Thread: Home robbery victoms arested for defending themselves...

Home robbery victoms arested for defending themselves...

Aren't you glad you live in america?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-19456928

Banned
    It happens here too ... just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    It happens here too ... just sayin
    Cite?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Cite?
    Some states have a "duty to retreat" law. I believe there was even a case posted on here at some point since I joined about an incident where the people were taken to court over unlawfully defending theirself cuz the state felt that they didn't retreat far enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    Some states have a "duty to retreat" law. I believe there was even a case posted on here at some point since I joined about an incident where the people were taken to court over unlawfully defending theirself cuz the state felt that they didn't retreat far enough.
    As far as I know, Duty to retreat only applies outside the home. Castle doctrine or not, you have the right to defend yourself inside your home.
    Last edited by Tucker6900; 09-05-2012 at 12:24 PM.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    Iowa has a "duty to retreat", or as I call it, "Give a criminal the upper hand" law. Those laws are a joke, and go against everything the Constitution stands for.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Update to the story

Quote Originally Posted by Grim_Night View Post
    Aren't you glad you live in america?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-19456928

The burglary victims have been released without charge, after the Crown Prosecution Office ruled that they acted in self defence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...eads-high.html

In a statement, Judith Walker, the chief prosecutor for the East Midlands, said: “Looking at the evidence, it is clear to me that Mr and Mrs Ferrie did what they believed was necessary to protect themselves, and their home, from intruders.
    “I am satisfied that this is a case where householders, faced with intruders in frightening circumstances, acted in reasonable self-defence. We have therefore advised Leicestershire Police that Mr and Mrs Ferrie should be released from their bail as they will not face any charges over what happened.”
    cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt

Quote Originally Posted by NavyMike View Post
    The burglary victims have been released without charge, after the Crown Prosecution Office ruled that they acted in self defence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...eads-high.html

In a statement, Judith Walker, the chief prosecutor for the East Midlands, said: “Looking at the evidence, it is clear to me that Mr and Mrs Ferrie did what they believed was necessary to protect themselves, and their home, from intruders.
    “I am satisfied that this is a case where householders, faced with intruders in frightening circumstances, acted in reasonable self-defence. We have therefore advised Leicestershire Police that Mr and Mrs Ferrie should be released from their bail as they will not face any charges over what happened.”
    You dont see that very often, normal they release the criminal and toss the home owner in jail.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    As far as I know, Duty to retreat only applies outside the home. Castle doctrine or not, you have the right to defend yourself inside your home.
    When I was in college, I wrote a paper on the use of firearms for defense. In my research, I found that Massachusetts had a duty to retreat law which included in your home. In fact, I found one case where a woman had retreated to her basement with her children and a revolver and when the perp appeared at the top of the basement stairs with a kitchen knife in hand, she shot him. She was tried and convicted and sentenced to prison and a fine.

I have no idea if Massachusetts still has such a law on the books. What surprised me was that South Carolina, at the time I did the report, also had a duty to retreat. I wrote that paper in the later 70's.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    You dont see that very often, normal they release the criminal and toss the home owner in jail.
    Yeah, an unexpected outbreak of common sense. We should see more of these, but sadly probably won't.