• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

three math questions

SPOProds

parentheses happen first, then multiplication and division, then addition and subtraction

so this becomes 6 - 0 + 1 on the first pass, which is 7.

Guess the others don't know PEMDAS-Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally??

Last edited:

MKEgal

Freedom1Man said:
Where did you come up with 5 cents as the answer?
bat + ball = $1.10
bat - $1 = ball
Subtract the $1, & what remains (10c) must be split equally between bat & ball.

Lasjayhawk said:
Someone emailed me this yesterday:
6-1x0+2/2=?
They're testing to see who knows the order of operations:
Please () parenthesis
Excuse ^ exponents
My x multiply
Dear / divide
Aunt + add
Sally - subtract

6 - (1x0) + (2/2) =
6 - 0 + 1 =

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I will pay anyone $1,000.00 who will in turn guarantee to repay me beginning at 1 cent the first day and then doubling the previous days amount each day for 30 days. Any takers?

Best to have all funds in escrow. :rolleyes:

Jack House

I will pay anyone $1,000.00 who will in turn guarantee to repay me beginning at 1 cent the first day and then doubling the previous days amount each day for 30 days. Any takers?

Sure, right after I inherit Bill Gates' entire fortune.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Sure, right after I inherit Bill Gates' entire fortune.

In that case I might have to up the offer to 1 million dollars for 60 days of daily doubling :lol: :lol:

If I had a just the interest from Bill Gates money, I could buy a new 1911 for each day of the year. Then I'd have to build a vault room./armory.

Nah, too much trouble - I'm happy with what I have.

ncwabbit

OMG ok ok....quit... you're giving me a headache!!!

wabbit

ps: reaching for a large glass of canadian carrot juice to dull the thought of long forgotten logic/word problems

Tawnos

And for those who don't know, this is a problem of the form 2^x, where x = 30. It starts out small, but quickly escalates. By 2^10 you have 512. By 2^20, you have 10485676 (and thus have already significantly surpassed $1000). By the end of 30 days, you'd owe grapeshot over ten million dollars.

Tawnos

OMG ok ok....quit... you're giving me a headache!!!

wabbit

ps: reaching for a large glass of canadian carrot juice to dull the thought of long forgotten logic/word problems

The Monty Hall problem (another bit of fun logic):
You are presented three doors. Behind two of the doors is a goat, and behind the next is a certificate for the firearm of your choice. You are asked to pick one. After doing so, the host will open one of the two remaining doors to reveal a goat. He will then offer you the choice to keep the current door you've picked, or switch to the other door. Should you switch? What is your probability of winning.

No fair looking this up before answering :)

ncwabbit

alas this mentality is also from a 1882 short story by Stockton called the lady or the tiger...the author's unanswered question caused quite the discussion in my graduate level classes...

but carry on i am still trying to figure out the math problems presented previously...

wabbit

ps: tho out of carrot juice which aids contemplation

pps: and who would you take and save on the lifeboat?

Last edited:

jegoodin

The Monty Hall problem (another bit of fun logic):
You are presented three doors. Behind two of the doors is a goat, and behind the next is a certificate for the firearm of your choice. You are asked to pick one. After doing so, the host will open one of the two remaining doors to reveal a goat. He will then offer you the choice to keep the current door you've picked, or switch to the other door. Should you switch? What is your probability of winning.

No fair looking this up before answering :)

Switch. 67% (2 out of 3)

09jisaac

But whether you pick the right one or one of the wrong ones, they're going to show you the (other) wrong one. Have your chances really changed?

Think about it this way.

You choose one and the host shows you a goat. If picked the goat then you will switch to the car, if you chose the car then you will switch to the goat. Since at the origin you had a 67% chance of choosing a goat, and if you chose a goat then switched then you will get the car.

Tawnos

But whether you pick the right one or one of the wrong ones, they're going to show you the (other) wrong one. Have your chances really changed?

09isaac explained it already (and I know he already knew the answer since he said car and I didn't ;) ), and I'll explain it in an intuitive way:

There are 1,000,000 doors. Behind 999,999 there are goats. Behind 1 is your prize. You point to a door. The host will open 999,998 doors, all of them with goats behind them. He then offers you the chance to keep the original door you pointed to, or change to the remaining door. Do you take the switch?

So yes, it really changes your chances.

Another problem of a similar bent/the same logic is "Bertrand's box":
You have before you three boxes. One has two gold coins inside, one has two tin coins inside, and one has one gold and one tin coin inside.

You pick a box at random and draw one of its coins at random. You see that the coin you drew is gold. What is the probability that the other coin in the box is also gold?

Brimstone Baritone

I know, I just don't like it when the first poster spoils the answer. :'(

Edit: I just realized Tawnos asked the coin question. In sticking with the above, I'll say 1/3, because that was the chance of picking the box with two gold coins. ;)

Last edited:

Tawnos

I know, I just don't like it when the first poster spoils the answer. :'(

Edit: I just realized Tawnos asked the coin question. In sticking with the above, I'll say 1/3, because that was the chance of picking the box with two gold coins. ;)

So you know the answer is 2/3 already, or is 1/3 your actual answer (That is, have you heard the problem before)?

Brimstone Baritone

Yes, I already know the answer is 2/3. Rephrasing the question is (for me) the easiest way to understand the answer. You stick your hand into one of the boxes mentioned before. What are the chances that box contains two of the same coin? Since two boxes out of three contain two of the same coin, the answer is 2/3. So when you pull out one coin (of either type) the chances of the other coin being the same are 2/3.