Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just found old roommates hondgun??

Cool just found old roommates hondgun??

Hi, I just found my old roommates handgun in an old box from when i last moved, and i have not seen him in almost a year he moved out of state. Can i transfer to my name it's a very nice gun and i want to carry it!!!
    I don't want to just have it at home. And yes i know what most of you might say "who forgets a gun". He had way to many and he's an idiot stoner. Any help would be great.

Thumbs down

sorry I know i misspelled handgun

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    In your name?
    Is there a registration in PA?
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Is it reported lost/stolen?

there's no registration in PA and no it's not in my name nor reported stolen

or lost

Not reported lost or stolen yet. May be that the stoner roommate puts down the blunt long enough to realize he does not have his firearm anymore and reports it. A week from now or two years, it is still a problem. How does possession of a stolen firearm sound?

It is not yours. If you would like to keep it, contact the old roommate and buy it from him or just ask to keep it. Get the transaction in writing. It may be a nice gun but it is simply is not worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepdiver36 View Post
    Not reported lost or stolen yet. May be that the stoner roommate puts down the blunt long enough to realize he does not have his firearm anymore and reports it. A week from now or two years, it is still a problem. How does possession of a stolen firearm sound?

It is not yours. If you would like to keep it, contact the old roommate and buy it from him or just ask to keep it. Get the transaction in writing. It may be a nice gun but it is simply is not worth the risk.
    Can i do that get the transaction in writing? Is that even legal?

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by freeSTATE101 View Post
    Can i do that get the transaction in writing? Is that even legal?
    The transfer has to be effected through an FFL.

You say he was a stoner? Was he even legally permitted to own a firearm? How did he obtain it?

One possible option would be to contact the local police, get a receipt if you have to hand it over, and possibly claim it as found property. Remember, the police can't just arbitrarily dispose of it, nor can they claim they returned it to its owner without some paper trail.

Another possible option would be to contact an attorney.

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepdiver36 View Post
    Not reported lost or stolen … yet. May be that the stoner roommate puts down the blunt long enough to realize he does not have his firearm anymore and reports it. A week from now or two years, it is still a problem. How does possession of a stolen firearm sound?

Your post is implying those that smoke Marijuana are somehow ignorant and unable to think for themselves. Perhaps this man just never used the firearm, and simply forgot it. Perhaps he isn't an intelligent man, or maybe he has some type of retardation.

As for the OP, I would hand it over to the local police department and inform them if no one claims the firearm, or if they don't find the original owner that you would like to keep it. I don't know how the law works in PA, but here in KY that is exactly what would happen. I certainly would not carry the firearm, even if you have contacted the friend and he claims it is ok. You never know if he has already reported it stolen, or if he may at a later date. I would also reccommend that you stop calling people names. You called your previous roommate an idiot, yet in the very post where you call someone else an idiot, that same post is riddled with grammatical errors. I guess the only thing to say is TOUCHE!
    Last edited by KYGlockster; 09-06-2012 at 10:16 PM.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post

You say he was a stoner? Was he even legally permitted to own a firearm? How did he obtain it?

One possible option would be to contact the local police, get a receipt if you have to hand it over, and possibly claim it as found property. Remember, the police can't just arbitrarily dispose of it, nor can they claim they returned it to its owner without some paper trail.

Another possible option would be to contact an attorney.
    RETURNING a firearm to its lawful owner should not require the services of an FFL. There is NO transfer of ownership involved simply returning another's property to him. As to if your "stoner" friend is in lawful ownership or not, YOU KNOW that the gun is not yours. I'd suggest contacting your former roommate if possible and see if he will let you make your possession of HIS property legal. For this, however, you WILL need the services of an FFL to be legal IF YOUR FRIEND NO LONGER LIVES IN THE SAME STATE AS YOU!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Your post is implying those that smoke Marijuana are somehow ignorant and unable to think for themselves. Perhaps this man just never used the firearm, and simply forgot it. Perhaps he isn't an intelligent man, or maybe he has some type of retardation.

As for the OP, I would hand it over to the local police department and inform them if no one claims the firearm, or if they don't find the original owner that you would like to keep it. I don't know how the law works in PA, but here in KY that is exactly what would happen. I certainly would not carry the firearm, even if you have contacted the friend and he claims it is ok. You never know if he has already reported it stolen, or if he may at a later date. I would also reccommend that you stop calling people names. You called your previous roommate an idiot, yet in the very post where you call someone else an idiot, that same post is riddled with grammatical errors. I guess the only thing to say is TOUCHE!
    Well how about i imply that U.S. Federal law prohibits any user or addict of a controlled substance from possessing any weapon defined as a firearm under the GCA meaning the firearm was unlawfully possessed.
    Turn it in to the cops, or deliver it on his doorstep and leave. I wouldn't chance it, where drug addicts are concerned you can never be too careful
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Hi, I just found my old roommates handgun in an old box from when i last moved, and i have not seen him in almost a year he moved out of state. Can i transfer to my name it's a very nice gun and i want to carry it!!!
    I don't want to just have it at home. And yes i know what most of you might say "who forgets a gun". He had way to many and he's an idiot stoner. Any help would be great.

There is no "finders keepers" in PA.

3924. Theft of property lost, mislaid, or delivered by
    mistake.
    A person who comes into control of property of another that
    he knows to have been lost, mislaid, or delivered under a
    mistake as to the nature or amount of the property or the
    identity of the recipient is guilty of theft if, with intent to
    deprive the owner thereof, he fails to take reasonable measures
    to restore the property to a person entitled to have it.
    http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/c...9.024.000.html

You have a duty to try and return it. Do the right thing.
    Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the Government's purposes are beneficent.
    Louis Dembitz Brandeis

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    How does the OP even know that his ex-roomie is even the legal owner of the gun?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

OP said he was an 'idiot stoner". Relax a little and try not to take things out of context! Smoke on!
    Last edited by Deepdiver36; 09-07-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Call the police, have them pick up the firearm. Not doing so puts yourself at risk, you also don't know if the gun was stolen or if he reported it stolen. You're placing yourself at legal risk by not turning in the firearm.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Your post is implying those that smoke Marijuana are somehow ignorant and unable to think for themselves. <snip>
    http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/study-s...umber-with-age

Uh, yepper, smoking a fatty does make you dumber.

Duh!
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Well how about i imply that U.S. Federal law prohibits any user or addict of a controlled substance from possessing any weapon defined as a firearm under the GCA meaning the firearm was unlawfully possessed.
    Turn it in to the cops, or deliver it on his doorstep and leave. I wouldn't chance it, where drug addicts are concerned you can never be too careful
    There are hundreds of thousands of chronic pain patients who are under the medical definition "addicted/dependent" on opioid narcotic pain medication such as Morphine and Oxycodone.
    They are prescribed this by a physician for legitimate severe chronic pain.
    They also lead productive and completely legal lifestyles.

It seems to me that Federal law is unconstitutional or at the very least needs to be have a caveat attached to it.

I realize that many believe Marijuana is an extremely dangerous drug, but how many non-prohibited violent alcoholics are legally allowed to buy firearms? Many of them I would guess.

My point is, dont swallow the whole "war on drugs" talking points.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Not needed .. private sales does not a ffl ....

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Not needed .. private sales does not a ffl ....
    Yes, it does, in this case. In PA only long guns and shotguns can be sold
    without going through a FFL.

All transfers of handguns, short-barreled rifles, and short barreled shotguns must go
    through an FFL unless the transfer meets the narrow exceptions for certain family
    members.
    While many claim to support the right to keep and bear arms, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    There are hundreds of thousands of chronic pain patients who are under the medical definition "addicted/dependent" on opioid narcotic pain medication such as Morphine and Oxycodone.
    They are prescribed this by a physician for legitimate severe chronic pain.
    They also lead productive and completely legal lifestyles.

It seems to me that Federal law is unconstitutional or at the very least needs to be have a caveat attached to it.

I realize that many believe Marijuana is an extremely dangerous drug, but how many non-prohibited violent alcoholics are legally allowed to buy firearms? Many of them I would guess.

My point is, dont swallow the whole "war on drugs" talking points.
    I didn't repeat any war on drugs talking points, I simply stated that federal law prohibits drug addicts from buying firearms.

As far as your other points, I don't know enough about medical use of opioids and drugs for painkilling, i'm not a doctor or a pharmacist.

I do however, dispute the libertarian fantasy that if all drugs were suddenly legalized that everything would be all sunshine and lollipops and all drug related societal problems would disappear. so while the war on drugs certainly has problems associated with it, i'm not ready to jump on board to full legalization
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Yes, it does, in this case. In PA only long guns and shotguns can be sold
    without going through a FFL.

All transfers of handguns, short-barreled rifles, and short barreled shotguns must go
    through an FFL unless the transfer meets the narrow exceptions for certain family
    members.
    Agreed.

6111. Sale or transfer of firearms. (--snipped--) Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.

The provisions contained in subsections (a) and (c) shall only apply to pistols or revolvers with a barrel length of less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18 inches, any rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches or any firearm with an overall length of less than 26 inches.

http://paopencarry.org/uniform-firearms-act
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-08-2012 at 05:40 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Is this much effort and risk really worth a couple hundred $$? If you like the gun so much, go buy one and either call your old roommate, or drop "his" gun at the police.
    Last edited by carolina guy; 09-08-2012 at 05:53 PM.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    How does the OP even know that his ex-roomie is even the legal owner of the gun?
    I don't think that even matters as he does know that it isn't his gun and maintaining possession or control of same without the owner's permission is theft.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    I don't think that even matters as he does know that it isn't his gun and maintaining possession or control of same without the owner's permission is theft.
    I think you miss my intended point, which obviously I did not make clear enough.

That point being that the gun could be stolen or "borrowed" and not the legitimate property of his ex-roommate. I did not intimate that he should simply keep it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast