Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster help: Taurus 2" .357

Holster help: Taurus 2" .357

I carry my .357 instead of my S&W 539 because I'm a better shot with it. I'm ready to upgrade from my cheapo snap closure nylon holster. My belly band is comfortable, but doesn't have retention. What kind of fancy retainer paddle holsters are available?

One of my favorite carry weapons is a 605 Taurus SS ported. It's heavy, and doesn't get carried everyday. I've gone through half a dozen holsters for it before sticking with this Forbes paddle:

http://www.amazon.com/Fobus-Standard.../dp/B000JWOBKE

I don't know how the holster wear will be with a blued revolver. No problems with the Stainless Steel I carry.

I like it because the top of the holster keeps the butt close to my side, just above my belt. Some holsters allow the butt to fall away from my side, which I don't care for. I wear button down shirts with a T shirt under it typically. The paddle goes between the t shirt and button down shirt tail, so I don't experience any against the skin discomfort. Took me a bit to get the hang of drawing the weapon without my full focus on the draw. Important if you are fending off pirates and dragons and trying to shake out the weapon at the same time.

Considering the cost, it's a low risk investment that offers retention, a paddle that conforms to your build, is unobtrusive, discreet, and versatile. YMMV.
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

"People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

And as a side note......I, too hit well with my 2" Taurus at 7 yards, and have no shame in the target damage I can do at 25 yards. If they're [bad guy[s]] further away than that, I'll be considering options of getting to a rifle.....
    The Taurus weight and balance make target re-acquisition smoother, and I can withstand the recoil, making practice enjoyable. I've put about 1500 rounds through mine, with every indication I'll be able to fire that many more.
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

"People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

The best holster for a Taurus - pic posted. I encourage every Taurus owner to put their Taurus in one of these bad boys. You'll thank yourself later.

“The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    The best holster for a Taurus - pic posted. I encourage every Taurus owner to put their Taurus in one of these bad boys. You'll thank yourself later.

That's one of the most immature things I've ever seen. It's about shooter preference. And quite frankly, that holster is a terrible option.

This would be a much more appropriate holster given how compact it is, and you can at least recycle it to be melted down and made into a quality firearm such as a Glock, or even a Ruger. Cheers!

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mahkagari View Post
    I carry my .357 instead of my S&W 539 because I'm a better shot with it. I'm ready to upgrade from my cheapo snap closure nylon holster. My belly band is comfortable, but doesn't have retention. What kind of fancy retainer paddle holsters are available?
    I carry an 605 occasionally and I like the fobus they make for it. When I first began using it the draw was very tight. I few dozen practice draws loosened it up to about perfect retension.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Plz, kid. Stick to what U actually know about.

Last edited by j4l; 09-05-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j4l View Post
    Plz, kid. Stick to what U actually know about.
    >Calls me a kid

>uses terms kid, 'plz' and 'U' when meaning 'you'

>takes picture of himself posing with airsoft guns and thinks it would be a cool demotivational poster

>claims he isn't a kid
    >doesn't know jokes on him

1/10 because I replied
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”

>Calls me a kid

>uses terms kid, 'plz' and 'U' when meaning 'you'

>takes picture of himself posing with airsoft guns and thinks it would be a cool demotivational poster

>claims he isn't a kid
    >doesn't know jokes on him

1/10 because I replied
    -2/10, because you not only replied, but failed on all points. bonus -1 point for utter failure of deflection attempt. Your buddy provided the picture of you from when the two of you went "gun shopping"
    Last edited by j4l; 09-05-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Complete devolution in less than 10 posts. That's GOT to be a record, even for OCDO.

Complete devolution in less than 10 posts. That's GOT to be a record, even for OCDO.
    Nah, if given the chance, Shitz will wreck a post within 1 or 2, easy.

Nah, if given the chance, Shitz will wreck a post within 1 or 2, easy.
    says the guy who posted his picture in front of airsoft guns in a thread dedicated to holsters.

Y'all are giving me nightmares. I dreamt last night that I drew on a drifter approaching my daughter and for some reason the hammer on my "old fashioned wheel gun" was made of wood and had broken off.

Y'all are giving me nightmares. I dreamt last night that I drew on a drifter approaching my daughter and for some reason the hammer on my "old fashioned wheel gun" was made of wood and had broken off.
    I would'nt sweat it. In recent years, the Mythology of Taurus malfunctions has been over-stated, and often based on folks who've never even held one, regurgitating stories they heard years ago, from others. The rest usually end up being proven to be operator-headspace and timing issues, or a failure to fully inspect the arm they (thought) that they had bought "new", before going out and trying to use it.
    If you've looked it over, and if it functions well enough now, I wouldnt worry about it.

I would'nt sweat it. In recent years, the Mythology of Taurus malfunctions has been over-stated
    I wouldn't say "over stated." In recent years i bought a few taurus guns. 2 which arrived NIB - BROKEN. To be fair Taurus honors their lifetime warranty and their repair service is very fast (gun is back in 1-2 weeks) - which is great, because you're going to need it.

I wouldn't say "over stated." In recent years i bought a few taurus guns. 2 which arrived NIB - BROKEN. To be fair Taurus honors their lifetime warranty and their repair service is very fast (gun is back in 1-2 weeks) - which is great, because you're going to need it.
    Well, again, we are discussing real firearms, vs. the airsoft pistols you are legally able to purchase, as this time so...

In all seriousness though- it can happen with any brand/make/model, I've heard of the same issues from folks who've bought Remington, S&W, SIG, COLT, you name it. And even some of those dont have as speedy as a warranty/customer-support system, soo..

Did you purchase these, un-seen- via the internet? or via FFL transfer? I'm inclined to think so, since you mentioned "arrived"...
    One reason I'm very reluctant to buy something like firearms by that method, myself. I prefer to handle/inspect -as much as I can- such an item before even thinking about buying it-from ANY manufacturer.

I have owned 4 new Taurus guns. They are a good product for their price tags. They are reliable. But they are a "lower quality" gun. You do get what you pay for. Don't expect to get Kimber quality for 1/3 the price. Just expect to get a reliable firearm.
    Last edited by twoskinsonemanns; 09-08-2012 at 11:07 PM.

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    Just expect to get a reliable firearm.
    Yeah, it's accurate, functions reliably, and I picked it up for a song. I could have paid 2 or 3 times as much (which I did for my wife's Ruger), but it was a good deal for what I needed.

Well, again, we are discussing real firearms, vs. the airsoft pistols you are legally able to purchase, as this time so...
    >doesn't know that you can purchase handguns at 18 in the United States

I've heard of the same issues from folks who've bought Remington, S&W, SIG, COLT, you name it. And even some of those dont have as speedy as a warranty/customer-support system, soo..
    Sure you can hear one of these stories about other manufacturers, but they are only here and there and hard to come across. Taurus has a terrible reputation for a reason - I can testify to that. I didn't just buy 1 taurus gun, have an issue, and call them crap. I've owned several, 2 of which were broken NIB.

If you own a Taurus that works great, good for you. Keep it, I don't care. Not my problem

Taurus has a terrible reputation for a reason - I can testify to that. I didn't just buy 1 taurus gun, have an issue, and call them crap. I've owned several
    How many of these "several" did you keep buying before deciding they were no good?

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    How many of these "several" did you keep buying before deciding they were no good?
    First one was a dud. 2nd one was a 1911 but the rail was too big for a holster that made me happy so I sold it. Next 1911 was a dud. The next 1911 looked fine - till you looked inside. The parts appeared to be thrown through a jet engine. O_O

First one was a dud. 2nd one was a 1911 but the rail was too big for a holster that made me happy so I sold it. Next 1911 was a dud. The next 1911 looked fine - till you looked inside. The parts appeared to be thrown through a jet engine. O_O
    Define dud.
    And answer the question: Bought sight-unseen via net or FFL transfer, or inspected before purchase?
    And, what other items are you inclined to purchase 3-4 times, experiencing multiple "duds" before you finally decide to perhaps look @ another brand/make/model -especially in a market (1911s) so full of choices?
    Can you actually blame a brand/make, or can you actually blame yourself for repeatedly making the same mistakes-(if even remotely true-personally, im calling flat-out bs.)

Define dud.
    And answer the question: Bought sight-unseen via net or FFL transfer, or inspected before purchase?
    And, what other items are you inclined to purchase 3-4 times, experiencing multiple "duds" before you finally decide to perhaps look @ another brand/make/model -especially in a market (1911s) so full of choices?
    Can you actually blame a brand/make, or can you actually blame yourself for repeatedly making the same mistakes-(if even remotely true-personally, im calling flat-out bs.)
    Dud: a handgun that does not function properly new out of the box

Because so many people called BS on all the taurus horror stories, I figured maybe I had just got bad luck and wasn't giving them a fair chance.

Bought sight-unseen via net or FFL transfer, or inspected before purchase?
    The first POS I bought in person. I didn't know anything about guns as this was one of my first purchases. Seemed fine checking it out there, was shot once at the range then thrown into my wife's glove box for self defense. (M85 .38, not something you just take out shooting for fun)
    2nd POS was ordered straight from the Taurus Factory. Didn't think they were that awful that straight from Taurus it would be a dud.
    3rd POS was ordered online - surely people like J4L who call BS on these stories are right, there is no way I can have a problem with quality control for a 3rd time in a row.

I blame myself for not listening to all the people who called taurus for what it is in the first place. That was stupid, to see so many people cry about how awful they are and to buy 1 in the first place after that was stupid. To buy another was just plain dumb. And yes, part of the blame does go to the manufacturer, they make the crap and ship it out - only part though. I mostly take the blame for myself. But it was a learning experience and now I make sure to inform everyone I run into who is in the market for a gun, DON'T BUY A TAURUS.

Except for you j4l, these are made up stories about airsoft guns, and you should DEFINATELY go buy taurus products. They're verrrrry reliable, great for self-defense under any condition. All these stories are made up and I have no idea why people are making up stories about taurus.

Because so many people called BS on all the taurus horror stories, I figured maybe I had just got bad luck and wasn't giving them a fair chance.

The first POS I bought in person. I didn't know anything about guns as this was one of my first purchases. Seemed fine checking it out there, was shot once at the range then thrown into my wife's glove box for self defense. (M85 .38, not something you just take out shooting for fun)
    2nd POS was ordered straight from the Taurus Factory. Didn't think they were that awful that straight from Taurus it would be a dud.
    3rd POS was ordered online - surely people like J4L who call BS on these stories are right, there is no way I can have a problem with quality control for a 3rd time in a row.

I blame myself for not listening to all the people who called taurus for what it is in the first place. That was stupid, to see so many people cry about how awful they are and to buy 1 in the first place after that was stupid. To buy another was just plain dumb. And yes, part of the blame does go to the manufacturer, they make the crap and ship it out - only part though. I mostly take the blame for myself. But it was a learning experience and now I make sure to inform everyone I run into who is in the market for a gun, DON'T BUY A TAURUS.

Except for you j4l, these are made up stories about airsoft guns, and you should DEFINATELY go buy taurus products. They're verrrrry reliable, great for self-defense under any condition. All these stories are made up and I have no idea why people are making up stories about taurus.

About what I figured- a complete lack of detail as to any specific malfunctions-or any efforts to troubleshoot the imaginary malfunctions, despite typical operator-headspace, and timing -related elements. Fired once, tossed in a box...sounds like an outstanding level of 1st-hand experience with the item, enabling one to define a simple revolver as "pos" , considering all one has to do with it is load it, aim it, and fire it....all of...one time.. facepalm.

Straight from the Factory eh? When, exactly, did you obtain your personal FFL or re-seller's licenses? Didnt think so..

But, hey, 2 times prior, less-than-satisified that a budget firearm didnt shoot laser-beams and flash and blink gold sparkles when the trigger is pulled? Yeah, let's buy another one- this time without having any oppty to see if it's functional or in fact, "new" before some clown online sells me something he's used 10000000 times without issue....facepalm...

Nuff said. Fantasies, delusions, whatever, all still rather amusing.

Sorry dude, too much BS here to consider it legit.

A gun the functions fine the one time to took it to the range is a dud?
    A single gun ordered straight from Taurus?
    No specific failures mentioned?

This is trolling against Taurus. Nothing real. Have you ever actually owned one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast