• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to forum, moved from TN

kellanfeyerharm

Sadly I never knew of this site b4 moving back to OR from TN for six years! Awaiting my CHL. So open carry in cars, can I wear it outside my belt while driving. LEO cant see this & I feel confused on the laws regarding open carry w/out CHL. Also what about while on a motorcycle! I'd much rather ask than break a law & hurt the cause of open carry!!!!

hermannr

Sadly I never knew of this site b4 moving back to OR from TN for six years! Awaiting my CHL. So open carry in cars, can I wear it outside my belt while driving. LEO cant see this & I feel confused on the laws regarding open carry w/out CHL. Also what about while on a motorcycle! I'd much rather ask than break a law & hurt the cause of open carry!!!!

First, you need to check out ORS 166.250 (prohibitions against concealed carry) and ORS 166.260 (exceptions to 166.250) ORS 166.250(3) states that a handgun openly carried on your hip in a holster is, (by definition), NOT concealed. Loaded Open Carry on foot, on your bike or in your car is legal....however...

You also need to read ORS 166.173. Oregon allows local governments to restict unlicensed LOADED OC. 166.173 lays out what the local governments can and cannot do. A few local governments have taken advantage of ORS 166.173...like Portland, Beverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, Astoria, Bend, and Springfield (parks restriction only in Springfeld) Not necessarily all of the restricted cities, but that is most of them. If you do not have a license to conceal, just unload your carry and keep the mag (or speed loaders if a revolver) in you pocket until you get out of the restricted local government juristiction.

Also read ORS 166.360-380...has to do with any carry (OC or CC) into a "public" (make sure you read their definition..think city hall, a college etc) which is restricted to holders of an OR CHL... Good luck, have fun, be discreet and no-one will bother you.

Last edited:

kellanfeyerharm

Thanks for the response. Should have clarified that I live in southern OR. Since OR doesn't have reciprocity I'm having to wait 12 weeks since applying (what the sheriffs office told me due to many applicants). I am discreet, I don't flash it about but it is open. I have already had run ins but I politely inform or explain depending on if it's LEO or a civilian. Plus I do record if necessary (w/ their knowledge of course)

We-the-People

Thanks for the response. Should have clarified that I live in southern OR. Since OR doesn't have reciprocity I'm having to wait 12 weeks since applying (what the sheriffs office told me due to many applicants). I am discreet, I don't flash it about but it is open. I have already had run ins but I politely inform or explain depending on if it's LEO or a civilian. Plus I do record if necessary (w/ their knowledge of course)

Where in Southern Oregon if you don't mind? I'm in the Medford area, OC for 3 years and no police interactions.

hermannr

12 weeks...That smells awful funny (not a pleasent type of funny)...Oregon is a must issue, and they have 45 days to do it in...By law. ORS 166.291 and ORS 166.292(1)

We-the-People

12 weeks...That smells awful funny (not a pleasent type of funny)...Oregon is a must issue, and they have 45 days to do it in...By law. ORS 166.291 and ORS 166.292(1)

And here lies a problem that exists in many areas of the law.....when our local servants don't comply with such laws.....what is the penalty? Who will enforce it?

Yep, nothing and/or nobody.

We need laws on the books that have PERSONAL penalties assessed to those in charge who do not comply. Too busy? Sorry, maybe you should cut some social programs and hire more people.