• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home robbery victoms arested for defending themselves...

Aknazer

Some states have a "duty to retreat" law. I believe there was even a case posted on here at some point since I joined about an incident where the people were taken to court over unlawfully defending theirself cuz the state felt that they didn't retreat far enough.

Tucker6900

Some states have a "duty to retreat" law. I believe there was even a case posted on here at some point since I joined about an incident where the people were taken to court over unlawfully defending theirself cuz the state felt that they didn't retreat far enough.

As far as I know, Duty to retreat only applies outside the home. Castle doctrine or not, you have the right to defend yourself inside your home.

Last edited:

Tucker6900

Iowa has a "duty to retreat", or as I call it, "Give a criminal the upper hand" law. Those laws are a joke, and go against everything the Constitution stands for.

NavyMike

Update to the story

The burglary victims have been released without charge, after the Crown Prosecution Office ruled that they acted in self defence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...asked-burglars-can-hold-their-heads-high.html

In a statement, Judith Walker, the chief prosecutor for the East Midlands, said: “Looking at the evidence, it is clear to me that Mr and Mrs Ferrie did what they believed was necessary to protect themselves, and their home, from intruders.
“I am satisfied that this is a case where householders, faced with intruders in frightening circumstances, acted in reasonable self-defence. We have therefore advised Leicestershire Police that Mr and Mrs Ferrie should be released from their bail as they will not face any charges over what happened.”

zack991

The burglary victims have been released without charge, after the Crown Prosecution Office ruled that they acted in self defence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...asked-burglars-can-hold-their-heads-high.html

In a statement, Judith Walker, the chief prosecutor for the East Midlands, said: “Looking at the evidence, it is clear to me that Mr and Mrs Ferrie did what they believed was necessary to protect themselves, and their home, from intruders.
“I am satisfied that this is a case where householders, faced with intruders in frightening circumstances, acted in reasonable self-defence. We have therefore advised Leicestershire Police that Mr and Mrs Ferrie should be released from their bail as they will not face any charges over what happened.”

You dont see that very often, normal they release the criminal and toss the home owner in jail.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
As far as I know, Duty to retreat only applies outside the home. Castle doctrine or not, you have the right to defend yourself inside your home.

When I was in college, I wrote a paper on the use of firearms for defense. In my research, I found that Massachusetts had a duty to retreat law which included in your home. In fact, I found one case where a woman had retreated to her basement with her children and a revolver and when the perp appeared at the top of the basement stairs with a kitchen knife in hand, she shot him. She was tried and convicted and sentenced to prison and a fine.

I have no idea if Massachusetts still has such a law on the books. What surprised me was that South Carolina, at the time I did the report, also had a duty to retreat. I wrote that paper in the later 70's.