Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: three math questions

three math questions

1. A bat and ball together cost $1.10. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

2. If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

3. In a lake there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half the lake?

the answers are here

OK I failed all three

Quote Originally Posted by oldbanger View Post
    1. A bat and ball together cost $1.10. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

2. If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

3. In a lake there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half the lake?

the answers are here

OK I failed all three
    These are as much logic questions as math. Do we post the answers here or PM you (no, I haven't looked, don't need to).

Without looking at the answer page...
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbanger
    $0.05

5 minutes.

47 days.

And... looking at the answers, I'm right.
    But I admit that #2 took a minute. Not my strong suit.

I originally went with my first thought on all of them and then once I thought about it more, I got all 3 right bfeore I looked at the answers.

5Minutes

47 days
    the answers are here

OK I failed all three
    Now to check the answers but these seem easy.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Empiricism is nothing more than quantified Perception.--*YAWN*

Who are you to tell me how many bats, and balls exist in this instance!
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

$1.10 for a bat and ball? Cheap Chinese crap.....probably has lead in them.

Widgets? We don't make widgets in the US anymore we farmed out widgets to China.

A pond with lily pads overtaking the pond? Better call the EPA and have that land owner cited and his land confiscated for not maintaining a his property IAW accepted best practices for land management.

Where did you people go to school?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post

Widgets? We don't make widgets in the US anymore we farmed out widgets to China.

A pond with lily pads overtaking the pond? Better call the EPA and have that land owner cited and his land confiscated for not maintaining a his property IAW accepted best practices for land management.

I was home schooled. My answers are five cents, five minutes and forty seven days.

IDK what this crap is you're talking about. EPA? What the hell is that? I don't recognize no EPA.
    Last edited by Jack House; 09-14-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post

Actually, the EPA won't let him clear the lily pads. It's a wetland area, not to be touched. Eventually, the lily pads fill in the lake, and the water spreads out over more of the landowners property. Then he can't use that property either, as it's now designated as a wetland. The lily pads spread into that area as well, and the cycle continues.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    I was home schooled. My answers are five cents, five minutes and forty seven days.

IDK what this crap is you're talking about. EPA? What the hell is that? I don't recognize no EPA.

Where did you come up with 5 cents as the answer?
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Let's see, without reading the thread:

the answers are here

OK I failed all three
    a) bat + ball = 1.10
    b) ball + 1 = bat
    c) (rearranging b) bat - ball = 1

d) (add a and c) bat * 2 = 2.10
    e) (solve d for bat) bat = 1.05
    f) (solve b for ball) ball =

a) 5 widgets / 5 machines / 5 minutes means every machine makes a widget every 5 minutes
    b) 100 widgets / 100 machines =

5 minutes

3. previous day would be half as big as today, so

47 days
    Last edited by Tawnos; 09-15-2012 at 02:28 AM.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Now to check the answers but these seem easy.
    If the ball cost .10, and the bat is $1 more than it, then the bat costs $1.10. The sum of bat & ball would thus be $1.20, not $1.10
    Last edited by Tawnos; 09-15-2012 at 02:28 AM.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    If the ball cost .10, and the bat is $1 more than it, then the bat costs $1.10. The sum of bat & ball would thus be $1.20, not $1.10
    Thanks, you're right. I didn't think it through all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Thanks, you're right. I didn't think it through all the way.
    That's the point of those questions.

Someone emailed me this yesterday:

6-1x0+2/2=?

Quote Originally Posted by Lasjayhawk View Post

6-1x0+2/2=?
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Nope.

6 - 1 = 5 x 0 = 5 +2 = 7 / 2 = 3.5

Nope.

nope 5x0=0 but that's not it.

I think IIRC 09jisaac is correct.
    Last edited by Lasjayhawk; 09-15-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Nope.

Five times zero is not five. Your order is wrong and your math is incorrect.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

nope 5x0=0 but that's not it.

I think IIRC 09jisaac is correct.
    He is.

6-1x0+2/2=?
    parentheses happen first, then multiplication and division, then addition and subtraction

so this becomes 6 - 0 + 1 on the first pass, which is 7.

Re: three math questions

Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    parentheses happen first, then multiplication and division, then addition and subtraction

so this becomes 6 - 0 + 1 on the first pass, which is 7.

Guess the others don't know PEMDAS-Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally??
    Last edited by SPOProds; 09-15-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man
    Where did you come up with 5 cents as the answer?
    bat + ball = $1.10
    bat - $1 = ball
    Subtract the $1, & what remains (10c) must be split equally between bat & ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasjayhawk
    6-1x0+2/2=?
    They're testing to see who knows the order of operations:
    Please () parenthesis
    Excuse ^ exponents
    My x multiply
    Dear / divide
    Aunt + add
    Sally - subtract

6 - (1x0) + (2/2) =
    6 - 0 + 1 =

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I will pay anyone $1,000.00 who will in turn guarantee to repay me beginning at 1 cent the first day and then doubling the previous days amount each day for 30 days. Any takers?

Best to have all funds in escrow.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I will pay anyone $1,000.00 who will in turn guarantee to repay me beginning at 1 cent the first day and then doubling the previous days amount each day for 30 days. Any takers?

Best to have all funds in escrow.
    Sure, right after I inherit Bill Gates' entire fortune.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast