Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a concealable .40

Looking for a concealable .40

My open carry sidearm is a .40 cal, so I would like to find a sidearm chambered the same for concealed carry. Any suggestions?
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Re: Looking for a concealable .40

I'm digging my Walther PPS. Thin, light, and powerful.

You may find more help here:

http://forum.opencarry.com/forums/fo...ting-a-Handgun

Glock 23 - great for open and concealed carry
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

I suggest a Springfield XD-40 subcompact.

What do you OC? Maybe you should look at the same manufacturer & manual of arms. This should keep the learning curve low & leverage your practice time.

Just my $0.02...

Springfield XD .40

Smith & Wesson M&P .40c

Smith & Wesson M&P Shield .40

If no one else is going to say it, I'll say it. SR40c.

OK, no body else said it so I will. Glock 27. But also have to agree with the concept of a smaller version of what you already carry.

Highly concealable .40

Kahr Arms, http://www.kahr.com. Wide choice of factory options.
    Last edited by 6-shooter; 09-04-2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: link

One of my sons has an SR40c and loves it, he OC's a 1911.

My OC sidearm is a Ruger P91DC full frame. Too large and heavy to conceal. From a quick internet search Ruger really doesnt have anything small enough. Their compact is over 7.5 inches long and over 5.5 inches tall. I would like to stick with the .40 cal so I dont have to worry about which ammo to grab. I will look into all the sidearms you folks talked about here, thanks.

Springfield XD-40 Subcompact from personal experience. I'm quite happy with it and it has yet to fail me.

So far the Kahr CM40 is the smallest .40 I have found. Its DAO but the reviews indicate the trigger pull has to go back full before a second shot can be made, that is a little concerning. How is the XD subcompact? Is it a DAO, and the trigger pull?

Kahr trigger feel

Similar to shooting an S&W DA revolver - very smooth, and light. Mine breaks at 7 pounds and trigger travel is only 3/8 inch so arguably better than a stock S&W revolver. And the Kahr does not feel as snappy to me as a baby Glock. Try one if possible.
    Last edited by 6-shooter; 09-05-2012 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Added info

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1 View Post
    My open carry sidearm is a .40 cal, so I would like to find a sidearm chambered the same for concealed carry. Any suggestions?
    Smith and Wesson M&P Shield!!! Awesome gun I have it in both the 40 Cal and 9mm

Sent from my Galaxy S///

So far the Kahr CM40 is the smallest .40 I have found. Its DAO but the reviews indicate the trigger pull has to go back full before a second shot can be made, that is a little concerning. How is the XD subcompact? Is it a DAO, and the trigger pull?
    You're welcome to try out my PPS anytime you'd like. I'd be happy to meet you at Shooters in Caledonia most any weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by oklaccer View Post
    OK, no body else said it so I will. Glock 27. But also have to agree with the concept of a smaller version of what you already carry.
    I'll second this motion. My CC and OC gun is the Glock 27 Gen4. Here's a few reasons you may like it.
    1. It is small and therefore good for concealment. For that matter, it will comfortably fit into a standard front hip pocket in a pair of blue jeans (if you choose to carry like this, I'd recommend not chambering a round or getting a pocket holster of some kind).
    2. If you get the Gen4 version, you get a couple of extra features: adjustable grip size and a reversible magazine release button for left-handed shooters.
    3. Magazines from the larger-sized Glocks will fit into the model 27. So, you can use a model 27 magazine (9 rounds), model 23 magazine (13 rounds), or a model 22/model 35 magazine (15 rounds). Essentially, you can easily convert the 27 (or any sub-compact Glock) into a compact, full size, or target model (without the extra barrel length, of course).

Of course, not everyone likes Glocks. Here's some reasons why you may not like it.
    1. It, along with all Glocks, does not have what most people would consider to be an external safety device (technically, it has one external and two internal safeties; but, all three are de-activated automatically by pulling the trigger). While this makes its operation more simple, it also means that you have to take extra precaution that you "keep your bugger hooker off the bang switch, unless you want it to go bang ."
    2. The frame is make of plastic, instead of metal or wood. This one is simply a matter of personal preference, since some do not like the feel of "plastic guns."
    3. Since the model 27 is both small and chambered in .40 caliber, some people complain that it is too "snappy" on the recoil for their liking.

Just some food for thought....
    "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by sjcea View Post
    Smith and Wesson M&P Shield!!! Awesome gun I have it in both the 40 Cal and 9mm

Sent from my Galaxy S///
    I've heard a lot about the Shield. All in 9. How does it handle in the 40?
    watch your top knot !

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    The Kahr is a true DAO design without second strike capability. The XD, like the M&P series, is sort of a hybrid in that technically both are SAO, but are classified as DAO designs. The reason I say technically SAO is because the trigger only does one thing: it releases the striker via a sear. With both guns, the striker is in a fully cocked condition when held by the sear.

Of course the Kahr's trigger "has to go back full before a second shot can be made". When pulled fully to the rear, which is short at 3/8", the sear is released, the gun fires a cartridge, and the slide retracts to eject the case then moves forward to strip the next round from the magazine and feed it into the barrel (chamber). The nice thing about the Kahr's trigger is that its feel is similar to that of a high quality revolver. There is no stacking or pre-travel as you find in Glock's, M&P's, and XD's. Some folks don't like this but it is an inherently safe trigger design.

The best Kahr's for feel and reliability tend to be the all steel versions and the K40 Elite series is very nice, though expensive. I have a K40 Elite '98 and will never sell it.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 09-05-2012 at 06:59 AM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by oklaccer
    OK, no body else said it so I will. Glock 27.
    +1 (I think that's a total of 3.)

My OC sidearm is a Ruger P91DC full frame. Too large and heavy to conceal. From a quick internet search Ruger really doesnt have anything small enough. Their compact is over 7.5 inches long and over 5.5 inches tall. I would like to stick with the .40 cal so I dont have to worry about which ammo to grab. I will look into all the sidearms you folks talked about here, thanks.
    Actually my sons SR40c Ruger is under 7" long and just 4.61" tall and weighs 23.4oz, might want to work on your google foo.

Quote Originally Posted by moonie View Post
    Actually my sons SR40c Ruger is under 7" long and just 4.61" tall and weighs 23.4oz, might want to work on your google foo.
    No google, just went to Rugers web site and looked at the stats of their .40 centerfire pistol. The SR40 is 7.55 long and 5.52 tall. I now see the SR40c (which is obviously for compact) is 6.85 long and 4.61 high (just over an inch wide). The website didn't mention if it was a single or duel action pistol though, anyone know?

It is dual only.. I have the SR40C as my EDC. It is an exceptional compact pistol for its cartridge size. The recoil management on it is amazing. I have shot full sized 9mm's with more recoil than the SR40C. I also love alot of the features that it comes standard with, as well as the fact that you can slam home a full sized magazine in it, giving you the option to carry it as a "full size duty" or compact. I run mine with the 9 rd mag with one in the chamber, and my 15 rounder as my spare. It is easy and quick to field strip and clean, simple to use, and it is hammer less which makes it a great choice for a CCW. (Just a personal opinion but I hate any weapon that is cc and has a hammer...just another thing that could go wrong on the draw.) Anyways if you have any questions about it just ask and I will do my best to help you out.

My suggestion is Glock if you can accommodate the size, Kahr if not.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

No google, just went to Rugers web site and looked at the stats of their .40 centerfire pistol. The SR40 is 7.55 long and 5.52 tall. I now see the SR40c (which is obviously for compact) is 6.85 long and 4.61 high (just over an inch wide). The website didn't mention if it was a single or duel action pistol though, anyone know?
    Remember that unless they changed it recently the width is measured at the safety. The rest of the gun is quite a bit thinner than at that point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast