• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State says you don't have 1st amendment rights to gather information from the gov

davidmcbeth

Banned
Steven Sarnoski actually said this in a recent FIC hearing ... that we have no rights under the US first amendment to gather government information...

This is the second person at the AG's office to say this .... man, they are on the ball!

In the Connecticut Supreme Court case CHAIRMAN, CRIMINAL JUSTICE COMMISSION, ET AL. V FREEDOM OF INFORMATION COMMISSION ET AL. (217 CONN. 193)(1991) the court opinioned:
“As the United States Supreme Court has made clear, the first amendment to the federal constitution is not limited to protection of free speech but also embodies the right to receive and gain access to information and ideas” Liberman v. Board of Labor Relations, 216 Conn. 253, 267, 579 A 2d 505 (1990).

No wonder agencies don't give out information and documents...the AG (representing the state & state agencies) says you don't have this right ...

When I said we have this right ... Sarnoski replied back that its not true ...

Last edited:

KennyB

Steven Sarnoski actually said this in a recent FIC hearing ... that we have no rights under the US first amendment to gather government information...

This is the second person at the AG's office to say this .... man, they are on the ball!

In the Connecticut Supreme Court case CHAIRMAN, CRIMINAL JUSTICE COMMISSION, ET AL. V FREEDOM OF INFORMATION COMMISSION ET AL. (217 CONN. 193)(1991) the court opinioned:
“As the United States Supreme Court has made clear, the first amendment to the federal constitution is not limited to protection of free speech but also embodies the right to receive and gain access to information and ideas” Liberman v. Board of Labor Relations, 216 Conn. 253, 267, 579 A 2d 505 (1990).

No wonder agencies don't give out information and documents...the AG (representing the state & state agencies) says you don't have this right ...

When I said we have this right ... Sarnoski replied back that its not true ...

Dave, our new AG (Jepsen) can be compared to the national AG (Holder) very favorably. There's a reason the NRA gave Jepsen a F rating, trust me.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Dave, our new AG (Jepsen) can be compared to the national AG (Holder) very favorably. There's a reason the NRA gave Jepsen a F rating, trust me.

Yes, I spoke to his office concerning some "attny-client" privileged doc ... they claim anything they touch is privileged.

My next motion will be very critical of the AG.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Well, you should seen the response when I plead that the first amendment allows us to gather information & the 2nd allows us to defend ourselves from the government then I should be able to know the weapons that the state has so I can get weapons to overpower them in the protection of my life, home, family, and property..

The state called this "disturbing" ... and the hearing officer's eyes got as wide as plates ...

DDoutel

well, you should seen the response when i plead that the first amendment allows us to gather information & the 2nd allows us to defend ourselves from the government then i should be able to know the weapons that the state has so i can get weapons to overpower them in the protection of my life, home, family, and property..

The state called this "disturbing" ... And the hearing officer's eyes got as wide as plates ...

roflmao!!!!!

davidmcbeth

Banned
My hearing officer and her intern wanted to know how they could get a pistol permit and carry like the officer who was at our hearing was doing (unconcealed).

I provided her our contact information...

Well I have two pending FIC cases ... one was dissmissed administratively .. I had this decision reversed upon my motion to set aside the dismissal

a second one, the FIC (not the other party) filed a res judicata motion ... and of course ruled in his own favor. My motion to reconsider/strike is almost ready ... the hearing officer has no idea what is required for res judicata in this state ... my fic appeal is with different parties seeking completely different this one may go to superior court...

Clawed

Well, you should seen the response when I plead that the first amendment allows us to gather information & the 2nd allows us to defend ourselves from the government then I should be able to know the weapons that the state has so I can get weapons to overpower them in the protection of my life, home, family, and property..

The state called this "disturbing" ... and the hearing officer's eyes got as wide as plates ...

This is too funny :)