• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

M&p 45 apc

TechnoWeenie

My gunsmith explained it to me, I am not a gunsmith so I do not know the full details. the mag dropped just enough, and the round went off, since you are new to the 'whole gun thing' let me say anything can happen. whether your fault, the guns fault etc. This guy wanted to know about this gun so I told him what I saw, No one asked for your smart alec remark. The only person you are making look bad here is yourself.

You don't need to be a gunsmith. You need to know and understand how your firearm operates. This includes potential malfunctions, design elements, firing mechanisms, etc etc.

You can do this on your own weapon.

Lock the slide back.

Slowly insert your magazine LOADED WITH SNAP CAPS (or spent brass), and observe WHERE any protrusions of the slide might impact the primer.

You'll notice that the magazine covers most of the primer, the feed lips almost completely covers the brass on the side, and wrap around to the rear... (In the M&P)

In addition, the trigger disconnects if the barrel is pushed even a hair back (already done it, just did it again to confirm it)...

I don't give a (#%& what you think about me.

Malfunctions happen, but I'm calling BS on it happening like that.

Will.40

Lasjayhawk
I talked with the gunsmith today and he said it was not a reload and that he has been trying to contact S&W for days but with no luck. He also said he has seen the same thing on a M&P before but this is the first case I have heard of. I want to thank you sir for your reply, you handled it like a Gentleman :cool:

TechnoWeenie,
I did not ask you to believe what I said, I merely stated what I saw and had explained to me by someone with more experience and expertise than myself. Think what you want to that is what is great about the U.S. But lets not turn this thread into a demeaning, pointless argument.

TechnoWeenie

But lets not turn this thread into a demeaning, pointless argument.

Yes, let's think about HOW such a malfunction would occur.

We've both said out of battery discharge, or reload (excess pressure).

Taking the owner at his word that it wasn't a reload, let's explore the gunsmiths 'expert opinion'.

So, we've determined that the magazine protects the bullets, and at no point is there an obstruction or protrusion that can puncture the primer...... So, how does one round go off outside the chamber because 'the magazine dropped a little bit'?

Lasjayhawk

FWIW: I checked my M&P 40. The trigger goes hot about 0.017 before the barrel is completely in battery. Don't know if that is enough of a gap to make a kB or not. There IS a pre-fire inspection that has you look to verify that the firing pin is not protruding from the breech face, so there may be a malfunction that would leave the firing pin sticking out. I would guess that could cause a kB, but wouldn't require a trigger pull.

Not wanting to put words in TechnoWeenies mouth, but I think what he, and I, are saying is the mag drop wouldn't cause a kB, that that is a secondary problem and not what caused the fail.

We've kinda hijacked this thread, so sorry to the OP. Maybe a malfunctions topic would be a good thing to have??