• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun Registration Repeal question

davidmcbeth

Banned
Odd, I never thought any of those "registration" requirements were even lawful .. oh well....get it repealed and thats that

Keep the faith !

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
does this mean it's on the agenda for 9/11 or will be placed on the agenda 9/11 for vote on a later date? either way, i've already left a message with my senator and will probably call again the morning of 9/11. last time i spoke to one of his staffers they did say he would "likely" vote in favor, but at that time it hadn't passed the judiciary committee yet.

sasha601

I am for repeal of pistol registration.
However, since it was recommended with "immediate effect" then if passed next week and quickly signed into Law, then all these guys in Michigan that think they can register Michigan Pistols as pistols before 1-1-13 will be screwed. There will be know way to get a copy of registration record since the re will be no registration requirement and cities and counties will refuse to register Michigan Pistols after this takes effect and prior to 1-1-13. Sad. It is better if this takes effect on 1-1-13

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
not that it matters anyway all records are ordered to be destroyed... so who's to say when it got registered. there's nothing sad about getting our rights back.

detroit_fan

not that it matters anyway all records are ordered to be destroyed... so who's to say when it got registered. there's nothing sad about getting our rights back.

Could not agree more! this and SB59 are the 2 most important 2A bills in MI in a long time, hopefully it will come up for a vote this month. It passed the house easily, and I think it would pass the senate too. Be sure to email Randy Richardville too to ask him to bring it up for a vote asap.

sasha601

I agree. I am sad that there will be "early cut off" for registering MI pistols. I understand that records will be destroyed. But these who registered can get a copy of the record. If not registered, then the only way to have a copy is to create it your self. This is fraud. I understand that one would not get caught most likely if all records are destroyed. But, it is still fraud.

sasha601

Whats to stop someone from saying that a post 13 weapon was grandfathered? How are you to prove your legally owned current Michigan pistol is legal in the future?

At least I have a copy of the registration record prior to 1-1-13. I understand that this is just a simple printout on 8 1/2 x 11 paper. But, at least I would have that.

SpringerXDacp

Whats to stop someone from saying that a post 13 weapon was grandfathered? How are you to prove your legally owned current Michigan pistol is legal in the future?

Perhaps one way, is to purchase your Mi Pistol, new or used, from an FFL where the 4473 is required. That, and retain copy(ies) of RI-010 or RI-060.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
If handgun registration is repealed, why would anyone need registration to identify a Michigan Pistol? If it fits the definition of a Michigan pistol, that's all that should matter.