Thread: M&p 45 apc

M&p 45 apc

I am thinking about M&P 45 APC need feedback on it please. Some one recommended that.

I have one, great shooter, very accurate, fun to shoot, feeds anything, probably have 2k+ through it.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Banned
    Several PDs have switched to this gun around me

reliable gun.

Our State Patrol switched to them a while ago. No complaints yet.

Re: M&p 45 apc

No complaints with mine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Over 5k through it. Not a single issue. Great gun for the money and lots of options.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

I have fired the M&P45 before and even though I already own the 9mm version I was very impressed. The recoil was so smooth and so little that I forgot it was a .45 and thought I was firing 9mm+p instead.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    The M4...serving scum the laws of terminal ballistics at 2,900FPS

The M&P is well built. There are a few things that need changed for it to truly fall within Military & Police. The first is the loaded chamber indicator that cannot be seen in the dark without some sort of light. The next is that dodgy trigger. Sure, you could send it in to S&W to have their "match" trigger work done, but why spend the money when a local smith can do better work or you can buy the parts and have them installed to get a proper trigger.

I've heard lately some complaints about the sights. Never had a problem with any of the M&P's I've owned and fired.

I personally prefer the version without the manual flip safety. Now they just need to build the Shield in a 45!

The M & P 45 APC holds the most is of 10+1 without the extended mag. I see.

Better get one now cause when the Hi Cap mag ban is re-enacted and all those wonder nines made less effective the 45 will be real hard to find.
    I liked the full size so much the little kid (compact) came home with me also. When I am capable they will yield 1 hole groupings. SWC, FMJ, JHP and empty cases all feed without fail.
    Well over 5000 rounds and going strong.
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.

Quote Originally Posted by onestar 50 View Post
    I am thinking about M&P 45 APC need feedback on it please. Some one recommended that.
    I saw a M&P at my local gun shop today on display that blew up, only thing left intact was the slide.. apparently they have had problems where the mag drops a little when you shoot it then a round goes off and BOOM! gun blows up

Quote Originally Posted by Will.40 View Post
    I saw a M&P at my local gun shop today on display that blew up, only thing left intact was the slide.. apparently they have had problems where the mag drops a little when you shoot it then a round goes off and BOOM! gun blows up
    The mag dropping would have NOTHING to do with a explosion. A misfeed, maybe. Double feed, maybe. Catastrophic failure? No. You would have to have a breach, which would have to mean excess pressure, or unsealed chamber

Bet you $10 they were using reloads, or an improper shooting grip.

Reloads were the cause of most (if not all) of the Kabooms(!) on Glocks, using the wrong type of powder/too much of it.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    The mag dropping would have NOTHING to do with a explosion. A misfeed, maybe. Double feed, maybe. Catastrophic failure? No. You would have to have a breach, which would have to mean excess pressure, or unsealed chamber

Reloads were the cause of most (if not all) of the Kabooms(!) on Glocks, using the wrong type of powder/too much of it.
    I'd go with reloads, I don't think that a improper grip would cause an out of battery detonation, unless it was purposeful.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

The round went off outside of the chamber.. but you say that wouldn't cause the gun to come apart???

The round went off outside of the chamber.. but you say that wouldn't cause the gun to come apart???
    I'm new to this whole 'gun' thing...

Please explain how you get an out of battery discharge because a magazine drops?

K THX BYE.

(In case you couldn't tell, that was sarcasm there)
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

I don't buy reload ammo or do I know how to reload my own .

I'm new to this whole 'gun' thing...

Please explain how you get an out of battery discharge because a magazine drops?

K THX BYE.

(In case you couldn't tell, that was sarcasm there)
    My gunsmith explained it to me, I am not a gunsmith so I do not know the full details. the mag dropped just enough, and the round went off, since you are new to the 'whole gun thing' let me say anything can happen. whether your fault, the guns fault etc. This guy wanted to know about this gun so I told him what I saw, No one asked for your smart alec remark. The only person you are making look bad here is yourself.

Will, unless you have an M&P with the optional mag safety, you can fire a M&P with the mag removed and it still won't go kB (KaBoom!) Someone did blow a M&P 40 up at a local gun range here in town a few weeks ago, but it was an ammo problem......the 9mm ammo he put in it.

I do know that some M&P's have had the mag retention issue you've mentioned, but every post on a board I've seen S&W will send you the parts to fix it or have you send it in if you wish. I have not seen a report of a kB due to it.

I'm not sure how far out of battery a M&P will fire, if it will at all........ I do know that some brand G sidearms will fire way out of battery, at least from some of the reports I have on the internet (and you can't put anything on the internet that isn't true! )

I haven't had the gritty trigger problem with my M&P .40 that others have reported, BUT, I cleaned the firearm and re-lubricated it per the manual BEFORE a round went through it. Or maybe I wouldn't know a gritty trigger if I had my finger on it. Lord knows I wouldn't know the 10 ring if I saw it!

I kind of wonder if the round before wasn't a squib...............

Activist Member
    Yesterday I purchased a new Generation 4 Glock 21. This gun is astonishingly accurate, controllable, and fits the hand like a glove with the new short frame. The new Gen4 texturing is excellent, and the gun stays put whether you are firing with wet or dry hands. If you are looking for a new full-size .45 Auto, I would highly recommend the Gen4 21. I own an M&P in 9mm and .40S&W, and I like the new Glocks much more than the full-size M&P. If you was to purchase the Glock, you can also carry 3 more rounds in the gun, and if you carry 2 spare reloads, that is 9 extra rounds, which could save your life.

As for the texturing on the new Gen4, it does not rub the skin like the RTF2 texturing does when carrying concealed against bare skin. I had to take a Dremel to the left side of the RTF2 Glock I have, but I do not have to do the same with the Gen4.

I also have a Glock 30, but I believe when I decide to carry a Glock chambered in .45 Auto from now on, it will be the full-size.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

My gunsmith explained it to me, I am not a gunsmith so I do not know the full details. the mag dropped just enough, and the round went off, since you are new to the 'whole gun thing' let me say anything can happen. whether your fault, the guns fault etc. This guy wanted to know about this gun so I told him what I saw, No one asked for your smart alec remark. The only person you are making look bad here is yourself.
    You don't need to be a gunsmith. You need to know and understand how your firearm operates. This includes potential malfunctions, design elements, firing mechanisms, etc etc.

You can do this on your own weapon.

Lock the slide back.

Slowly insert your magazine LOADED WITH SNAP CAPS (or spent brass), and observe WHERE any protrusions of the slide might impact the primer.

You'll notice that the magazine covers most of the primer, the feed lips almost completely covers the brass on the side, and wrap around to the rear... (In the M&P)

In addition, the trigger disconnects if the barrel is pushed even a hair back (already done it, just did it again to confirm it)...

I don't give a (#%& what you think about me.

Malfunctions happen, but I'm calling BS on it happening like that.

Lasjayhawk
    I talked with the gunsmith today and he said it was not a reload and that he has been trying to contact S&W for days but with no luck. He also said he has seen the same thing on a M&P before but this is the first case I have heard of. I want to thank you sir for your reply, you handled it like a Gentleman

TechnoWeenie,
    I did not ask you to believe what I said, I merely stated what I saw and had explained to me by someone with more experience and expertise than myself. Think what you want to that is what is great about the U.S. But lets not turn this thread into a demeaning, pointless argument.

But lets not turn this thread into a demeaning, pointless argument.
    Yes, let's think about HOW such a malfunction would occur.

We've both said out of battery discharge, or reload (excess pressure).

Taking the owner at his word that it wasn't a reload, let's explore the gunsmiths 'expert opinion'.

So, we've determined that the magazine protects the bullets, and at no point is there an obstruction or protrusion that can puncture the primer...... So, how does one round go off outside the chamber because 'the magazine dropped a little bit'?

FWIW: I checked my M&P 40. The trigger goes hot about 0.017 before the barrel is completely in battery. Don't know if that is enough of a gap to make a kB or not. There IS a pre-fire inspection that has you look to verify that the firing pin is not protruding from the breech face, so there may be a malfunction that would leave the firing pin sticking out. I would guess that could cause a kB, but wouldn't require a trigger pull.

Not wanting to put words in TechnoWeenies mouth, but I think what he, and I, are saying is the mag drop wouldn't cause a kB, that that is a secondary problem and not what caused the fail.

We've kinda hijacked this thread, so sorry to the OP. Maybe a malfunctions topic would be a good thing to have??