• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry arizona

nathan928

hello i live in Arizona and kinda new to open carry..i am 19 gonna turn 20 on October 1st..anyways i just learned i can open carry with out being 21.i just have one main question can i carry my gun with a loaded magazine but just not one in the chamber?

Sorcice

That's like carrying a paper weight with a fancy grip. Basically anywhere you can OC legally you can carry chambered with the exception of CA(and even that is almost completely gone). Since your new please watch the video below, always carry a recorder for police encounters, and enjoy AZs constitutional carry you lucky SOB! :)

Heres the vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Cheers!

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Nathan,

You don't need to carry a round in the chamber. Lots of carriers (CC or OC, and lots older than you) don't and for several reasons. You just adjust your TACTICS accordingly. It's no big deal.

Even those people in states (??) that are only allowed the carry of an UNloaded handgun (no round in chamber, no magazine in gun but it's in your pocket) are okay, too. Again, you adjust your tactics accordingly to overcome any "shortcoming" -- either real or perceived.

No matter how they carry then, ALL the people above are "armed and dangerous" to criminals...so don't fret on that point. The MAIN rule to observe is to have a gun ON you at ALL times. Exactly HOW one prefers to carry -- loaded or not, Condition 1, 2 or 3 -- is either a personal choice or a matter of state law. People regularly overlook the fact that having a gun is only HALF the self-defense equation, the OTHER half is Tactics.

Whatever, you're not AT ALL carrying any "paper-weight" with no round in the chamber -- whether (if) the State makes you or YOU want to.

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

This is Arizona... keep that in mind. If you open carry (or carry at all)... it's advisable to have one in the pipe and locked. If it's a Glock... be careful. Here's your tactic... 'Shoot first and get shot less.'

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Get a proper holster. Get training so you are comfortable carrying a sidearm as it is designed, loaded.

Enjoy AZ's relative freedom. I live there half the time as a landowner in Mohave County.

Since someone mentioned CA as an exception to loaded carry (which I won't pretend to know their convoluted and constantly changing laws on the matter), also be aware that until you have a permit, you also may not have a round in the chamber in UT, another bordering state to you, unless you are in your vehicle or on private property. But you may also openly carry there (without hassles, unlike CA).

nathan928

Nathan,

You don't need to carry a round in the chamber. Lots of carriers (CC or OC, and lots older than you) don't and for several reasons. You just adjust your TACTICS accordingly. It's no big deal.

Even those people in states (??) that are only allowed the carry of an UNloaded handgun (no round in chamber, no magazine in gun but it's in your pocket) are okay, too. Again, you adjust your tactics accordingly to overcome any "shortcoming" -- either real or perceived.

No matter how they carry then, ALL the people above are "armed and dangerous" to criminals...so don't fret on that point. The MAIN rule to observe is to have a gun ON you at ALL times. Exactly HOW one prefers to carry -- loaded or not, Condition 1, 2 or 3 -- is either a personal choice or a matter of state law. People regularly overlook the fact that having a gun is only HALF the self-defense equation, the OTHER half is Tactics.

Whatever, you're not AT ALL carrying any "paper-weight" with no round in the chamber -- whether (if) the State makes you or YOU want to.[/QU thanks for the answer but i was just wondering if i could have my gun loaded but NOT one in the chamber.its not that im scared to have one in the chamber i just choose to not.id rather have no accidents i like having that last little step of racking one in

nathan928

This is Arizona... keep that in mind. If you open carry (or carry at all)... it's advisable to have one in the pipe and locked. If it's a Glock... be careful. Here's your tactic... 'Shoot first and get shot less.'
i carry a yugo m57 762x25 i like it i took all the bluing off and polished that baby up looks good!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
i carry a yugo m57 762x25 i like it i took all the bluing off and polished that baby up looks good!!

Have never known anyone to do that. Bluing serves as a protective barrier against the elements.

What was your reason for doing that?

azcdlfred

hello i live in Arizona and kinda new to open carry..i am 19 gonna turn 20 on October 1st..anyways i just learned i can open carry with out being 21.i just have one main question can i carry my gun with a loaded magazine but just not one in the chamber?
Adding to all the other comments.

Under Arizona law, your gun is a "weapon" whether it's operational, loaded or unloaded, and being under 21 does not mean you have to carry it in Condition Three (empty chamber with full magazine in gun) or Condition Four (aka Embassy Carry - empty chamber and empty gun).

Fred

GWbiker

Adding to all the other comments.

................or Condition Four (aka Embassy Carry - empty chamber and empty gun).

Fred

While being refused armed Military reinforcements. (Don't forget that, too)

Varmiter

Nathan928,

I applaud your enthusiasm, however, this may sound brutal, which is not my intention. Facts are facts, regardless of one’s age.

IN ARIZONA:

1. You CANNOT purchase a firearm from an FFL. A private purchase or gift is another matter.
2. You can OPENLY carry ONLY.
3. Constitutional Carry, and/or AZ permit(s) are open to you once you reach 21 or older.
4. Open carry in a vehicle is a very grey gray area (especially with LEO’s). Care must be taken when in a vehicle with ANYONE else who is under 21 as a passenger in the same vehicle.

Lastly, I could go on for several pages so may I make a suggestion?

Although you are still too young to obtain an AZ permit, in my opinion, you would be WELL SERVED to take a CC course, even tho you won’t be able to obtain a permit. The insight you will get will serve you well.

Chris

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Nathan928,

I applaud your enthusiasm, however, this may sound brutal, which is not my intention. Facts are facts, regardless of one’s age.

IN ARIZONA:

1. You CANNOT purchase a firearm from an FFL. ...

We are assuming you mean a handgun, right?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Yes.....AND......No. The Feds have a say so in this.

Okay, I'm confused. It is the Federal FFL regulations that prohibit their sales to under 21 for handguns. Under what circumstances can he (being 19) not buy a long gun in Arizona?

Varmiter

Okay, I'm confused. It is the Federal FFL regulations that prohibit their sales to under 21 for handguns. Under what circumstances can he (being 19) not buy a long gun in Arizona?

I've seen this sort of question so many times. .............. SO

Research both Fed and AZ laws. If I gave you the answer, it would be quickly forgotten. If you find the answer yourself, then you will remember the research you needed to do to find the answer.

If I can research a law, so can everyone else.

Chris

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Research both Fed and AZ laws. If I gave you the answer, it would be quickly forgotten. If you find the answer yourself, then you will remember the research you needed to do to find the answer.

If I can research a law, so can everyone else.

Chris

That is not the way OCDO functions Chris. The person making the claim is the one directed to provide the source/cite.

5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Please do not presume to change the rules here, nor presume that others cannot learn from an open, straight forward presentation of the facts.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

If I can research a law, so can everyone else...

Maybe you forgot where you are. We have a rule here. You are the one obligated to cite to authority, especially when it seems you know something the rest of us do not.

With a "Yes and no" BS answer, you implied it was Federal law that restricted the 19-year old from long gun buying from a dealer, and told said 19-year old he could not buy firearms in AZ and won't even confirm that that is what you really meant.

I'm not a lazy learner. I will admit I am not an expert in AZ firearms law, as I am with NV and UT, though I am an AZ property owner and promise you I will not forget something that you "teach" me.

Last edited:

Varmiter

Ok Guys,

I get the picture.

If that is the name of the game, and you are either unable, or unwilling to do your own research, so be it.

I’m happy with what I know of the law. The question is.....are you?

A challenge. Feel free to prove me wrong. ......Oops, that would require someone to do their own research.

Chris

Chris.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Ok Guys,

I get the picture.

If that is the name of the game, and you are either unable, or unwilling to do your own research, so be it.

I’m happy with what I know of the law. The question is.....are you?

A challenge. Feel free to prove me wrong. ......Oops, that would require someone to do their own research.

Chris

Chris.
If this is your attitude, you need to remove your posts where you touted your unverified "knowledge," telling others to act on it. You accepted these rules when you joined, and you should let your "Yes" mean yes. That's in the Bible, somewhere, but go find it yourself (and yes, that's easy to find, but that's not the point).

BTW, simple Googling is bringing up LOTS of results that an 18-year old can buy a rifle in AZ, just like most (if not all) states. I'm thinking your hubris is preventing you from a mild retraction. This is what caused WW1, you know (take my word for it; or read a history book, I don't care which...).

Last edited:

Varmiter

Ok.....I don't mind additional research. I will not remove any previous post.

The challenge still stands.

Chris

Last edited: