• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The most difficult legal question ever posted on OCDO

EMNofSeattle

So the other night I'm sitting in the living room, and my mom loves watching this TLC show called Abbey and Brittany which documents two teenage girls who are conjoined twin sisters. Now me, I don't normally watch TLC, I was just waiting for the new episode of Grimm to come on, but anyway. In this episode of A&B they're taking a roadtrip to chicago and mention how both of the conjoined twins have driver's licenses and they each have to control a different part of the car (one does the pedals, other does steering, and one does heat and the other does turn signals, man would that SUCK if they had to drive a stickshift like that?)

well so with this in mind.

If a pair of conjoined twins wanted to carry concealed, would they both need CPLs?
What if one half consents to a search and/or detention while the other twin is trying to assert their rights?
If one twin were convicted of a crime, would that one be punished for felon in possession if the other half carries and has no background?

Who would any citation be addressed to?

If they're legally two different individuals, would detaining or arresting them for an offense commited by one be an unlawful arrest/false imprisonment of the other?

What say you?

davidmcbeth

Banned
If a pair of conjoined twins wanted to carry concealed, would they both need CPLs?
What if one half consents to a search and/or detention while the other twin is trying to assert their rights?
If one twin were convicted of a crime, would that one be punished for felon in possession if the other half carries and has no background?

Who would any citation be addressed to?

If they're legally two different individuals, would detaining or arresting them for an offense commited by one be an unlawful arrest/false imprisonment of the other?

What say you?

Grimm? lol Yes they both need CPLs ... and no , no false arrest/detainment. Imprisonment? They both go...for being an accessory of course.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If a pair of conjoined twins wanted to carry concealed, would they both need CPLs? - Yes, just as the state required both sides to get a driver's license. Now, if only one side wanted to carry concealed, only that side would need a CPL, since each separately controls the volitional activity on their side. In practical terms, they would need to coperatively agree since one side cannot go anywhere without the other side. If one side wants to carry and the other side is anti-gun then for all practical purposes it's a stalemate.

What if one half consents to a search and/or detention while the other twin is trying to assert their rights? - For all practical purposes the side "asserting their rights" as you put it will be detained and searched along with the other side whose behavior prompted the stop and reason for searching. Even though each side independently controls their side I would not expect a cop on the street to consider that a possibility. Even if the cop considered the possibility that one side could act independently of the other, the cop is going to cite "officer safety" in searching both sides.

If one twin were convicted of a crime, would that one be punished for felon in possession if the other half carries and has no background? - If one side is convicted of a felony and the other, non-felon, side decided to carry and were able to maintain control of the firearm then the felon side should not be considered in possession or even in constructive possession. Each side acts independently and cannot reach over to the other side. The question I would have fun watching being answered is how to keep the felon side from viewing the combination for wherever the non-felon side locks up her firearm when not carrying/holding it. And even if the felon side did see the combination the non-felon side could prevent her from gaining possession of the firearm simply by not cooperatively moving.

Who would any citation be addressed to? - To the side alleged to have been the transgressor. My question is, after determining which side of the body committed the infraction, does it matter in terms of any punishment imposed? One side could prevent the other side from driving under the influence, for instance, just by refusing to cooperate in getting into the vehicle. On the other hand, since drinking by one will effect the other, they would both be guilty if they agreed to cooperatively drive after only one side did the actual drinking. Lock one side up and you effectively lock up the other side. Unless the non-guilty side wants to be physically separated, what happens to one happens to the other.

If they're legally two different individuals, would detaining or arresting them for an offense commited by one be an unlawful arrest/false imprisonment of the other? - Nope! You need to undestand the difference between two sides and two individuals. They are both cooperatively responsible for anything the body does, as one side cannot do anything without the cooperation and assistance of the other.

The requirement for each to get their own drivers license goes to the issue of each one controlling only one half of the body. For almost all activities they must cooperatively coordinate voluntary bodily activity, which meant that each half had to demonstrate knowledge and proficiency in the activities of driving associated with her specific half of the body. If one passed the test and the other did not, the one who passed the test could not operate all of the controls independently and thus drive "by herself". In my mind I see that pretty much any activity that one side tries to do that is illegal can be stopped or countered by the other side refusing to cooperate. If, for example, the right side wants to speed and pushes down on the acclerator the left side can counter by pushing down on the brakes.

How you thought this (these, actually) would be the most difficult question(s) ever posed on OCDO escapes me. Once you understand that two separate personalities (sides) controlling one half of the body must act cooperatively in order to do almost everything, the answers fall like over-ripe fruit.

stay safe.

georg jetson

Wow... so many issues it makes my head hurt. My GF was watching the same show last night and the first thought that popped into my head after hearing that each controlled a side of their body was... how do they decide who wipes?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Wow... so many issues it makes my head hurt. My GF was watching the same show last night and the first thought that popped into my head after hearing that each controlled a side of their body was... how do they decide who wipes?

Obama or Romney will take care of it for them by creating another government program.

EMNofSeattle

Grimm? A & B? Uh, does you mother often come over to your place to watch her show(s)?

Nope, I still live at home for now, I have adequate savings to finish my two year college so I've been allowed to stay while I finish that

I don't generally watch TLC shows.

But Grimm is pretty good, by pretty good I mean I don't care what the show is about as long a it's a mainstream primetime production that features some location in the pacific northwest

EMNofSeattle

Oh! That's why I cut myself on some of the precisely machined internals of my Ruger. Now I understand. :p:)

Tis merely a joke I made up to show my brand loyalty to S&W. I am a very big fan of Ruger too, although I've never actually fired a ruger revolver, I've fired several Ruger rifles, and a Ruger P-345 semi.

Redbaron007

When a tree falls in the woods and there is no one to hear it.......is the woman always right? :eek:

Lasjayhawk

let's take it to the end game.

If they shot each other, would it be a double murder, or a double suicide?

OC for ME

Nope, I still live at home for now, I have adequate savings to finish my two year college so I've been allowed to stay while I finish that

I don't generally watch TLC shows.

But Grimm is pretty good, by pretty good I mean I don't care what the show is about as long a it's a mainstream primetime production that features some location in the pacific northwest
Good luck on the two year degree and shoot for the four year degree. I had the bucks but my mom and dad gave me the boot anyway. Actually, had my own house but I hate to cook or do laundry.....thus the reason I am now married.

KBCraig

They are both cooperatively responsible for anything the body does, as one side cannot do anything without the cooperation and assistance of the other.

I can think of several actions that one might take independently, with no cooperation from the other, or maybe not even her knowledge. If Right Side shoplifts an item by sticking it in her right pocket and Left Side doesn't even see it, can Lefty be jailed along with her sister?

If Lefty decides to suddenly slap or stab someone standing within arm's reach before Righty could react to prevent it, does Righty get tossed in the clink?

If Lefty is being arrested and Righty passively refuses to put her hand behind their back to be handcuffed, is Righty guilty of resisting arrest even though she's not the one being arrested?

Fascinating topic of discussion.

For those not familiar with these twins, it is effectly one body with two heads. Two arms, two legs, one torso, and two heads. A very extreme case of being conjoined, from the neck(s) down.