Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Hello from NE South Dakota!

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    3

    Hello from NE South Dakota!

    Hey whats up OpenCarry? I'm from NE corner of South Dakota and had a few questions about concealed/open carry of handguns.

    First off I'm 19 years old, and I'm pretty sure private party sales of handguns to adults under 21 is legal but I wanted to confirm.
    Also if this is legal how is registration of the handgun transferred?
    This last one is just an opinion, a concealed carry permit in SD is no longer necessary - should I still get one?

    Any help is appreciated! Thanks fellow gun enthusiasts.

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    Hey whats up OpenCarry? I'm from NE corner of South Dakota and had a few questions about concealed/open carry of handguns.

    First off I'm 19 years old, and I'm pretty sure private party sales of handguns to adults under 21 is legal but I wanted to confirm.
    Also if this is legal how is registration of the handgun transferred?
    This last one is just an opinion, a concealed carry permit in SD is no longer necessary - should I still get one?

    Any help is appreciated! Thanks fellow gun enthusiasts.
    Welcome to OCDO.

    The answers to your questions are here:

    There is no registration, but you can't by from an FFL until 21 yo:
    http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys...gunlaws_sd.htm

    General quick reference:
    http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html

    Eighteen (18) years old for a permit to conceal:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southdakota.pdf
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Fuller Malarkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Cadre
    Posts
    1,077
    Hello. I've been carrying in your area as recent as this morning [Watertown]. Here's some info you might find useful:

    http://sdsos.gov/content/viewcontent...olpermits.shtm
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

    From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

    "People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the reading material, answered a bunch of questions :-)
    Any ideas of where to buy from private sellers? Search the papers?
    (Assuming I can buy from private sellers, I didn't catch anything in the reading material against it. From my research so far it should be legal.)

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    Thanks for the reading material, answered a bunch of questions :-)
    Any ideas of where to buy from private sellers? Search the papers?
    (Assuming I can buy from private sellers, I didn't catch anything in the reading material against it. From my research so far it should be legal.)
    You asked the exact same questions in almost the same words in Nov. 2011 and got detailed information/responses. Did you expect to get different answers here?
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...th-dakota.html

    We don't mind helping people get started, but it is incumbent upon the individual to be forthright and responsible - this is not a game to us. Learn to do your own research so that you personally know what the laws are, not what someone else tells you - 2nd hand information is worth exactly what you pay for it.

    I will grant you that we cite/link to the laws considerably more than most forums - in fact that is a rule here. So going to go with giving you the benefit of the doubt and conclude that you are just being careful.

    Good luck with your quest - hope to see you around the forum. Enjoy.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    You asked the exact same questions in almost the same words in Nov. 2011 and got detailed information/responses. Did you expect to get different answers here?
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...th-dakota.html

    We don't mind helping people get started, but it is incumbent upon the individual to be forthright and responsible - this is not a game to us. Learn to do your own research so that you personally know what the laws are, not what someone else tells you - 2nd hand information is worth exactly what you pay for it.

    I will grant you that we cite/link to the laws considerably more than most forums - in fact that is a rule here. So going to go with giving you the benefit of the doubt and conclude that you are just being careful.

    Good luck with your quest - hope to see you around the forum. Enjoy.
    I meant in no way to act with ignorance, neither did I realize this was the same forum. I felt last time I did not get a clear answer and simply asked again (I must state AGAIN that I was under the assumption that this was a separate forum)
    If I thought this was a game I wouldn't even be asking. This thread can be closed.

  7. #7
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    I meant in no way to act with ignorance, neither did I realize this was the same forum. I felt last time I did not get a clear answer and simply asked again (I must state AGAIN that I was under the assumption that this was a separate forum)
    If I thought this was a game I wouldn't even be asking. This thread can be closed.
    It is not the same forum - I read a number of forums. defensivecarry.com is a totally different entity.

    Don't be insulted by what I said. This isn't a game with us, we take RKBA very seriously and hope that you will likewise. It would seem that you are on the right track.

    Glad that we have been able to point you in the right direction with the cites and links. That is where OCDO excels and I commend you for wanting the details/specifics.

    I'll leave the thread open so that perhaps some locals can chime in and maybe you'll have a chance to meet them as a result - perhaps too find a handgun that will satisfy you through those contacts. Good luck.

    Caution though, we do not allow posting wanted to buy or sell on the forum because of our agreement with the forum sponsors/advertisers.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-05-2012 at 04:07 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  8. #8
    Regular Member dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Aberdeen SD
    Posts
    10
    I am also in the NE south Dakota region, where are you located and what type of firearm are you interested in?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •