• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

just found old roommates hondgun??

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMNofSeattle

There are hundreds of thousands of chronic pain patients who are under the medical definition "addicted/dependent" on opioid narcotic pain medication such as Morphine and Oxycodone.
They are prescribed this by a physician for legitimate severe chronic pain.
They also lead productive and completely legal lifestyles.

It seems to me that Federal law is unconstitutional or at the very least needs to be have a caveat attached to it.

I realize that many believe Marijuana is an extremely dangerous drug, but how many non-prohibited violent alcoholics are legally allowed to buy firearms? Many of them I would guess.

My point is, dont swallow the whole "war on drugs" talking points.

I didn't repeat any war on drugs talking points, I simply stated that federal law prohibits drug addicts from buying firearms.

As far as your other points, I don't know enough about medical use of opioids and drugs for painkilling, i'm not a doctor or a pharmacist.

I do however, dispute the libertarian fantasy that if all drugs were suddenly legalized that everything would be all sunshine and lollipops and all drug related societal problems would disappear. so while the war on drugs certainly has problems associated with it, i'm not ready to jump on board to full legalization

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes, it does, in this case. In PA only long guns and shotguns can be sold
without going through a FFL.

All transfers of handguns, short-barreled rifles, and short barreled shotguns must go
through an FFL unless the transfer meets the narrow exceptions for certain family
members.

Agreed.

§ 6111. Sale or transfer of firearms. (--snipped--) Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.

The provisions contained in subsections (a) and (c) shall only apply to pistols or revolvers with a barrel length of less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18 inches, any rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches or any firearm with an overall length of less than 26 inches.

http://paopencarry.org/uniform-firearms-act

Last edited:

carolina guy

Is this much effort and risk really worth a couple hundred $$? If you like the gun so much, go buy one and either call your old roommate, or drop "his" gun at the police.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

How does the OP even know that his ex-roomie is even the legal owner of the gun?
I don't think that even matters as he does know that it isn't his gun and maintaining possession or control of same without the owner's permission is theft.

I think you miss my intended point, which obviously I did not make clear enough.

That point being that the gun could be stolen or "borrowed" and not the legitimate property of his ex-roommate. I did not intimate that he should simply keep it.

JoeSparky

Centurion
I think you miss my intended point, which obviously I did not make clear enough.

That point being that the gun could be stolen or "borrowed" and not the legitimate property of his ex-roommate. I did not intimate that he should simply keep it.

No problems from me here... just adding a point to the discussion using your comment as a jumping off point.... and you are right.... OP's assumption that the firearm was/is the LAWFUL property of a former roommate that has either been forgotten or INTENTIONALLY abandoned... Now the OP has to figure out just what to do with same and NOT BECOME A CRIMINAL IN THE PROCESS!

tyc

Hi, I just found my old roommates handgun in an old box from when i last moved, and i have not seen him in almost a year he moved out of state. Can i transfer to my name it's a very nice gun and i want to carry it!!!
I don't want to just have it at home. And yes i know what most of you might say "who forgets a gun". He had way to many and he's an idiot stoner. Any help would be great.

Are you sure it wasn't used in a crime? Robbery? Murder? Stolen?

tyc

MKEgal

EMNofSeattle said:
I do however, dispute the libertarian fantasy that if all drugs were suddenly legalized that everything would be all sunshine and lollipops and all drug related societal problems would disappear.
What societal problems do we have as holdovers from Prohibition, and how many have disappeared?

I'd say getting rid of the mafia, or other gangs in charge of the illegal alcohol trade, was a huge plus. This is the same era/group that gave us drive-by shootings & the first national gun control law. (OK, there's a big negative.)

Ditto for losing the low-quality & sometimes dangerous / deadly things people passed off as drinking alcohol. Knowing the composition & purity of what you're ingesting / inhaling / injecting is a huge plus.

People who drink too much at once, or as a habit, can get treatment without worrying that they'll be put in jail simply for their drug use.

And the gov't makes money from taxing now-legal products.

IMO, all of those would apply to other drugs (currently illegal).

Now... we do still have problems from people misusing completely legal alcohol. Heck, I live in WI, one of the most drunk-driver-friendly states in the nation. But that happened when alcohol was illegal too.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

What societal problems do we have as holdovers from Prohibition, and how many have disappeared?

Systemic societal problems from prohibition are generally gone now, I'll grant you that one

I'd say getting rid of the mafia, or other gangs in charge of the illegal alcohol trade, was a huge plus. This is the same era/group that gave us drive-by shootings & the first national gun control law. (OK, there's a big negative.)

And the mafia gained in power long after prohibition ended, when booze was no longer the big selling point they moved into protection rackets and narcotics and prostitution, there is always new criminal endeavours to enter for the illegal business.

Ditto for losing the low-quality & sometimes dangerous / deadly things people passed off as drinking alcohol. Knowing the composition & purity of what you're ingesting / inhaling / injecting is a huge plus.

Alcohol is fundementally different the crack cocaine or ecstasy, or methamphetamine. especially ectasy and the designer drugs, there is no way I can see that pure or regulated ingrediants would make it less dangerous in the least. Alcohol is only an issue if ingested in large enough amounts, alcoholism doesn't form as quick as addictions to other narcotics do, alcohol has long standing use for both ceremony and traditionally acoholic beverages were used to store excess grain or to make water safe to drink in places where it was often contaminated. crack cocaine and ecstasy, et al have no ceremonial significance, and in no way aid one's general health in any way, furthermore even small amounts can cause major health consequences and addiction that can only be combated by pharmaceuticals quickly forms with one or two "hits" there is no comparison between hard drugs and alcohol.

People who drink too much at once, or as a habit, can get treatment without worrying that they'll be put in jail simply for their drug use

in Washington state at least, drug rehab is considered medical care and is thus subject to state and federal privacy protections. furthermore in Washington drug addiction is considered a "disability" if one voluntarily seeks medical treatment or counseling for addiciton and employers must reasonably accomodate rehab or addiciton counseling by their employees or risk fines from the WA Human Rights Commision. I don't know what WI says about that or any other state, but I'd have to imagine more states then just WA have that standard. You will not be jailed or fired from your work in this state if you seek counseling or medical rehab and haven't been caught by testing or police.

And the gov't makes money from taxing now-legal products.

If such products are sold retail. Right now a fight is raging in this state over pharmacies being required to stock birth control pills, are we going to require pharmacists to stock ectasy or crack hits? most reputable pharmacies are in the business to stock medicine, not recreational narcotics. I have to imagine most pharamcists would want nothing to do with the type of clientelle that would buy such drugs. even marijuana is controversial enough that access could limited. if that's the case the illicit networks to distribute will remain, except now they only get charged with not having proper licenses. unless retail outlets adopt selling controversial drugs with no medical purpose then the state's tax revenue will be limited.

IMO, all of those would apply to other drugs (currently illegal).

IMO it's not the same thing.

EMNofSeattle

Now definitely the war on drugs is being handled incorrectly and drug enforcement has crossed into a zone of.... questionable.... constitutionality and there might be some points to legalizing MJ, but for the most part, i really don't see full drug legalization benefitting society in any way

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
i really don't see full drug legalization benefitting society in any way
The overall percentage of addicts might increase a percentage point or two, but the price of drugs would plummet, thus removing both the value of the drug trade and the overriding crime associated with it, thus benefitting society. The crime rate for addicts would also decrease significantly, also thus benefitting society.

In 1912 the Progressives pushed through the legislation criminalizing drugs. What changed, society-wise, between 1911 and 1912? Nothing. We had addicts following the Civil War, addicted to laudinum. They were a problem to themselves, but their opium addiction wasn't a major problem. All the government did was change legal, undesirable products into illegal, undesirable products, thus driving up their price on the black market.

EMNofSeattle

The overall percentage of addicts might increase a percentage point or two, but the price of drugs would plummet, thus removing both the value of the drug trade and the overriding crime associated with it, thus benefitting society. The crime rate for addicts would also decrease significantly, also thus benefitting society.

Pure speculation. once you factor in taxes, zoning, regulatory compliance, legal challenges etc you cannot make the claim prices would go down. particularily when on the civil side of things, it's considered tort damages to sell a product that's unsafe in it's intended use. so we legalize drugs, someone takes a hit of crack bought at Walgreens and subsequently dies or is hospitilized. any tort or wrognful death action against the retailer, distributer, importer etc will likely be ruled for the plaintiff and then no retail outlets will want to sell it because they'll be hit with 50 million dollar puntitive judgements and decide not to retail it. what do you have now? a system in which the only way to buy is through non-licensed dealers of course.

Not to mention if drugs are "legalized" they still have to be approved for use by the FDA administratively, considering the dangerous nature of such substances, even statutory legalization is likely to result in regulatory restriction.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The pros and cons of legalizing the sale of drugs has very little to nothing to do with OC or RKBA.

This thread has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.