Thread: This guard keeps his cool and uses good technique under fire

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

This guard keeps his cool and uses good technique under fire

Check out this video. The guard does a very good job in maintain his composure and using good technique. Probably saved his life.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#...rnet-cafe.wesh
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Banned
    I get no video, just audio ..

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I get no video, just audio ..
    Interesting. I get both from the supplied link.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

This is why practice is so important

This guy definitely goes shooting and practices drawing his weapon from his holster. That is very evident. Maybe we should all try to be this good?

Great video thanks for sharing it.

Good use of available cover!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Check out this video. The guard does a very good job in maintain his composure and using good technique. Probably saved his life.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#...rnet-cafe.wesh
    3 armed robbers tried to get past an armed security guard at The Allied Internet Cafe in Melbourne Australia.

How expensive is internet access in the land down under?
    Last edited by E6chevron; 09-03-2012 at 10:56 PM.
    Wis. CCL #5x Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact .40 S&W, Utah CFP

Quote Originally Posted by freak4cycles View Post
    This guy definitely goes shooting and practices drawing his weapon from his holster. That is very evident. Maybe we should all try to be this good?

Yes, it certainly does appear that he practices proper techniques. Very cool and deliberate.

Quote Originally Posted by rscottie View Post
    Good use of available cover!
    I agree. By moving he accomplishes two things. Cover for himself and reduced chance of his assailants hitting him.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by E6chevron View Post
    3 armed robbers tried to get past an armed security guard at The Allied Internet Cafe in Melbourne Australia.

How expensive is internet access in the land down under?
    Melbourne Florida, WESH is a local station channel 2 out of orlando.

What's with people trying to knock over internet cafes? Clearly there is a rash of this happening... with the old man that shot the crooks with his .380 and the fact that the internet cafe has ARMED SECURITY in the first place...
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

I count three seconds from his first arm movement to the first muzzle blast.

Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    What's with people trying to knock over internet cafes? Clearly there is a rash of this happening... with the old man that shot the crooks with his .380 and the fact that the internet cafe has ARMED SECURITY in the first place...
    Simply the ones we have here in Youngstown Ohio, have a ton of cash on had and have a lot of video slots like I sure this one does as well.
    Last edited by zack991; 09-04-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

awesome video, and huge kudos to the guard. Shows why we need to stay proficient and it's my biggest pet peeve when people leave their firearms in a glove box or in the closet for when they need it and think that they will have time to get to it. You likely will have no time to react, this guy could have been killed had he hesitated or not reacted as he did with a difference of maybe only a few seconds. Good on him

Great video until the CNN news reader quotes the police saying "few people would have reacted this well." I wonder how true that is. Of course you have to assume that the person is carrying. And if they are, are we saying that people who carry are essentially useless? That you would not have reacted well enough and this is a rare case? Find that really hard to accept.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
    Great video until the CNN news reader quotes the police saying "few people would have reacted this well." I wonder how true that is. Of course you have to assume that the person is carrying. And if they are, are we saying that people who carry are essentially useless? That you would not have reacted well enough and this is a rare case? Find that really hard to accept.
    Agreed. Although my performance drawing my pistol while under pressure with many would-be attackers was admittedly less than stellar, I still would have been able to get shots on target within a few seconds. And that was before I became serious in self-defense and firearms and really began practicing drawing and drills. I'm sure a large number of people carrying would have no problem reacting in a similar manner.

On a side not, excellent use of cover by the guard. As others have mentioned previously, he obviously practices often and does realistic drills. Only makes me want to head to my range and brush up on some drills; it's been a while... a whole 4 days.
    Last edited by HighFlyingA380; 09-06-2012 at 07:01 PM.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.
    XD40 Service
    -Hogue Handall grip sleeve
    -Nebo Protec Elite light/laser
    -TruGlo TFO night sights
    Olympic Arms K16-SST
    -16" stainless bull-barrel
    -Quad-rail forearm
    -Millet SP2 red-dot scope
    -Fore grip w/ bi-pod
    -Nebo Protec Elite light/laser
    KelTec P11
    -Bone stock; Not much you can do to these little guys.
    No one can make a pencil...

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freak4cycles View Post

Watch real closely. You can notice when his hand goes for his gun he tries to pull up and gets snagged on something. Even with that he is still out of his holster and firing in no time.

I will say this cop is a moron. Who is he to say someone else couldn't have acted as quickly? By looking at him I doubt he would have been that quick! I love the ones that think just because they have a badge that it makes them super-marksman or something. I guaruntee most of us practice more than 90% of cops, because they never have time to practice.
    Last edited by KYGlockster; 09-06-2012 at 09:08 PM.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    I will say this cop is a moron. Who is he to say someone else couldn't have acted as quickly? By looking at him I doubt he would have been that quick! I love the ones that think just because they have a badge that it makes them super-marksman or something. I guaruntee most of us practice more than 90% of cops, because they never have time to practice.
    I would not say the cop is a moron. He is acknowledging the common level of skill of those who carry (including that of the majority of police officers).* What I will say is that the VAST MAJORITY of people who carry guns are not proficient with them. Many people who carry REFUSE to attend defensive handgun training beyond any state mandated requirements. Anyone who attends one two day defensive course is the exception, not the rule.

All this is nothing new. Ed McGivern talked about this topic extensively in Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting (which came out in the 1930's). Trainers ever since have talked about it. I suspect that it will always be like this.

* The exception is any little old lady with a handgun. They kill and maim many felons annually despite an average round count of 50 rounds of practice per decade. It's quite amazing. If you are a felon intent upon committing another crime, stay away from little old ladies!
    Last edited by tomrkba; 10-25-2012 at 10:20 AM.

Great Job by the Guard. It's nice to see someone who knows their gun well and knows how to handle ones self under stress. This just means we all need to practice more and STOP SHOOTING IN A STRAIGHT LINE. I hate when people say they go to the range weekly, but all they do is put up a paper target and take slow, aimed shots in a straight line. That is not practice, that is just shooting. Kind-of like going to the driving range and just hitting balls out into nowhere or "near a flag."

People really need to practice off-line scenarios and real life situations to where you can shoot at targets high, low, to your right, to your left, behind you, etc. This is what real practice is and why this guard WON this battle and will probably win the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Steveboos View Post
    Great Job by the Guard. It's nice to see someone who knows their gun well and knows how to handle ones self under stress. This just means we all need to practice more and STOP SHOOTING IN A STRAIGHT LINE. I hate when people say they go to the range weekly, but all they do is put up a paper target and take slow, aimed shots in a straight line. That is not practice, that is just shooting. Kind-of like going to the driving range and just hitting balls out into nowhere or "near a flag."

People really need to practice off-line scenarios and real life situations to where you can shoot at targets high, low, to your right, to your left, behind you, etc. This is what real practice is and why this guard WON this battle and will probably win the next one...
    True but you have to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you run. I have no issues with people if they are punching straight holes in the target while working on fundementals. However if they are just blasting to blast then they could probably use their ammo wiser. Good job on the Guard, that is deffinatly being aware of your surroundings.
    Active Duty Army, Ft. Sill Oklahoma, 10+ years
    OKOCA Facebook Page www.facebook.com/opencarryok