• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

three math questions

oldbanger

1. A bat and ball together cost $1.10. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

2. If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

3. In a lake there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half the lake?

the answers are here

OK I failed all three :dude:

ldsgeek

1. A bat and ball together cost $1.10. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

2. If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

3. In a lake there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half the lake?

the answers are here

These are as much logic questions as math. Do we post the answers here or PM you (no, I haven't looked, don't need to).

MKEgal

Without looking at the answer page...
oldbanger said:
$0.05

5 minutes.

47 days.

And... looking at the answers, I'm right.
But I admit that #2 took a minute. Not my strong suit.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
I originally went with my first thought on all of them and then once I thought about it more, I got all 3 right bfeore I looked at the answers.

Freedom1Man

5Minutes

47 days
the answers are here

Now to check the answers but these seem easy.

Beretta92FSLady

Empiricism is nothing more than quantified Perception.--*YAWN*

Who are you to tell me how many bats, and balls exist in this instance!:p:p

OC for ME

$1.10 for a bat and ball? Cheap Chinese crap.....probably has lead in them.

Widgets? We don't make widgets in the US anymore we farmed out widgets to China.

A pond with lily pads overtaking the pond? Better call the EPA and have that land owner cited and his land confiscated for not maintaining a his property IAW accepted best practices for land management.

Where did you people go to school?

Jack House

Widgets? We don't make widgets in the US anymore we farmed out widgets to China.

A pond with lily pads overtaking the pond? Better call the EPA and have that land owner cited and his land confiscated for not maintaining a his property IAW accepted best practices for land management.

I was home schooled. My answers are five cents, five minutes and forty seven days.

IDK what this crap is you're talking about. EPA? What the hell is that? I don't recognize no EPA.

Last edited:

ak56

Campaign Veteran

Actually, the EPA won't let him clear the lily pads. It's a wetland area, not to be touched. Eventually, the lily pads fill in the lake, and the water spreads out over more of the landowners property. Then he can't use that property either, as it's now designated as a wetland. The lily pads spread into that area as well, and the cycle continues.

Tawnos

Let's see, without reading the thread:

the answers are here

a) bat + ball = 1.10
b) ball + 1 = bat
c) (rearranging b) bat - ball = 1

d) (add a and c) bat * 2 = 2.10
e) (solve d for bat) bat = 1.05
f) (solve b for ball) ball =

a) 5 widgets / 5 machines / 5 minutes means every machine makes a widget every 5 minutes
b) 100 widgets / 100 machines =

5 minutes

3. previous day would be half as big as today, so

47 days

Last edited: