Thread: Seller Robbed During Private Sale of a Handgun

Seller Robbed During Private Sale of a Handgun

A cautionary tale.

NEWPORT NEWS -- A man selling a handgun was robbed when he met a prospective buyer in Newport News.
    Surveillance video shows two men who went to meet the seller in the parking lot of Magruder Elementary School on the night of August 27.
    Police say the 23-year-old gun owner from Va. Beach showed the men the 45-caliber handgun. That's when one of the suspects pulled a gun and took the weapon. The suspects ran through the parking lot and got away.

http://www.wvec.com/my-city/nnews/Po...168619806.html
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Seller Robbed During Private Sale of a Handgun

My top three lessons from this story when selling a gun to a stranger.

#1. A SCHOOL parking lot is a horrible place for a gun sale mainly because having it (the gun) there is illegal.

#2. Never conduct a sale at night, conduct it during the day in a very public place. Criminals are for the most part cowards, they look for an easy getaway. A busy parking lot does not afford them that opportunity.

#3. Never go alone. Ever. Take a buddy or two, preferrably armed and open carrying, goes back to the criminals being cowards thing.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

While it's illegal to have a weapon on school property, Eley noted that the meeting took place on a Sunday when school was closed, so there was no possibility of injury to students or school personnel. Police are not pursuing charges against the seller at this time, he added.
    Watching.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 09-05-2012 at 10:34 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    My top three lessons from this story when selling a gun to a stranger.

#1. A SCHOOL parking lot is a horrible place for a gun sale mainly because having it (the gun) there is illegal. <--- I don't even want to address this one. We all know this was a seriously bone-head move.

#2. Never conduct a sale at night, conduct it during the day in a very public place. Criminals are for the most part cowards, they look for an easy getaway. A busy parking lot does not afford them that opportunity. <--- This actually applies to ANY private sale. I never go to someone's home to purchase something, be it a gun, or a video card. Busy parking lot or other public place is the best way to handle it.

#3. Never go alone. Ever. Take a buddy or two, preferrably armed and open carrying, goes back to the criminals being cowards thing. <--- While I'm usually alone, I have someone on the phone with me listening in, and I'm always armed (of course).
    Of course, I bet this would not have been a legal FTF sale if the robbery hadn't taken place. What do you want to bet those 'gentlemen' had experience in such escapades?

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Yeah pretty stupid.

Although going by twos is not always an option for me. I still only do person to person sales in a busy parking lot, during the day, and I'm always OCing.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Heh

Well i think it was smart for them to meet on school grounds. After all the seller wanted to feel safe in a gun free zone /sarcasm

Does this mean the seller was otherwise unarmed?
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Does this mean the seller was otherwise unarmed?
    By the time it was over he certainly was.

<rimshot>

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    By the time it was over he certainly was.

<rimshot>

stay safe.
    I hope they catch the thieves and give them extra time for not cleaning up the gene pool when the had the chance. Some people have no sense of responsibility.

Where's Bill? Why didn't they arrest the fellow for being within a thousand feet of a school I thought they got you for just driving by. (more sarcasm)

I can't believe he reported it. It's like a drug dealer reporting someone stole his dope or a hooker reporting she was raped when the client didn't pay.

But then maybe they all had CHP's which would at least be excusable
    Last edited by peter nap; 09-06-2012 at 09:37 AM.

How much was he asking for the gat?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Was it Magruder Elementary School (which is in York County with a Williamsburg address), or was it at Magruder Primary School (which is in Newport News)? If the former, then that was my last elementary school, back in the day.

Based on the byline, I would guess that it's actually Magruder Primary School.
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."
    Self defense isn't just a good idea, it's a commandment.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Where's Bill? Why didn't they arrest the fellow for being within a thousand feet of a school I thought they got you for just driving by. (more sarcasm)
    These boys are just lucky! This may well be an Eric Holder sting operation - you know like Fast and Furious - only this time, it's Slow and Stupid. I also suspect that Eric and his boys are busy with the big meeting going on in NC and that the local Possum Cops won't cooperate because they are mad about public service unions being on the outs even with the Dems.

Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    These boys are just lucky! This may well be an Eric Holder sting operation - you know like Fast and Furious - only this time, it's Slow and Stupid. I also suspect that Eric and his boys are busy with the big meeting going on in NC and that the local Possum Cops won't cooperate because they are mad about public service unions being on the outs even with the Dems.
    Why of course...that makes perfect sense

Last edited by peter nap; 09-06-2012 at 12:56 PM.

This guy is going to feel like an even bigger moron when they catch the alleged perps and discover that the "weapon" they used was an airsoft with some sharpie residue around the barrel. This is one time where feeling stupid isn't quite punishment enough.

[QUOTE=peter nap;1821558]Why of course...that makes perfect sense

Watch out for those Possum Cops Peter - they are hot about their union pensions being under fire...

Last edited by BillB; 09-06-2012 at 01:26 PM.

[QUOTE=BillB;1821582]
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Why of course...that makes perfect sense

Watch out for those Possum Cops Peter - they are hot about their union pensions being under fire...

Wouldn't you be upset Bill?
    They spend their whole life acting snotty and doing nothing, just like everyone on the Federal Payroll, then are treated like normal people.

Yep always a good idea to be armed in an arms sale. Additionally make it in a Walmart parking lot, gas station or in front of an ATM(think cameras). Or set a camera in your vehicle to record the encounter. You have to think proactively.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Quote Originally Posted by Motofixxer View Post
    Yep always a good idea to be armed in an arms sale. Additionally make it in a Walmart parking lot, gas station or in front of an ATM(think cameras). Or set a camera in your vehicle to record the encounter. You have to think proactively.
    Ha, yes, Walmart has tons of cameras. It might also be a good idea to tell the other folks that is why you are meeting there. Such morons may not even realize it on their own. (Concealed (or unknown) security cameras are no more of a deterrent than concealed handguns!)

TFred

Sword of Damocles

Hmmmmm....

"... at this time."

Not very reassuring.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Hmmmmm....

"... at this time."

Not very reassuring.
    Like Bill said, as soon as they get back from suppressing free speech in N.C.

I make a alot of private sales/purchases from various forums (mostly vaguntrader). Ive never had a problem in countless deals but i am selective.

These are my rules (somehave already been mentioned); just the safety ones

Negotiation;
    1. Be very wary of noobs/fngs; if they have recent join date/low post count be wary!
    2. Negotiate (pricing meetpace and time) on forum but get a phone number and finalize/confirm by phone
    When on the phone profile the buyer, generally if you talk to them a bit you can figure out if they are remotely knowledgeable and friendly (good), or seem in a rush, uncomfortable, unknolwdgeable about gun and not concerned about details.

Good buyer questions from the buyer are;
    How many rounds though the gun?
    What condition is it in?
    Are you the origional owner?
    Accuracy/reliability

If they seem to have no idea what they are talking about and arent concerned with the above (as any regular buyer/collector would be) is a bad sign-- be wary!

Meeting. As above use common sense
    1. Obviously public place in daylight with people about
    2. I prefer not to meet at the buyers requested location even if it meets most requirements. They want tacobell, oh i dont know where that is how about mcdonalds? I bet the guys in the origional post picked that location.
    3. I sit in the car as they pull up and get a look at the guy again; did he bring 3 friends? Etc any alarms and leave

I have done alot of sales/buys and during the negotiating/profiling step have disqualified several buyers or told a seller no longer interested. Only had 1 instance of leaving a meet without selling and that was a guy that showed up with 2 friends in a rustbucket that was worth less than the gun he was going to buy? Probably would have been fine but i decided to drive off
    Last edited by conhntr; 09-09-2012 at 10:12 PM.