• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ordinance Questions

customcreationllc

What do you make of these?
I'm eventually going to move out of Naugatuck I'm just doing some homework.
Seems like most towns are the same around here.

I saw this in Oxford Ordinances looks like they don't allow guns on any public land in Oxford?

Bookmark§ 156.25 HUNTING, TRAPPING, ARCHERY AND USE OF FIREARMS AND THE LIKE.

(A) Hunting, trapping, archery, discharging firearms, paintball guns or use of any weapon on or into any regulated town open space area is prohibited. The Board of Selectmen may issue special limited permits for restricted hunting in specifically designated areas if it is deemed necessary by the Board for the culling of certain wildlife.

(B) No person crossing regulated town open space areas to gain access to private or state property may proceed through regulated town open space areas with any firearm.

(Ord. passed 4-29-2004) Penalty, see § 156.99

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Connecticut/oxford_ct/titlexvlandusage/chapter156landusageregulations?f=templates$fn=document-frameset.htm$q=firearm%20$x=server$3.0#LPHit1

I also looked at Naugatuck.
Borough means whole town correct?
Looks like everyone needs to get permission from the Mayor before entering this town.

Sec. 13-4. - Carrying firearms, etc.permanent link to this piece of content

No person shall carry on his person within the limits of the borough any firearm, brass or metal knuckles, slingshot or similar weapon without permission from the mayor.

http://library.municode.com/showDocumentFrame.aspx?clientID=12217&jobId=103234&docID=0

Does this mean hunting and target shoot is against the law?

Sec. 13-3. - Discharging firearms, airguns, etc.permanent link to this piece of content

No person shall discharge any pistol, revolver, gun, cannon or other firearm, or airgun in any street, park or public ground; provided, that this section shall not apply to the use of such weapons in lawful defense of the person, family or property of anyone, or in the performance of any duty required by law.

(Code 1973, § 16-3)

Section 63. - [Powers and authority of mayor and burgesses.]permanent link to this piece of content

The mayor and burgesses shall have full power and authority under the restrictions otherwise provided in this act, and subject to any other express provision covering the same object, contained in this act, to make, alter, and repeal such orders, rules, regulations, and by-laws as they shall see fit in relation to the following subjects within the limits of said borough, to wit:

21. To prohibit, license, or regulate the keeping, storage, use, or sale of gunpowder, kerosene, nitro-glycerine, or any other combustible or explosive substance or compound, and the conveyance or transportation of the same in or through any part of said borough, also to regulate or prohibit the use of firearms in said borough.

http://library.municode.com/showDocumentFrame.aspx?clientID=12217&jobId=103234&docID=1

Last edited:

LESGTINCT

What do you make of these?
I'm eventually going to move out of Naugatuck I'm just doing some homework.
Seems like most towns are the same around here.

I saw this in Oxford Ordinances looks like they don't allow guns on any public land in Oxford?

Bookmark§ 156.25 HUNTING, TRAPPING, ARCHERY AND USE OF FIREARMS AND THE LIKE.

(A) Hunting, trapping, archery, discharging firearms, paintball guns or use of any weapon on or into any regulated town open space area is prohibited. The Board of Selectmen may issue special limited permits for restricted hunting in specifically designated areas if it is deemed necessary by the Board for the culling of certain wildlife.

(B) No person crossing regulated town open space areas to gain access to private or state property may proceed through regulated town open space areas with any firearm.

(Ord. passed 4-29-2004) Penalty, see § 156.99

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Connecticut/oxford_ct/titlexvlandusage/chapter156landusageregulations?f=templates$fn=document-frameset.htm$q=firearm%20$x=server$3.0#LPHit1

I also looked at Naugatuck.
Borough means whole town correct?
Looks like everyone needs to get permission from the Mayor before entering this town.

Sec. 13-4. - Carrying firearms, etc.permanent link to this piece of content

No person shall carry on his person within the limits of the borough any firearm, brass or metal knuckles, slingshot or similar weapon without permission from the mayor.

http://library.municode.com/showDocumentFrame.aspx?clientID=12217&jobId=103234&docID=0

Does this mean hunting and target shoot is against the law?

Sec. 13-3. - Discharging firearms, airguns, etc.permanent link to this piece of content

No person shall discharge any pistol, revolver, gun, cannon or other firearm, or airgun in any street, park or public ground; provided, that this section shall not apply to the use of such weapons in lawful defense of the person, family or property of anyone, or in the performance of any duty required by law.

(Code 1973, § 16-3)

Section 63. - [Powers and authority of mayor and burgesses.]permanent link to this piece of content

The mayor and burgesses shall have full power and authority under the restrictions otherwise provided in this act, and subject to any other express provision covering the same object, contained in this act, to make, alter, and repeal such orders, rules, regulations, and by-laws as they shall see fit in relation to the following subjects within the limits of said borough, to wit:

21. To prohibit, license, or regulate the keeping, storage, use, or sale of gunpowder, kerosene, nitro-glycerine, or any other combustible or explosive substance or compound, and the conveyance or transportation of the same in or through any part of said borough, also to regulate or prohibit the use of firearms in said borough.

http://library.municode.com/showDocumentFrame.aspx?clientID=12217&jobId=103234&docID=1

Open space does not mean the whole town. Open space is land which the town wants to preserve/protect for one reason or another. This is from the DEP website;

Connecticut’s natural diversity and scenic beauty add immeasurably to the quality of life of its residents. The state’s prosperity has always depended upon its natural resources. Forests and farms contribute to a healthy and diverse economy. Parks and open lands improve the quality of life and help attract businesses. Natural areas and waterways provide critical wildlife habitat, clean drinking water, and scenic natural beauty, which is the foundation of the tourism industry. However, not all undeveloped land is protected open space; some of it will eventually be developed. For Connecticut to remain an attractive state in which to live, work and conduct business, it is critical that development be balanced with land conservation. 1) valuable for recreation, forestry, fishing, conservation of wildlife or natural resources; 2) a prime natural feature of the state's landscape; 3) habitat for native plant or animal species listed as threatened, endangered or of special concern; 4) a relatively undisturbed outstanding example of an uncommon native ecological community; 5) important for enhancing and conserving water quality; 6) valuable for preserving local agricultural heritage; or 7) eligible to be classified as Class I or Class II watershed land.

As far as the Naugatuck ordinance, usually a borough is a subsection of a town but it seems in this case it is the whole town. The penalty for that violation seems to be a $100 fine;

Sec. 1-7. - General penalty; continuing violations.

(a)

Whenever in this Code or in any ordinance or resolution of the borough any act is prohibited or is made or declared to be unlawful or an offense, or whenever in such Code, ordinance or resolution the doing of any act is required or the failure to do any act is declared to be unlawful, where no specific fine or penalty is provided therefor, the violation of any provision of this Code or any such ordinance or resolution shall be punished by a fine not exceeding one hundred dollars ($100.00); each day any violation of any provision of this Code or of any such ordinance or resolution shall continue shall constitute a separate offense.

(b)

In addition to the fine or penalty hereinabove provided, any condition caused or permitted to exist in violation of any of the provisions of this Code or any such ordinance or resolution shall be deemed a public nuisance and may be, by the borough abated as provided by law, and each day that such condition continues shall be regarded as a new and separate offense.

(c)

In all cases where the same offense may be made punishable, or shall be created by different clauses or sections of the ordinances of the borough, the prosecuting officer may elect under which to proceed; but not more than one (1) recovery shall be had against the same person for the same offense.

(d)

Obedience to the provisions hereinafter set forth may be enforced by criminal information for the penalties herein prescribed as well as by prosecution of the offender as provided in this section or by civil action for a penalty, or by civil remedy at law or equity by way of injunction, or otherwise to abate or prevent a violation of the provisions of this Code of Ordinances. Neither a judgment in, nor the pendency of a criminal prosecution for an alleged violation of the provisions of this Code, nor a judgment in or the pendency of a civil action at law or in equity shall be a bar to the other form of proceeding. The imposition of a penalty for a violation of this Code shall not excuse the violation or permit it to continue, and the remedies herein provided for penalties and civil action to enjoin or abate a violation shall be cumulative.

I would say this is another outdated municipal ordinance that is not used and most likely forgotten. I would bet that most if not all of the LEO's would not even know it exists and even then it's a $100 fine. As a LEO here in CT I would say that you would be fine with the pistol permit. If not, call the PD or the town or both to make sure. If you were in my town, I would be go by state law.

brk913

Also when looking at Oxford it speaks of Regulated Open Space, from their ordinances I found this:

§ 156.16 DEFINITION.
For the purposes of this chapter, the following definition shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.

REGULATED TOWN OPEN SPACE. All those town open space areas that have been designated as regulated by the Board of Selectmen and are set forth on a list entitled REGULATED TOWN OPEN SPACE on file in the Town Clerk’s office.

(Ord. passed 4-29-2004)

If you get a copy of this list I would love to see it posted here....

Rich B

I would say this is another outdated municipal ordinance that is not used and most likely forgotten. I would bet that most if not all of the LEO's would not even know it exists and even then it's a $100 fine. As a LEO here in CT I would say that you would be fine with the pistol permit. If not, call the PD or the town or both to make sure. If you were in my town, I would be go by state law.

+1

As always, it is all about your comfort level. How much of a stand are you willing to make and how much are you willing to spend to defend yourself if the worst happens?