• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Positive Concealed Carry / Law Enforcement Encounter

MKEgal

XDM40 said:
Why are so many people so adamant about not talking to the police?
I just don't understand it.
Why is it the new people generally ask this?
Here's a thread with lots of general OC / rights-related info. Near the bottom of the first post is a link (red letters) to a video titled "don't talk with police". Watch it at least once. It's worth the 45min.

Here's a thread all about citizen-police interactions. This one centers on providing ID.
Some of the basic reasons why not:
1) generally, officers have no RAS (reasonable articulable suspicion) to detain a person
2) without RAS, it's illegal to interfere with the liberties of a citizen. Why would you help them commit crimes against you?
3) with or without RAS, all you're doing is providing them information that can & will be used against you. Why would you help them harm you? As Fallschirmjager said:
the demand for identifying documents only serves one purpose, to find some reason to put whoever the officer is talking to in jail. You can't prove you didn't commit a crime just because you can produce a state document saying who you are.
4) officers sometimes make up evidence, accusations, etc., & abuse their discretion to punish people for contempt of cop (as admitted by your friend). Why would you help them?
5) in many states, the requirement is only that you identify yourself.
6) unless you're doing an activity which requires you to carry a license (e.g. driving, cc) why would you carry it? If you don't have it, police can't forcibly take it from you (after handcuffing & searching, all illegally).
7) it's a waste of time.

Now... you can always choose to give up your right(s). But make sure it's a choice, rather than an automatic response to intimidation (including the sort of harassment that your friend admitted to).
Me, there are a couple cops I've had coffee with. But one is a friend & the others are people he brings along, & we're not talking business, just friendly chatting.

Me personally would think that it would be best to cooperate with them.
It makes everything easier.
It makes their job easier.
Being detained (having my gov't-issued identity document held by the officer) does nothing to improve my day. That doesn't help me one bit.
And as Paul has pointed out, being detained for "just a few minutes" 10 times a day (once by every cop who sees you carrying), just long enough to run your ID & your gun, to prove you're not a felon, not wanted for anything, the gun isn't stolen, quickly adds up to a lot of lost time.
That's a chilling effect on RKBA, & that's illegal.

(BTW, would you put up with the demand for ID if all you were doing was playing in the park with your kids / nieces / nephews, & some cop said he wanted to be sure you weren't on the sex offender registry & prohibited from being around kids? I'm guessing not.)

My friend the trooper says that those are the ones that he tends to watch closely and relays the message to the local PD about them and to watch them a little more closely. Along with that they are more likely to give you a ticket for some stupid minor infraction.
So someone has to be just cooperative enough, but not too much so, or else they're suspicious?!?! :mad:
And he'd punish someone for exercising her/his civil rights?!?! :mad:, again

Here's a blog post I did about federal civil rights laws for 2A advocates. Might be a good thing for you & your friend to look over.

And another blog post I did, making a collection of sigs & legal quotes:
"The Claim and exercise of a Constitutional Right cannot be converted into a crime."
Miller v. U.S.

“Selective prosecution when referring to the decision to prosecute in retaliation for the exercise of a constitutional right gives rise to an actionable right under the constitution."
County of Kenosha [WI] v. C. & S. Management, Inc.

"Stopping a car for no other reason than to check the license and registration was unreasonable under the 4th amendment."
Delaware v. Prouse

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Should you cooperate with the police?
Anecdotal evidence suggests that although they want you to cooperate with them, their cooperating with the public is the furthest thing from their minds.

1) A conversation wherein I was told by Sgt Chapel, a supervisor for the Gwinnett County Police Department (Georgia) that cooperation was "expected".

SGT Chapel, "You know, your permit is a privilege as well as a right. It can be taken away from you as well."
CAP, "By the Probate Court Jud-…"
CAP, "- would you like the number?"
SGT Chapel, "- we have the number."
SGT Chapel, "... and when you’re given a permit you’re expected to cooperate a little bit with law enf-"
CAP, "Actually, I’m required to cooperate; as required by law."
SGT Chapel, "Why aren’t you?"
CAP, "What am I not doing that’s required?"
SGT Chapel, "(silence)"
CAP, "What am I not doing that’s required, Sergeant Chapel?"
SGT Chapel, "(silence)"
SGT Chapel, "Did you drive here, sir, or did you walk here?"
SGT Chapel, " Did you drive here, or did you walk here?"
SGT Chapel, "There you go, right there."

2) A conversation wherein I asked if a mobile fingerprint scanner was available:

CAP, "You don’t have a mobile fingerprint scanner? They don’t cost that much."
SGT Chapel. "Would you agree to it, uh, if we did have one?"
CAP, "Do you have one?"
SGT Chapel, "Would you agree to it?"
CAP, "We’re going to have one of those little back and forths again, aren’t we?"
SGT Chapel. "You started it."

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

PolkaJoe

Banned
Ok so I guess this is a good place to ask this. Why are so many people so adamant about not talking to the police? I just don't understand it. Me personally would think that it would be best to cooperate with them. It makes everything easier.

Here is my 2 cents. I have 2 family members who are both former cops (father and uncle) and a very close friend who is a Wisconsin State Trooper. I have discussed this with all of them at length and I get basically the same response from them all. They all say that whenever they encountered someone who was unwilling to cooperate fully or just the opposite, go out of there way to tell them everything, were generally the ones that they found not to trust. Those were the ones who they found to be possible trouble. My friend the trooper says that those are the ones that he tends to watch closely and relays the message to the local PD about them and to watch them a little more closely. Along with that they are more likely to give you a ticket for some stupid minor infraction.

So my belief is that if I were to get pulled over while carrying my sidearm I would notify the officer while I hand them my information that I am carrying. Makes both of our lives easier.

A very good post XDM40, cooperation works very well for me.

Fallschirjmäger

Fallschirmjäger said:
Cap: "we’re going to have one of those little back and forths again, aren’t we?"
sgt chapel: "you started it."

SGT Chapel was introduced to me as "the man who'll answer all your questions, I wouldn't mess with him."
Funny thing... he didn't answer many questions and as soon as he found out that he was NOT in charge he either got distracted by something shiny or remembered that he'd left the iron on at home. Either way, he decided he wanted to be somewhere else and doing anything else rather than talking to me.