• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry arizona

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Challenge unaccepted. I am simply advising the OP to ignore you because you are wrong. He can buy long guns in AZ and I already know this.

Varmiter

Challenge unaccepted. I am simply advising the OP to ignore you because you are wrong. He can buy long guns in AZ and I already know this.

Fair enough.

But, as I have been challenged, you should be good enough to quote the law from which you base your opinion.

Actually, you are correct. but since the OP, who seems to have disappeared, will learn nothing, nor will anyone else here who hasn't looked up the law.

My whole point here is we each need to look up / learn, both Fed and States laws. Anything less is asking for trouble.

Debating what the law ACTUALLY says is a subject I will willing debate. But if you, or anyone, is going to carry/purchase/own/possess/ a firearm, not only does he/she owe it to themselves, but also to their family, to have a working knowledge of the relevant law.

The so called forum rules:

In my own defense, the citation(s) have been stated numerous times both here and elsewhere, so before a Mod jumps in, he himself should do a bit of research.

Chris

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
The so called forum rules:

In my own defense, the citation(s) have been stated numerous times both here and elsewhere, so before a Mod jumps in, he himself should do a bit of research.

Chris

Chris,

One of the goals of the forum is to be a resource for those new to open carry and to firearms law. To make a statement that seems to run contrary to known state and federal law and then to cryptically state that those who disagree with you would know better if they 'did their own research' is more than just flaunting the rules ... it is a real 'dick move.'

For the OP, the federal law governing long gun purchases is codified at

18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1) and 27 CFR 478.99(b)

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—

(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

Therefore, in the absence of any state law to the contrary, you may purchase long guns at 18 and handguns at 21.

John

March Hare

Welcome to the forum.

In addition to what John posted, here's what I tell my out of state visitors when they ask about AZ gun laws.

First; I am NOT a lawyer, check the facts and laws yourself, so you are sure you understand them! (Link to ARS below)

It is completely legal to carry with a full magazine and with a round in the chamber, that's how I do it.

In addition:

If you are:
Over 18: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly.
Over 21: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly or discretely.
You can carry whichever way you prefer and that is legal for your age range.

There are some exceptions;

You can't carry openly into any place that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises.
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises without a concealed carry permit. Your firearm must remain concealed, and, you can NOT consume alcohol!
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises if they have signs posted prohibiting firearms. (They don't get my money...)

Private businesses can ask you to leave, if you don't you can be charged with trespassing. (None of my money there either!)

No carrying into Federal government buildings or onto school grounds. The 1000' GFSZ law isn't enforced in AZ.
Be careful around reservation land, they have their own rules and it can get dicey.

Of course, drinking and carrying is a bad combination, don't!

When in a vehicle, you may carry discretely if you are over 21. If stopped by a LEO, you might be asked if you have a firearm, if you are asked, you must tell them. They might take the firearm for the duration of the stop.

You can purchase long guns and ammunition for them at 18 and handguns and their ammunition at 21. No limit on the number of rounds you can purchase.

AzcdlFred posted this:
I highly recommend you print and read this document: Arizona Gun Owners Guide
It's the best resource you can find for Arizona's gun laws and what they mean.
It's not free, but well worth the small price.

You can keep up to date and help make things better for gun owners by visiting and joining Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL).

It's always best to go directly to the source of the law to find out where you stand!
The law as written: Arizona Revised Statutes - 13-3102. Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions

That covers most of the firearms law where it pertains to personal carry, as I understand it. INAL!
If I've missed or misunderstood anything, please let me know and I'll update my info.

-MH

Last edited: