Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CHP Officer Shot

CHP Officer Shot

http://www.insidebayarea.com/news/ci...ce=most_viewed
    A cached look at the software engineer's Spartan personal website offered little information, other than a hint at political leanings: "I also contribute significant time to the Ron Paul campaign ... and the liberty movement."
    "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

Ron Paul Supporter Shoots CHP Officer Dead

or

Computer Nerd Shhots CHP Officer Dead

or

Organic Farmer Shoots CHP Officer Dead

or

Former Amazon Employee Shoots CHP Officer Dead

All of those are just as accurate as your singling out of his politics, and could be the motivating factor in the shooting as easily as his political leanings.

The thing is, we all "know" that traffic stops are the most dangerous activity that cops engage in. We do not know what, if any, tactical "errors" the CHP might have committed, but my guess is that he remained in front of the driver instead of moving to be behind the driver.

stay safe.

"He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    [/SIZE]
    or

Computer Nerd Shhots CHP Officer Dead

or

Organic Farmer Shoots CHP Officer Dead

or

Former Amazon Employee Shoots CHP Officer Dead

All of those are just as accurate as your singling out of his politics, and could be the motivating factor in the shooting as easily as his political leanings.

The thing is, we all "know" that traffic stops are the most dangerous activity that cops engage in. We do not know what, if any, tactical "errors" the CHP might have committed, but my guess is that he remained in front of the driver instead of moving to be behind the driver.

stay safe.

Any examples of a computer nerd shooting a cop? Any examples of a organic farmer, other than the "Mary Jane organic farmer," shooting a cop? You got me on the former Amazon employee, just too many former Amazon employees out there I suspect.

As to the RP supporter angle......I ain't touching that one with a 10' pole.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I'm with skidmark on this, during that entire article all you got was "Ron Paul supporter"?

Founder's Club Member
    The media focus on the RP angle is to obviously a lame attempt to smear Dr. Paul and his supporters.

Are we prepared to smear agnostics because several mass-shooters were agnostic?

Separately, do we know whether the cop tried something really inappropriate like planting evidence, assaulting the driver, or attempting a false arrest? Such would suddenly turn the shooting into possibly justified.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

This could backfire big time.

What do you suppose would happen if reporting the political party of every street thug became SOP?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

The media always tries to make a crime more than it is, unless it is a Obama supporter. They tried to pin Loughner on the tea party, and then became quiet when his alliance turned out to be far left. While I think RP has some real nut cases following him, I do not think it reflects personally on RP.

I'm not sure if this is going to be controversial, so if it is I apologize. As I read the story I couldn't get over one thing. I remember while I was taking my CCW class the instructor said something like this. He said if a policeman discovers your are carrying, even legally, and he asks you to hand him your gun so he can feel safe don't. He said, tell the officer that he's welcome to remove the gun on his own, but don't physically hand it to him. Why? Well, what happens if while you are trying to hand him the gun it accidentally goes off and now you've shot a police officer. Then his partner runs up, sees you holding a gun and shoots you thinking you just killed a cop?

I'm not saying that's what happened here. But I can't shake it as a possibility. And the biggest kicker the instructor said was, if you're dead then it's all on the policeman's word as to what happened. You have no way to defend yourself. I wonder if something like that happened and maybe it was a ND? Probably not, but we'll also probably never know.

Sorry people was bored this morning at work. I was being provacative. I personally cant stand RP, but i DO NOT blame him for this shooting. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus42 View Post
    Sorry people was bored this morning at work. I was being provacative. I personally cant stand RP, but i DO NOT blame him for this shooting. Carry on.
    This is common in media. The "it was just two unrelated facts in the same story" angle and it shouldn't be done. Plenty of "Obama supporters" are behind bars but that is never reported in a similar fashion as this.

@mobiushky, if you are ever in Kentucky and an officer request your firearm for his/her safety, reply back with a polite "No." If you are legally carrying and the officer has no suspicion that you have committed a crime (with your firearm) or about to commit a crime then he/she has no authority to take it from you.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    This is common in media. The "it was just two unrelated facts in the same story" angle and it shouldn't be done. Plenty of "Obama supporters" are behind bars but that is never reported in a similar fashion as this.

@mobiushky, if you are ever in Kentucky and an officer request your firearm for his/her safety, reply back with a polite "No." If you are legally carrying and the officer has no suspicion that you have committed a crime (with your firearm) or about to commit a crime then he/she has no authority to take it from you.
    In CO, we have no requirement to inform. However, and this is just stupid, when you get a CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) you are listed in the DMV as a "Person of interest." No explanation why. So it's generally a smart idea to let the officer know that you have a permit. Otherwise, he comes back gun drawn at the ready. Most CHP holders will just hand the permit to the officer along with DL, reg, and Ins. Generally that puts them at ease right off the bat. (BTW, this is all assuming the stop was a legal stop for traffic violation) I have talked to 2 people who said the officer didn't ask for the gun after he saw the permit. Just let the driver know that they should keep their hands away from it for safety. But I do know one guy who was asked to hand the gun to the officer (which is legal if an officer asks for safety and you have a CHP and you are stopped for committing an traffic violation). But he refused and the cop was confused. When he explained he did want the cop shooting him on accident the cop laughed. They can't confiscate your gun. All they can do is "remove it from the situation temporarily" if you will. They can unload it and set it aside, but when the stop is over they have to give it back. I know one guy who made the cop reload it for him!

Quote Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
    But I do know one guy who was asked to hand the gun to the officer (which is legal if an officer asks for safety and you have a CHP and you are stopped for committing an traffic violation). But he refused and the cop was confused. When he explained he did want the cop shooting him on accident the cop laughed. They can't confiscate your gun. All they can do is "remove it from the situation temporarily" if you will. They can unload it and set it aside, but when the stop is over they have to give it back. I know one guy who made the cop reload it for him!
    All of this is just SOOOO stupid. The safest place for any gun is in the holster where it belongs. Safer for everyone involved. Very dangerous to draw it and fiddle with it beside the road. Handing a loaded gun to another person for any reason is a gross violation of safe gun handling and protocol, no matter who the other person might be.

There is no rational reason for any LE to demand that a loaded gun be handed to them, and no rational reason to disarm someone who is not committing a crime. But then, so many stupid things are called "crimes" these days.

I won't drive in Colorado anymore for a lot of similar reasons...
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaLiberty View Post
    All of this is just SOOOO stupid. The safest place for any gun is in the holster where it belongs. Safer for everyone involved. Very dangerous to draw it and fiddle with it beside the road. Handing a loaded gun to another person for any reason is a gross violation of safe gun handling and protocol, no matter who the other person might be.

There is no rational reason for any LE to demand that a loaded gun be handed to them, and no rational reason to disarm someone who is not committing a crime. But then, so many stupid things are called "crimes" these days.

I won't drive in Colorado anymore for a lot of similar reasons...
    Not to nitpick, but you don't have a CO CHP, so no cop would ever ask for it from you. CO is very lax about carrying in your car as the State Const defines your car as an extension of your house. So you can OC, CC, whatever in your car without any permit at all. The only reason I brought it up is because if you get pulled over for speeding, when he checks your DL on the computer it's going to flag you as a "person of interest" if you hold a Colorado CHP. CO is a no duty to inform state. So if you were stopped in CO and you have a firearm, just don't say anything. No worries.

Investigators found a handgun, two loaded gun clips and a knife in the Jeep, Lee said.

So where is the M1?

Quote Originally Posted by Lasjayhawk View Post
    Investigators found a handgun, two loaded gun clips and a knife in the Jeep, Lee said.

So where is the M1?
    Why would you assume M-1? I mean he could be armed with an Enfield #4......
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

I wonder if the shooter was a milk drinker....better watch out for those guys
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Why would you assume M-1? I mean he could be armed with an Enfield #4......
    Because no self respecting American would carry an Enfield into battle

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
    In CO, we have no requirement to inform. However, and this is just stupid, when you get a CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) you are listed in the DMV as a "Person of interest." No explanation why. So it's generally a smart idea to let the officer know that you have a permit. Otherwise, he comes back gun drawn at the ready. Most CHP holders will just hand the permit to the officer along with DL, reg, and Ins. Generally that puts them at ease right off the bat. (BTW, this is all assuming the stop was a legal stop for traffic violation) I have talked to 2 people who said the officer didn't ask for the gun after he saw the permit. Just let the driver know that they should keep their hands away from it for safety. But I do know one guy who was asked to hand the gun to the officer (which is legal if an officer asks for safety and you have a CHP and you are stopped for committing an traffic violation). But he refused and the cop was confused. When he explained he did want the cop shooting him on accident the cop laughed. They can't confiscate your gun. All they can do is "remove it from the situation temporarily" if you will. They can unload it and set it aside, but when the stop is over they have to give it back. I know one guy who made the cop reload it for him!
    It is the same in Kentucky. You are placed in the database and everytime an officer runs your license your cdwl information will show up. If you are not behind the wheel of a vehicle though, an officer should not have access to your DL unless you VOLUNTARILY give it to him. Even in KY, if an officer does not have RAS for a terry stop, then he has NO legal right to disarm you or temporarily seize your weapon; we have a Kentucky Revised Statute that prohibits leo's from disarming law abiding citizens.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Activist Member
    Why can't you stand Dr. Paul? Do you hate liberty? Do you love big, unconstitutional government? Do you love government intrusion into our everyday lives? Do you believe the government has a right to regulate everything under the sun?

I don't see how anyone that enjoys their liberty could hate Ron Paul, unless they are asleep and unaware of the truth, or have been brainwashed by the MSM. Do some research man. Do you like Obama or Romney? These two are the exact same, and they are hand picked to continue the destruction of our once great country!

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

So where is the M1?
    AR-15 magazines can be fed from clips as well, just not while in the rifle.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Activist Member

So where is the M1?
    Don't you just love how the MSM uses the incorrect terminology! I get so tired of hearing the news talk about clips when they are speaking of magazines, or when they are speaking about sporting rifles but call them assault rifles! If they want to get technical, every rifle, down to single shot muzzle-loaders, should be called an "assault" rifle. All of these rifles can be USED to assault people, but the rifle can't do it itself, so why do we call them assault rifles? I have never once witnessed a rifle commit an action all by itself, which is exactly what assault is, an action!

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    ...which is exactly what assault is, an action!
    Well, technically, assault is the intimidation created by a threat. Battery is the physical action.

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Why can't you stand Dr. Paul? Do you hate liberty? Do you love big, unconstitutional government? Do you love government intrusion into our everyday lives? Do you believe the government has a right to regulate everything under the sun?

I don't see how anyone that enjoys their liberty could hate Ron Paul, unless they are asleep and unaware of the truth, or have been brainwashed by the MSM. Do some research man. Do you like Obama or Romney? These two are the exact same, and they are hand picked to continue the destruction of our once great country!
    He's a scam artist, that's why. he rolls in so much in donations and yet I've never seen or heard any commercials for mr. paul.

He also lies while campaigning. He claims he's "never voted for earmarks" when in fact he inserts earmarks on bills that he knows will pass and then votes against the bill. are multimillion dollar handouts to the texas shrimp industry constitutional KY? he also claims he had overwhelming support in the military, based on surveys his own campaign administrered

How about taking campaign donations in order to pay for flights he'd already recieved reimbursement for from the House. I don't think so, this man is a corrupt politician. it's always the same it's just a shame and that's all.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    He's a scam artist, that's why. he rolls in so much in donations and yet I've never seen or heard any commercials for mr. paul.

He also lies while campaigning. He claims he's "never voted for earmarks" when in fact he inserts earmarks on bills that he knows will pass and then votes against the bill. are multimillion dollar handouts to the texas shrimp industry constitutional KY? he also claims he had overwhelming support in the military, based on surveys his own campaign administrered

How about taking campaign donations in order to pay for flights he'd already recieved reimbursement for from the House. I don't think so, this man is a corrupt politician. it's always the same it's just a shame and that's all.
    +1 Paul is a whining antisemite. Didn't win any contests this year, sorry the voters have spoken, Paulbots are just butthurt because the majority of people just can't see how much smarter they are.

Ron Paul Supporter Shoots CHP Officer Dead

+1 Paul is a whining antisemite. Didn't win any contests this year, sorry the voters have spoken, Paulbots are just butthurt because the majority of people just can't see how much smarter they are.
    Do you have some evidence for your anti-Semite claim?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast