• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knife Question -- Butterfly Knives

TheQ

I know knives aren't preempted -- that aside, are single edged balisong (butterfly knife) legal for possession/carry in Michigan?

TheQ

I don't see where they are prohibited, as long as you don't CC it.

I don't see how MCL 750.227 distinguishes between a spring assist folding knife and a balisong.

A spring assisted knife is widely accepted as legal to carry concealed or otherwise.

Maybe you could articulate your reasoning?

Last edited:

TheQ

Any person who shall sell or offer to sell, or any person who shall have in his possession any knife having the appearance of a pocket knife, the blade or blades of which can be opened by the flick of a button, pressure on a handle or other mechanical contrivance shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for not to exceed 1 year or by a fine of not to exceed $300.00, or both.

Doesn't seem to apply? No flick of a button or pressure on the handle.

FerretMI

Any person who shall sell or offer to sell, or any person who shall have in his possession any knife having the appearance of a pocket knife, the blade or blades of which can be opened by the flick of a button, pressure on a handle or other mechanical contrivance shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for not to exceed 1 year or by a fine of not to exceed $300.00, or both.

I'm not sure whether this portion applies.

Last edited:

Ezerharden

If that applied, spring assist would be illegal.

If that happens, I know a few County Sheriffs, and a couple local LEO's that are going to jail sicn the carry SOG knives like I do. :eek: :lol:

Last edited:

Hevymetal

Ok, here goes. The way it was explained to me is:

Illegal:
ANY mechanically assisted knife.
1. Switchblade
2. DAOTF (Double Action Out The Front)
3. Spring Assisted knives of any kind
4. Double edged knifes
5. Projectile knives of ANY kind (spring or charged)
6. Tri-bladed stilettos and bayonets not attached to a rifle

There is an exemption for the above for LEOS, Firefighters, Paramedics and a one armed individual may carry mechanical knives (switchblades, DAOTF and spring assisted). Double edged, projectile and tri-bladed stilettos are ALWAYS illegal. In fact I believe projectile knives are Federally prohibited.

Legal:
1. Single edged knives of non-mechanical nature (butterfly, folding, fixed, gravity)

As long as your butterfly knife is single edged and below 3.5" in blade length you may carry it concealed. If the blade is in excess of 3.5" it must be openly displayed (belt clip or sheath)

stainless1911

Banned
they would be legal or illegal?

legal. We put that in there to re instate that part of the RKBA.

I don't see how MCL 750.227 distinguishes between a spring assist folding knife and a balisong.

A spring assisted knife is widely accepted as legal to carry concealed or otherwise.

Maybe you could articulate your reasoning?

(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person

I think the butterfly would be fine to carry, as the statute specifies concealment only.

Gort

I know knives aren't preempted -- that aside, are single edged balisong (butterfly knife) legal for possession/carry in Michigan?

Knowing that any type of knifes are not preempted, It depends on where your are at the time, So You can be Legal or Illegal

some one compiled the pdf list below, may not be up to date or correct.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Last edited:

Bronson

Ok, here goes. The way it was explained to me is:

Illegal:
ANY mechanically assisted knife.
1. Switchblade
2. DAOTF (Double Action Out The Front)
3. Spring Assisted knives of any kind
4. Double edged knifes
5. Projectile knives of ANY kind (spring or charged)
6. Tri-bladed stilettos and bayonets not attached to a rifle

Let me guess, it was explained by a police officer. I say that because spring assisted knives are legal.

Bronson

cmdr_iceman71

legal. We put that in there to re instate that part of the RKBA.

(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person

I think the butterfly would be fine to carry, as the statute specifies concealment only.

So here is the question then: would a single-edged, folding knife, of less than 3 inches, with no mechanical contrivances fit the definition of a "dangerous weapon?"