• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about OC for non-residents

llama.380

I have looked around all evening, and my search brought me to this website. This is my first post for this reason. I poked around in the Virginia section and really didn't find what I was looking for, and its possible I may have overlooked it. My question is this. I am currently living somewhat long term in VA temporarily due to work. I am normally a resident of North Carolina. Does Virginia require any kind of permit for non-residents or are there any regulations or laws that would prevent me from OC'ing in this state while being a resident of another state? Basically, what I am asking is since I live in NC, can I OC in VA? Thanks.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Yes, you may OC without any kind of permit. There are no laws or regulations that prevent you from OCing as a non-resident. (I am assuming that you are legally allowed to possess a firearm)

Do you have a North Carolina permit? If so, it is valid in VA. If not, there are a few benefits to having a permit so you may want to look at obtaining a non-resident permit if you so choose.

I also recommend that you check out the Virginia Citizens Defense League. It is a great group dedicated to gun rights in VA. If you go to their website you can sign up for VA-ALERT (on the right side of the page) which is a free email system that will keep you informed about everything gun-related going on in the state. The website is http://www.vcdl.org

You may also wish to check out the following links for places where you can and cannot carry.

Open Carry
http://opencarry.org/va.html

Concealed Carry
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf

Last edited:

llama.380

Thanks for the reply. The opencarry.org link you provided is what led me here. So now that the important question has been answered I am sure I will have more questions about OC in VA. As for the permit, the only interest I have is having a visible weapon for the purpose of crime deterrence with a secondary, and hopefully never needed, purpose of gene pool cleansing if some idiot thug lacks the brain capacity to realize that I have a gun.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Thanks for the reply. The opencarry.org link you provided is what led me here. So now that the important question has been answered I am sure I will have more questions about OC in VA. As for the permit, the only interest I have is having a visible weapon for the purpose of crime deterrence with a secondary, and hopefully never needed, purpose of gene pool cleansing if some idiot thug lacks the brain capacity to realize that I have a gun.

Great!! Feel free to ask any questions that you may have. The Virginia forum is one of the most educated on this site. I too open carry everywhere I go!