• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

COSTCO no firearm policy.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I just think the odd part is how one store enforces it (Gig Harbor) and the Spokane store could care less if I have it, I've been in the Spokane stores countless time and had ZERO issues but less than 5 min in the Gig Harbor store I'm creating "panic" I hate the west side of the state.

seems like other non-membership businesses WOULD need to allow carry

ghosthunter

Everybody says vote with your wallet, well, my wallet is usually more powerful than my convictions... Costco provides me a source for discounted product, so I carry concealed. 99% of Malls I visit also prohibit carry, they still get my business since they provide a venue and activities that I cannot find elsewhere.

So, my wallet rules, and I cover to go into those establishments. I am not giving up my right as I still carry.

The day we fight and win, by law, to carry in Costco and malls, is the day we all lose our own rights to set rules on our own private property.

Well said

40S&W

If I am carrying it is most likely CC, but it is in a FBI cant holster on my hip so it is hardly noticeable if seen at all. I would suggest you carry that way if you enter premises that are private and have there own rules. After all if somebody bent on violence was to come into your space you would be able to protect yourself and others. Lord pray that that never happens but if it does I am sure everybody around the situation including the employees would be grateful you were there. Just think if just one person had been armed in that theater in Colorado...

Difdi

Costco does not beleive it's necessary for me to carry a weapon in their store, therefore I do not beleive it's necessary for me to support that policy by spending money there.

So if someone parks in the Costco parking lot, obeys the membership rule and leaves the gun in the car, and gets mugged between the car and the door, is Costco liable?

If the only reason you are unable to defend yourself is a membership rule, it stands to reason that at least some liability would attach to the club.

DCKilla

My purchases at Costco pales in comparison to the thousands of other shoppers it welcomes every day. You're not going to put a dent in that. Granted, Costco is not very vocal about their policies on firearms. Which would not make firearms owners get up in arms(no pun intended).

Last edited:

amlevin

Did anyone note the "Do Not Post" note on the internal memo?

Their no guns policy is not stated in the published membership agreement, the stores are not posted, and they don't want the memo posted. Seems to be a policy held very secret unless someone sees a gun.

Apparently they don't want to run off any other customers that even though they aren't carrying, support the right to carry.

Sure glad my world doesn't revolve around Costco.

John Hardin

So if someone parks in the Costco parking lot, obeys the membership rule and leaves the gun in the car, and gets mugged between the car and the door, is Costco liable?

If the only reason you are unable to defend yourself is a membership rule, it stands to reason that at least some liability would attach to the club.

This is why we should have a GFZ liability law, to make that explicit.

massivedesign

But why support an entity that does not support you when there is alternative competition that does? That is, Sam's Club. Same jumbo-sized crap, competitive prices, and owned by Wally World so they defer to state law on such matters.

Malls are one thing (no real alternative), but with warehouse stores ​you do have a choice.

I live in Olympia, there is no Sam's club near me to act as a viable alternative to Costco. If/when there is one, then most likely I will entertain a change of membership.

Freedom1Man

Did anyone note the "Do Not Post" note on the internal memo?

Their no guns policy is not stated in the published membership agreement, the stores are not posted, and they don't want the memo posted. Seems to be a policy held very secret unless someone sees a gun.

Apparently they don't want to run off any other customers that even though they aren't carrying, support the right to carry.

Sure glad my world doesn't revolve around Costco.

Maybe print some out and pass them around to all the parked cars in a Costco parking lot one day?

With a little note that says, "We should support Costco's secret anti-gun stance, courtesy of Cease Fire Washington"
Something like that.

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I live in Olympia, there is no Sam's club near me to act as a viable alternative to Costco. If/when there is one, then most likely I will entertain a change of membership.

The only Sams club in the Tacoma/Seattle/Olympia area is in Auburn near the Super Mall. from my house it's a 30 mile drive. Costco is just 4.7 miles. I know they are anti-gun but this is where concealed means concealed.
I have spent enough time in my costco that some of the managers know me on sight now, usually when I get to the check out counter my jacket or cover up comes off. the first few times that happened I had 2 flat carts full ($1200+ of goods). I told them if I went to my car to put my firearm away I was not coming back. They let me finish my transaction and leave with no one hovering over me till I was done.

tombrewster421

The only Sams club in the Tacoma/Seattle/Olympia area is in Auburn near the Super Mall. from my house it's a 30 mile drive. Costco is just 4.7 miles. I know they are anti-gun but this is where concealed means concealed.
I have spent enough time in my costco that some of the managers know me on sight now, usually when I get to the check out counter my jacket or cover up comes off. the first few times that happened I had 2 flat carts full ($1200+ of goods). I told them if I went to my car to put my firearm away I was not coming back. They let me finish my transaction and leave with no one hovering over me till I was done.

+1 sam's is 50 or more miles from my house. It's just ridiculous to think I would drive that far to save what I'd be spending in gas to get there.

Lovenox

This is so beat to death.

Yup. When are we going to learn that private property means just that??? I don't generally shop at COSTCO for just that reason because I don't feel that I need to cover up and because I don't need a 10pk of 2 quart mayo. Come on people!

fire suppressor

It is frustrating but it is private property they do have a legal right to deny firearms into their business. I can't remember where but I did read no firearms when I was joining think of it more like you are buying into a special club and you have to follow the club rules. I know what the rules are and still choose to break them. Personally I just CC when I go to Costco, I'm in and out as quick as possible it makes a minimal impact on me to cover up for 20 minutes

Lovenox

It is frustrating but it is private property they do have a legal right to deny firearms into their business. I can't remember where but I did read no firearms when I was joining think of it more like you are buying into a special club and you have to follow the club rules. I know what the rules are and still choose to break them. Personally I just CC when I go to Costco, I'm in and out as quick as possible it makes a minimal impact on me to cover up for 20 minutes

That's a personal choice you have to make. I'd rather not keep my rights under wraps so-to-speak. But here is a question: So you know that it is policy that there are no firearms and you still decide to carry and have to draw down or something happens are you liable? I know, I know...better to be tried by twelve than carried by six....

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
That's a personal choice you have to make. I'd rather not keep my rights under wraps so-to-speak. But here is a question: So you know that it is policy that there are no firearms and you still decide to carry and have to draw down or something happens are you liable? I know, I know...better to be tried by twelve than carried by six....

I do not have a straight forward answer for your question on liability if you carry into a business knowing the object to it?

I do feel one would not face criminal charges as there are no prohibitions on a person carrying on private property or in a business.

Signage in Washington State only applies to restricted areas by law RCW 9.41.300

When it comes to a civil suit???

papa bear

please do not support a anti gun business. Wal-mart will match any price they will give you

one of the guys i know in VA ran into this problem. he was told not to carry in a costco. so he said OK he wanted a complete refund, and made them refund everything he had bought there including his membership fee. he said he had just bought a entertainment system and a very expensive computer, among other things. he then took his money and bought everything at SAM's club

Lovenox

I do not have a straight forward answer for your question on liability if you carry into a business knowing the object to it?

I do feel one would not face criminal charges as there are no prohibitions on a person carrying on private property or in a business.

Signage in Washington State only applies to restricted areas by law RCW 9.41.300

Good point, BD. It probably would be a civil suit route.

amlevin

The worst that could happen is that they will "trespass" you. Only "liability" that would arise then is if you refuse to leave and/or raise a ruckus. At that point state laws re: trespass (remaining where you now have no legal right to be), and disorderly conduct arising from any confrontation, would kick in.

For there to be any financial liability the plaintiff would have to show "damages" in order to prevail. Wouldn't be worth it to them when all they need to do is follow the trespass laws and bar the person from the premises.