• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This guard keeps his cool and uses good technique under fire

freak4cycles

This is why practice is so important

This guy definitely goes shooting and practices drawing his weapon from his holster. That is very evident. Maybe we should all try to be this good?

Great video thanks for sharing it.

E6chevron

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
This guy definitely goes shooting and practices drawing his weapon from his holster. That is very evident. Maybe we should all try to be this good?

Yes, it certainly does appear that he practices proper techniques. Very cool and deliberate.

Good use of available cover!

I agree. By moving he accomplishes two things. Cover for himself and reduced chance of his assailants hitting him.

HKcarrier

What's with people trying to knock over internet cafes? Clearly there is a rash of this happening... with the old man that shot the crooks with his .380 and the fact that the internet cafe has ARMED SECURITY in the first place...

zack991

What's with people trying to knock over internet cafes? Clearly there is a rash of this happening... with the old man that shot the crooks with his .380 and the fact that the internet cafe has ARMED SECURITY in the first place...

Simply the ones we have here in Youngstown Ohio, have a ton of cash on had and have a lot of video slots like I sure this one does as well.

Last edited:

aa1911

awesome video, and huge kudos to the guard. Shows why we need to stay proficient and it's my biggest pet peeve when people leave their firearms in a glove box or in the closet for when they need it and think that they will have time to get to it. You likely will have no time to react, this guy could have been killed had he hesitated or not reacted as he did with a difference of maybe only a few seconds. Good on him

mobiushky

Great video until the CNN news reader quotes the police saying "few people would have reacted this well." I wonder how true that is. Of course you have to assume that the person is carrying. And if they are, are we saying that people who carry are essentially useless? That you would not have reacted well enough and this is a rare case? Find that really hard to accept.

HighFlyingA380

Great video until the CNN news reader quotes the police saying "few people would have reacted this well." I wonder how true that is. Of course you have to assume that the person is carrying. And if they are, are we saying that people who carry are essentially useless? That you would not have reacted well enough and this is a rare case? Find that really hard to accept.
Agreed. Although my performance drawing my pistol while under pressure with many would-be attackers was admittedly less than stellar, I still would have been able to get shots on target within a few seconds. And that was before I became serious in self-defense and firearms and really began practicing drawing and drills. I'm sure a large number of people carrying would have no problem reacting in a similar manner.

On a side not, excellent use of cover by the guard. As others have mentioned previously, he obviously practices often and does realistic drills. Only makes me want to head to my range and brush up on some drills; it's been a while... a whole 4 days.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member

Watch real closely. You can notice when his hand goes for his gun he tries to pull up and gets snagged on something. Even with that he is still out of his holster and firing in no time.

I will say this cop is a moron. Who is he to say someone else couldn't have acted as quickly? By looking at him I doubt he would have been that quick! I love the ones that think just because they have a badge that it makes them super-marksman or something. I guaruntee most of us practice more than 90% of cops, because they never have time to practice.

Last edited:

tomrkba

I will say this cop is a moron. Who is he to say someone else couldn't have acted as quickly? By looking at him I doubt he would have been that quick! I love the ones that think just because they have a badge that it makes them super-marksman or something. I guaruntee most of us practice more than 90% of cops, because they never have time to practice.

I would not say the cop is a moron. He is acknowledging the common level of skill of those who carry (including that of the majority of police officers).* What I will say is that the VAST MAJORITY of people who carry guns are not proficient with them. Many people who carry REFUSE to attend defensive handgun training beyond any state mandated requirements. Anyone who attends one two day defensive course is the exception, not the rule.

All this is nothing new. Ed McGivern talked about this topic extensively in Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting (which came out in the 1930's). Trainers ever since have talked about it. I suspect that it will always be like this.

* The exception is any little old lady with a handgun. They kill and maim many felons annually despite an average round count of 50 rounds of practice per decade. It's quite amazing. If you are a felon intent upon committing another crime, stay away from little old ladies!

Last edited:

Steveboos

Great Job by the Guard. It's nice to see someone who knows their gun well and knows how to handle ones self under stress. This just means we all need to practice more and STOP SHOOTING IN A STRAIGHT LINE. I hate when people say they go to the range weekly, but all they do is put up a paper target and take slow, aimed shots in a straight line. That is not practice, that is just shooting. Kind-of like going to the driving range and just hitting balls out into nowhere or "near a flag."

People really need to practice off-line scenarios and real life situations to where you can shoot at targets high, low, to your right, to your left, behind you, etc. This is what real practice is and why this guard WON this battle and will probably win the next one...

ethorman

Great Job by the Guard. It's nice to see someone who knows their gun well and knows how to handle ones self under stress. This just means we all need to practice more and STOP SHOOTING IN A STRAIGHT LINE. I hate when people say they go to the range weekly, but all they do is put up a paper target and take slow, aimed shots in a straight line. That is not practice, that is just shooting. Kind-of like going to the driving range and just hitting balls out into nowhere or "near a flag."

People really need to practice off-line scenarios and real life situations to where you can shoot at targets high, low, to your right, to your left, behind you, etc. This is what real practice is and why this guard WON this battle and will probably win the next one...

True but you have to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you run. I have no issues with people if they are punching straight holes in the target while working on fundementals. However if they are just blasting to blast then they could probably use their ammo wiser. Good job on the Guard, that is deffinatly being aware of your surroundings.