammo as distinct from "high veolcity" or plinking ammo which cracks the sound barrier and is louder. A 22lr is always a dangerous round if used carelessly, but any round used properly in the proper setting into the proper backstop is safe. Noise is another matter entirely. 22 shorts and longs are subsonic and quieter but just as dangerous if used carelessly. The devil is in the details.

Leverdude

pellet guns have more power than the .22 low power cartridge he was shooting, it probably wouldn't even go through a soup can.

Hard to tell from the areal picture what the back stop is like.

Depends on how you quantify power. If velocity is the ONLY criteria then many air rifles are more powerful than a 22 short. But if the projectile is taken into account, as it should be, I'd say a 22 short is more powerful than most if not all common air rifles. Airgun pellets are very light compared to 22 bullets.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Depends on how you quantify power. If velocity is the ONLY criteria then many air rifles are more powerful than a 22 short. But if the projectile is taken into account, as it should be, I'd say a 22 short is more powerful than most if not all common air rifles. Airgun pellets are very light compared to 22 bullets.

Velocity is speed with direction ... I don't see how any bullet, by itself, has any specific velocity ... it depends on where you point it !

(I know, I'm being too picky ... but feel free to use this fact against "them")

Last edited: