• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

just found old roommates hondgun??

Status
Not open for further replies.

freeSTATE101

Hi, I just found my old roommates handgun in an old box from when i last moved, and i have not seen him in almost a year he moved out of state. Can i transfer to my name it's a very nice gun and i want to carry it!!!
I don't want to just have it at home. And yes i know what most of you might say "who forgets a gun". He had way to many and he's an idiot stoner. Any help would be great.

Deepdiver36

Not reported lost or stolen … yet. May be that the stoner roommate puts down the blunt long enough to realize he does not have his firearm anymore and reports it. A week from now or two years, it is still a problem. How does possession of a stolen firearm sound?

It is not yours. If you would like to keep it, contact the old roommate and buy it from him or just ask to keep it. Get the transaction in writing. It may be a nice gun but it is simply is not worth the risk.

freeSTATE101

Not reported lost or stolen … yet. May be that the stoner roommate puts down the blunt long enough to realize he does not have his firearm anymore and reports it. A week from now or two years, it is still a problem. How does possession of a stolen firearm sound?

It is not yours. If you would like to keep it, contact the old roommate and buy it from him or just ask to keep it. Get the transaction in writing. It may be a nice gun but it is simply is not worth the risk.

Can i do that get the transaction in writing? Is that even legal?

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
Can i do that get the transaction in writing? Is that even legal?
The transfer has to be effected through an FFL.

You say he was a stoner? Was he even legally permitted to own a firearm? How did he obtain it?

One possible option would be to contact the local police, get a receipt if you have to hand it over, and possibly claim it as found property. Remember, the police can't just arbitrarily dispose of it, nor can they claim they returned it to its owner without some paper trail.

Another possible option would be to contact an attorney.

KYGlockster

Activist Member

Your post is implying those that smoke Marijuana are somehow ignorant and unable to think for themselves. Perhaps this man just never used the firearm, and simply forgot it. Perhaps he isn't an intelligent man, or maybe he has some type of retardation.

As for the OP, I would hand it over to the local police department and inform them if no one claims the firearm, or if they don't find the original owner that you would like to keep it. I don't know how the law works in PA, but here in KY that is exactly what would happen. I certainly would not carry the firearm, even if you have contacted the friend and he claims it is ok. You never know if he has already reported it stolen, or if he may at a later date. I would also reccommend that you stop calling people names. You called your previous roommate an idiot, yet in the very post where you call someone else an idiot, that same post is riddled with grammatical errors. I guess the only thing to say is TOUCHE!

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
The transfer has to be effected through an FFL.

You say he was a stoner? Was he even legally permitted to own a firearm? How did he obtain it?

One possible option would be to contact the local police, get a receipt if you have to hand it over, and possibly claim it as found property. Remember, the police can't just arbitrarily dispose of it, nor can they claim they returned it to its owner without some paper trail.

Another possible option would be to contact an attorney.

RETURNING a firearm to its lawful owner should not require the services of an FFL. There is NO transfer of ownership involved simply returning another's property to him. As to if your "stoner" friend is in lawful ownership or not, YOU KNOW that the gun is not yours. I'd suggest contacting your former roommate if possible and see if he will let you make your possession of HIS property legal. For this, however, you WILL need the services of an FFL to be legal IF YOUR FRIEND NO LONGER LIVES IN THE SAME STATE AS YOU!

EMNofSeattle

Your post is implying those that smoke Marijuana are somehow ignorant and unable to think for themselves. Perhaps this man just never used the firearm, and simply forgot it. Perhaps he isn't an intelligent man, or maybe he has some type of retardation.

As for the OP, I would hand it over to the local police department and inform them if no one claims the firearm, or if they don't find the original owner that you would like to keep it. I don't know how the law works in PA, but here in KY that is exactly what would happen. I certainly would not carry the firearm, even if you have contacted the friend and he claims it is ok. You never know if he has already reported it stolen, or if he may at a later date. I would also reccommend that you stop calling people names. You called your previous roommate an idiot, yet in the very post where you call someone else an idiot, that same post is riddled with grammatical errors. I guess the only thing to say is TOUCHE!

Well how about i imply that U.S. Federal law prohibits any user or addict of a controlled substance from possessing any weapon defined as a firearm under the GCA meaning the firearm was unlawfully possessed.
Turn it in to the cops, or deliver it on his doorstep and leave. I wouldn't chance it, where drug addicts are concerned you can never be too careful

kadar

Hi, I just found my old roommates handgun in an old box from when i last moved, and i have not seen him in almost a year he moved out of state. Can i transfer to my name it's a very nice gun and i want to carry it!!!
I don't want to just have it at home. And yes i know what most of you might say "who forgets a gun". He had way to many and he's an idiot stoner. Any help would be great.

There is no "finders keepers" in PA.

§ 3924. Theft of property lost, mislaid, or delivered by
mistake.
A person who comes into control of property of another that
he knows to have been lost, mislaid, or delivered under a
mistake as to the nature or amount of the property or the
identity of the recipient is guilty of theft if, with intent to
deprive the owner thereof, he fails to take reasonable measures
to restore the property to a person entitled to have it.
http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/crimes-and-offenses/00.039.024.000.html

You have a duty to try and return it. Do the right thing.

Deepdiver36

OP said he was an 'idiot stoner". Relax a little and try not to take things out of context! Smoke on! :D

Last edited:

david.ross

Call the police, have them pick up the firearm. Not doing so puts yourself at risk, you also don't know if the gun was stolen or if he reported it stolen. You're placing yourself at legal risk by not turning in the firearm.

Sig229

Well how about i imply that U.S. Federal law prohibits any user or addict of a controlled substance from possessing any weapon defined as a firearm under the GCA meaning the firearm was unlawfully possessed.
Turn it in to the cops, or deliver it on his doorstep and leave. I wouldn't chance it, where drug addicts are concerned you can never be too careful

There are hundreds of thousands of chronic pain patients who are under the medical definition "addicted/dependent" on opioid narcotic pain medication such as Morphine and Oxycodone.
They are prescribed this by a physician for legitimate severe chronic pain.
They also lead productive and completely legal lifestyles.

It seems to me that Federal law is unconstitutional or at the very least needs to be have a caveat attached to it.

I realize that many believe Marijuana is an extremely dangerous drug, but how many non-prohibited violent alcoholics are legally allowed to buy firearms? Many of them I would guess.

My point is, dont swallow the whole "war on drugs" talking points.

Curmudgeon

Not needed .. private sales does not a ffl ....

Yes, it does, in this case. In PA only long guns and shotguns can be sold
without going through a FFL.

All transfers of handguns, short-barreled rifles, and short barreled shotguns must go
through an FFL unless the transfer meets the narrow exceptions for certain family
members.

Status
Not open for further replies.