• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st case of OC'er killed for OC'ing?

frogfish

Saw this posted over on a glock forum.

"from the Richmond Times Dispatch;
Tyler, a customer at the BP station, was killed about 8:15 p.m. Friday, Nov. 25, inside the store. According to court papers, Smith and Hamiel arrived at the BP together on a single scooter and followed Tyler into the store.

Tyler, 48, had a concealed-carry permit, but his handgun was plainly visible that night in his holster, Johnson said.

"The suspects walk in and one immediately reached for Mr. Tyler's gun," Johnson said. Tyler did not draw his weapon.

According to court papers, Smith took Tyler's gun during a struggle and shot Tyler in the chest after the victim chased Smith inside the store. Authorities said they could not confirm that Tyler was killed with his own gun until they get the results of forensics testing. They also are awaiting test results to show whether the gun used to kill Tyler was the one used to shoot Cosby."

Thoughts?

OC4me

There is a previous thread on this...not sure where I saw this but it is old news. I don't remember how all the facts eventually shook out so I can't comment on the possibility that the guy was killed merely for OCing. There may probably have been a few other factors involved.

Last edited:

Aknazer

They stole his gun, he chased them, they shot him. I wouldn't say he was killed for OCing, I would say he was targeted for his gun due to OCing and then killed for chasing after armed robbers while he was unarmed.

Though I would still rather OC than CC. This case simply highlights the reason to have a retention holster.

hermannr

And how many LEO's are killed with their own weapon every year? Several. It happens, and it happens to Concealed carriers too. As skidmark says...stay safe...I add, stay aware.

tattedupboy

I think what this shows is that even OC is not 100% effecting at deterring a criminal who is determined. Nevertheless, I can't help but wonder how the perps were able to get close enough to the guy to disarm him. Maybe a case of him not being fully aware of his surroundings?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It is an old event. Can we let the thread die a dignified death while those that are curious go use the search function to find the old threads and read them?

If there is interest in discussing weapon retention a new thread would be a good idea.

stay safe.

40grit

+1

It is an old event. Can we let the thread die a dignified death while those that are curious go use the search function to find the old threads and read them?

If there is interest in discussing weapon retention a new thread would be a good idea.

stay safe.
+1

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Indeed this is very old news and likely not meriting another new thread.
Would be more than happy to merge or link the earlier threads, but have not been able to locate them either with our search function or via goggle. :(

Always was some question as to whether he was targeted because he was OCing. It was reported that they knew each other and had some disagreement. In the ensuing struggle, the gun allegedly fell out on the floor and was picked up by the shooter. Is that a gun snatch...I think not. ymmv

In any event if it was a grab/snatch, we must compare it to the thousands (millions?) of OC events/occurrences to make a valid correlation. It seems to me that a resultant numerical ratio would look something like .00001%. I'll take those odds, particularly when a retention holster and situational awareness are added into the mix.

What is news is the disposition of the case - it ain't over yet.

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2012/02/17/6127119.htm

[url]http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2012/feb/16/teen-nov-slaying-south-richmond-gas-station-back-c-ar-1694177/

[/URL]

Mahnarch

They stole his gun, he chased them, they shot him. I wouldn't say he was killed for OCing, I would say he was targeted for his gun due to OCing and then killed for chasing after armed robbers while he was unarmed.

Though I would still rather OC than CC. This case simply highlights the reason to have a retention holster.

This is one of the reasons I like my duty holster. I rides high - and it lifts up an inch before Gloria comes out.
That extra second gives me a chance to put my elbow down and block her if someone grabs for her from behind.

Also, the thumb break is a precise ...uhm... break. It takes many hours of practice to reach down, break it, and pull without hesitation.

Also, also, that extra second gives me the chance to re-evaluate the scenario. [Do I pull? Don't I? - but, not long enough to be caught off guard.]

Plus, when I carry, I know what, where, who and how of EVERYTHING!

-The girl in the red shirt is getting a coffee.
-The old guy in the grey shirt is scratching a lotto ticket.
-The cashier is picking his nose.
-The guy who just came out of the bathroom just pocketed three candy bars.
-The guy who just walked in behind me was listening to Christian Talk on his radio as he fueled up.

This is all realized as I walk in the door - continuing from when I pulled into the parking lot (and saw the older lady tip a beer can).

I'm aware of everything, always.
[Not bragging! I was scarred shitless into this state from PD training and actually having been attacked by a perp...
emot-ohdear.png
]
[[I guess you could call it a form of PTSD]]

SPOProds

I think what this shows is that even OC is not 100% effecting at deterring a criminal who is determined. Nevertheless, I can't help but wonder how the perps were able to get close enough to the guy to disarm him. Maybe a case of him not being fully aware of his surroundings?

Poetically a case of no retention though. Anyone know what holster he was using? Mt thought is a G'Code, Serpa or a Safariland ALS would not have allowed this.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Poetically a case of no retention though. Anyone know what holster he was using? Mt thought is a G'Code, Serpa or a Safariland ALS would not have allowed this.

As I recall he did not use a retention holster, typically CCd, OCd on a whim that night for the first time. Got into a scuffle with someone he knew, gun fell out, he was shot.