• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP Officer Shot

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Ron Paul Supporter Shoots CHP Officer Dead

or

Computer Nerd Shhots CHP Officer Dead

or

Organic Farmer Shoots CHP Officer Dead

or

Former Amazon Employee Shoots CHP Officer Dead

All of those are just as accurate as your singling out of his politics, and could be the motivating factor in the shooting as easily as his political leanings.

The thing is, we all "know" that traffic stops are the most dangerous activity that cops engage in. We do not know what, if any, tactical "errors" the CHP might have committed, but my guess is that he remained in front of the driver instead of moving to be behind the driver.

stay safe.

OC for ME

[/SIZE]
or

Computer Nerd Shhots CHP Officer Dead

or

Organic Farmer Shoots CHP Officer Dead

or

Former Amazon Employee Shoots CHP Officer Dead

All of those are just as accurate as your singling out of his politics, and could be the motivating factor in the shooting as easily as his political leanings.

The thing is, we all "know" that traffic stops are the most dangerous activity that cops engage in. We do not know what, if any, tactical "errors" the CHP might have committed, but my guess is that he remained in front of the driver instead of moving to be behind the driver.

stay safe.

Any examples of a computer nerd shooting a cop? Any examples of a organic farmer, other than the "Mary Jane organic farmer," shooting a cop? You got me on the former Amazon employee, just too many former Amazon employees out there I suspect.

As to the RP supporter angle......I ain't touching that one with a 10' pole.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The media focus on the RP angle is to obviously a lame attempt to smear Dr. Paul and his supporters.

Are we prepared to smear agnostics because several mass-shooters were agnostic?

Separately, do we know whether the cop tried something really inappropriate like planting evidence, assaulting the driver, or attempting a false arrest? Such would suddenly turn the shooting into possibly justified.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
This could backfire big time.

What do you suppose would happen if reporting the political party of every street thug became SOP?

WalkingWolf

The media always tries to make a crime more than it is, unless it is a Obama supporter. They tried to pin Loughner on the tea party, and then became quiet when his alliance turned out to be far left. While I think RP has some real nut cases following him, I do not think it reflects personally on RP.

mobiushky

I'm not sure if this is going to be controversial, so if it is I apologize. As I read the story I couldn't get over one thing. I remember while I was taking my CCW class the instructor said something like this. He said if a policeman discovers your are carrying, even legally, and he asks you to hand him your gun so he can feel safe don't. He said, tell the officer that he's welcome to remove the gun on his own, but don't physically hand it to him. Why? Well, what happens if while you are trying to hand him the gun it accidentally goes off and now you've shot a police officer. Then his partner runs up, sees you holding a gun and shoots you thinking you just killed a cop?

I'm not saying that's what happened here. But I can't shake it as a possibility. And the biggest kicker the instructor said was, if you're dead then it's all on the policeman's word as to what happened. You have no way to defend yourself. I wonder if something like that happened and maybe it was a ND? Probably not, but we'll also probably never know.

Tacitus42

Sorry people was bored this morning at work. I was being provacative. I personally cant stand RP, but i DO NOT blame him for this shooting. Carry on.

09jisaac

Sorry people was bored this morning at work. I was being provacative. I personally cant stand RP, but i DO NOT blame him for this shooting. Carry on.

This is common in media. The "it was just two unrelated facts in the same story" angle and it shouldn't be done. Plenty of "Obama supporters" are behind bars but that is never reported in a similar fashion as this.

@mobiushky, if you are ever in Kentucky and an officer request your firearm for his/her safety, reply back with a polite "No." If you are legally carrying and the officer has no suspicion that you have committed a crime (with your firearm) or about to commit a crime then he/she has no authority to take it from you.

mobiushky

This is common in media. The "it was just two unrelated facts in the same story" angle and it shouldn't be done. Plenty of "Obama supporters" are behind bars but that is never reported in a similar fashion as this.

@mobiushky, if you are ever in Kentucky and an officer request your firearm for his/her safety, reply back with a polite "No." If you are legally carrying and the officer has no suspicion that you have committed a crime (with your firearm) or about to commit a crime then he/she has no authority to take it from you.

In CO, we have no requirement to inform. However, and this is just stupid, when you get a CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) you are listed in the DMV as a "Person of interest." No explanation why. So it's generally a smart idea to let the officer know that you have a permit. Otherwise, he comes back gun drawn at the ready. Most CHP holders will just hand the permit to the officer along with DL, reg, and Ins. Generally that puts them at ease right off the bat. (BTW, this is all assuming the stop was a legal stop for traffic violation) I have talked to 2 people who said the officer didn't ask for the gun after he saw the permit. Just let the driver know that they should keep their hands away from it for safety. But I do know one guy who was asked to hand the gun to the officer (which is legal if an officer asks for safety and you have a CHP and you are stopped for committing an traffic violation). But he refused and the cop was confused. When he explained he did want the cop shooting him on accident the cop laughed. They can't confiscate your gun. All they can do is "remove it from the situation temporarily" if you will. They can unload it and set it aside, but when the stop is over they have to give it back. I know one guy who made the cop reload it for him!

MamaLiberty

But I do know one guy who was asked to hand the gun to the officer (which is legal if an officer asks for safety and you have a CHP and you are stopped for committing an traffic violation). But he refused and the cop was confused. When he explained he did want the cop shooting him on accident the cop laughed. They can't confiscate your gun. All they can do is "remove it from the situation temporarily" if you will. They can unload it and set it aside, but when the stop is over they have to give it back. I know one guy who made the cop reload it for him!

All of this is just SOOOO stupid. The safest place for any gun is in the holster where it belongs. Safer for everyone involved. Very dangerous to draw it and fiddle with it beside the road. Handing a loaded gun to another person for any reason is a gross violation of safe gun handling and protocol, no matter who the other person might be.

There is no rational reason for any LE to demand that a loaded gun be handed to them, and no rational reason to disarm someone who is not committing a crime. But then, so many stupid things are called "crimes" these days.

I won't drive in Colorado anymore for a lot of similar reasons...

mobiushky

All of this is just SOOOO stupid. The safest place for any gun is in the holster where it belongs. Safer for everyone involved. Very dangerous to draw it and fiddle with it beside the road. Handing a loaded gun to another person for any reason is a gross violation of safe gun handling and protocol, no matter who the other person might be.

There is no rational reason for any LE to demand that a loaded gun be handed to them, and no rational reason to disarm someone who is not committing a crime. But then, so many stupid things are called "crimes" these days.

I won't drive in Colorado anymore for a lot of similar reasons...

Not to nitpick, but you don't have a CO CHP, so no cop would ever ask for it from you. CO is very lax about carrying in your car as the State Const defines your car as an extension of your house. So you can OC, CC, whatever in your car without any permit at all. The only reason I brought it up is because if you get pulled over for speeding, when he checks your DL on the computer it's going to flag you as a "person of interest" if you hold a Colorado CHP. CO is a no duty to inform state. So if you were stopped in CO and you have a firearm, just don't say anything. No worries.

Lasjayhawk

Investigators found a handgun, two loaded gun clips and a knife in the Jeep, Lee said.

So where is the M1? :p

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I wonder if the shooter was a milk drinker....better watch out for those guys

KYGlockster

Activist Member
In CO, we have no requirement to inform. However, and this is just stupid, when you get a CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) you are listed in the DMV as a "Person of interest." No explanation why. So it's generally a smart idea to let the officer know that you have a permit. Otherwise, he comes back gun drawn at the ready. Most CHP holders will just hand the permit to the officer along with DL, reg, and Ins. Generally that puts them at ease right off the bat. (BTW, this is all assuming the stop was a legal stop for traffic violation) I have talked to 2 people who said the officer didn't ask for the gun after he saw the permit. Just let the driver know that they should keep their hands away from it for safety. But I do know one guy who was asked to hand the gun to the officer (which is legal if an officer asks for safety and you have a CHP and you are stopped for committing an traffic violation). But he refused and the cop was confused. When he explained he did want the cop shooting him on accident the cop laughed. They can't confiscate your gun. All they can do is "remove it from the situation temporarily" if you will. They can unload it and set it aside, but when the stop is over they have to give it back. I know one guy who made the cop reload it for him!

It is the same in Kentucky. You are placed in the database and everytime an officer runs your license your cdwl information will show up. If you are not behind the wheel of a vehicle though, an officer should not have access to your DL unless you VOLUNTARILY give it to him. Even in KY, if an officer does not have RAS for a terry stop, then he has NO legal right to disarm you or temporarily seize your weapon; we have a Kentucky Revised Statute that prohibits leo's from disarming law abiding citizens.

KYGlockster

Activist Member

Why can't you stand Dr. Paul? Do you hate liberty? Do you love big, unconstitutional government? Do you love government intrusion into our everyday lives? Do you believe the government has a right to regulate everything under the sun?

I don't see how anyone that enjoys their liberty could hate Ron Paul, unless they are asleep and unaware of the truth, or have been brainwashed by the MSM. Do some research man. Do you like Obama or Romney? These two are the exact same, and they are hand picked to continue the destruction of our once great country!

Ca Patriot

In the last election over 90% of blacks voted for Obama.

In 2011 there were about 75 police officers killed by blacks.

So I guess 60 Obama supporters murdered police officers last year.

Thats scary. Whats wrong with those Obama supporters ?