• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Huron County Fair strongly prohibits any carry, WTH!

JmE

I didn't find this by search as having been posted before.

The Huron County Fair in Norwalk, Ohio has clearly prohibited all carry at the fair AND claims that they will prosecute.

http://www.huroncountyfair.com/contact.html
NO WEAPONS

Unless otherwise authorized by law, pursuant to Ohio Revised Code, no person shall knowingly possess, have under person's control, convey or attempt to convey a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance onto these premise (ORC 2922.1212). A valid license to carry a concealed handgun does not authorize the licensee to carry a weapon onto these premises

VIOLATORS WILL BE PROSECUTED

Posted by order of the Board of Huron County Commissioners

Is there a reason such as the grounds being owned by a private entity or something? If so, it's curious that the prohibition has been posted by the Huron County Commissioners. Has this one been missed, did I miss it on a search here, or are they somehow lawful?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
This restriction looks fishy if promulgated by the county government.

Can someone provide the link to the Ohio preemption statute(s)?

I recall the Ohio localities may ban conceal carry in buildings but not land - so concealed and open carry should be good to go on open land like fair grounds.

Hareuhal

This restriction looks fishy if promulgated by the county government.

Can someone provide the link to the Ohio preemption statute(s)?

I recall the Ohio localities may ban conceal carry in buildings but not land - so concealed and open carry should be good to go on open land like fair grounds.

State law preempts all local laws.

Unless the fairgrounds are private property, sounds illegal to me.

JmE

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/gp9.68
9.68 Right to bear arms - challenge to law.

(A) The individual right to keep and bear arms, being a fundamental individual right that predates the United States Constitution and Ohio Constitution, and being a constitutionally protected right in every part of Ohio, the general assembly finds the need to provide uniform laws throughout the state regulating the ownership, possession, purchase, other acquisition, transport, storage, carrying, sale, or other transfer of firearms, their components, and their ammunition. Except as specifically provided by the United States Constitution, Ohio Constitution, state law, or federal law, a person, without further license, permission, restriction, delay, or process, may own, possess, purchase, sell, transfer, transport, store, or keep any firearm, part of a firearm, its components, and its ammunition.

(B) In addition to any other relief provided, the court shall award costs and reasonable attorney fees to any person, group, or entity that prevails in a challenge to an ordinance, rule, or regulation as being in conflict with this section.

(C) As used in this section:

(1) The possession, transporting, or carrying of firearms, their components, or their ammunition include, but are not limited to, the possession, transporting, or carrying, openly or concealed on a person’s person or concealed ready at hand, of firearms, their components, or their ammunition.

(2) “Firearm” has the same meaning as in section 2923.11 of the Revised Code.

(D) This section does not apply to either of the following:

(1) A zoning ordinance that regulates or prohibits the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms in areas zoned for residential or agricultural uses;

(2) A zoning ordinance that specifies the hours of operation or the geographic areas where the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms may occur, provided that the zoning ordinance is consistent with zoning ordinances for other retail establishments in the same geographic area and does not result in a de facto prohibition of the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms in areas zoned for commercial, retail, or industrial uses.

Effective Date: 03-14-2007
And the 15th opinion by the Ohio Attorney General in 2005 where he states that counties can not prohibit firearm carry on the open portions of the fairgrounds; only the buildings. http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Legal/Opinions/2005-Opinions?page=4

Even some buildings would be okay for OC even if off limits for CC. Upon further investigation, I believe OFCC or someone connected to them was doing a gun show at that fairground in 2009?!???? Hopefully, I misunderstood that.

Apparently, everything hinges on who owns the property.