• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

practice makes perfect

Belle_Starr

Last weekend my husband took out his .308 Savage Arms with a Vortex scope and a Thunder Beast silencer...sweet weapon, it is one of my favorites. I have been practicing sharpening my skills on long range shooting, we have 100 yards and 200 yard lanes on our land.

This is me before setting up:
14606742.jpg

Then settling in to hit some targets! I am very critical of myself. While lining up my shot, my husband has a spotting scope he uses, which helps me a lot.
6e26ada7.jpg

Here is my lower left grouping:
ff9b731f.jpg

Both of us were a little concerned that while I would tell him where I was aiming, I always seemed to be "off" on where the bullet would hit. After coming in for the day, the husband realized that the scope was off and not straight. I had to chuckle as I realized I didn't do too bad for shooting through a scope that was just slightly canted and must of been compensating for it...

Enjoy the photo's. I am going with him Sunday to a long range shoot and see how I do farther out. Learning a lot and it is fun. These photo's were only of my 2nd time using this rifle.

09jisaac

I never knew savage made an AR platform.

So is this at 200 yds or 100?

Also, the cross hairs do not have to be straight with the firearm, only with the earth. A lot of bench rest shooters want the crosshairs straight with the gun but it has no practical purpose (other than ergonomics). I get it close and that is plenty good enough for me.

The tilt of the crosshairs can easily be the difference between a hit and a miss.

How long is the long range shoot you're going to? I have only had my .308 out to 600 hundred yards but I trust it could shoot out to 900 with hand loads.

Belle_Starr

I never knew savage made an AR platform.

So is this at 200 yds or 100?

Also, the cross hairs do not have to be straight with the firearm, only with the earth. A lot of bench rest shooters want the crosshairs straight with the gun but it has no practical purpose (other than ergonomics). I get it close and that is plenty good enough for me.

The tilt of the crosshairs can easily be the difference between a hit and a miss.

How long is the long range shoot you're going to? I have only had my .308 out to 600 hundred yards but I trust it could shoot out to 900 with hand loads.

I was shooting at 200 yards. It may not be a Savage, need to go look at the gun, it is in the gun safe at the moment and I am running errands. Thank you for pointing that out! Just ran downstairs to look, the lower receiver says Armalight so I was wrong.

They have all lengths from what my husband explained to me...many of them shoot up to 1000 yards and everything in between. If your interested, can get photo's of what were doing when we go out there.

And thank you PPM!!

Gil223

I was shooting at 200 yards. It may not be a Savage... Just ran downstairs to look, the lower receiver says Armalight so I was wrong.

Well, you're in luck on at least one count. Armalite was the creator of the M-16/AR series of long guns, so your lower is most likely excellent for a mass produced lower! Your grouping is very good, so the rest of your rifle is also probably of high quality. Understand however, that many AR-style rifles are what I call "composites", which (to me) means the lower receiver and the upper receiver and barrel are made by different manufacturers. My AR is a composite, with the lower made by SportswereUS (in IL), and the upper and barrel made by Bushmaster. Good luck at the LR shoot! :)Pax...

Gil223

It is the practice OF perfection that makes perfect. Settle for less in your practice and you will never achieve near-perfection. Pax...

OC for ME

If practice makes perfect the my yard should look like Augusta National, as much as I have practiced getting it to look like Augusta National.

As to firearms practice, practice makes sure I don't make a terrible mistake. Are terrible mistakes unavoidable? I don't know but I haven't had one yet. I guess my practice is giving me the results I am expecting.....to date.....there is always tomorrow though.

I'll keep practicing.