• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new here and to open carry

rast1971

hello i am mew to open carry, like many other i thought open carry was illegal in ohio. plan to open carry most of the time i go out now, and then after i get my concealed carry licence. is anyone else in the mansfield area? i have never seen anyone around here open carry just wonder what the encounters with the leo's are like here.

and after reading this forum over the past day i would like to thank you guys for the wealth of info i have seen.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Things needed to open carry: 1) gun, and 2) recorder(s), 3) knowledge of the law, 4) assessment of how far one is willing to push a LE encounter, 5) friendly, informative attitude towards citizens who ask about your carry method.

rast1971

Got it

1. 32 revolver, 45 semi
2. dont have a digital voice recorder yet but will get one, have a smart phone for video and voice for now.
3. 2nd amendment, orc 9.68, orc 2921.29, title 42 USC section 1983
4. polite and respectful but i know my rights and wont voluntarily give them up.
5. always willing to pass on knowledge to others and point them in the right direction as to where to find more.

I have been doing my homework for a few months, i wouldnt OC untill i felt i had the knowledge to do it properly and with full confidence that i would be able to handle a situation with a LEO when it occurs.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I presume you know RAS backwards and forwards, but also check out 2917.11, 2917.31, and 2921.31 while you're at it.

Have fun, and stay safe.

p.s - a retention holster is a very good thing to have.

JmE

Hello and welcome to OCing, rast1971! It's good to see another freedom loving Ohioan.

When purchasing a voice recorder, I'd suggest the Sony model that I've heard quite a few open carriers recommend. It has great recording quality and can easily record all day. Quality, long recording is important as it is often suggested that one begin recording when they leave their home.

Good luck and stay safe. :)

MyWifeSaidYes

I haven't seen any stories of interactions with LEO's in the Mansfield area, good or bad.

If you have a smartphone, there are apps that will record to the Internet. That can prevent a LEO from erasing your recording.

Having a dedicated digital voice recorder is a good idea because it can be left recording for hours (days?) at a time before wearing down the batteries.

If you DO get harassed by a LEO, do not be afraid to get arrested.

If you know you are in the right, your lawyer, whose name and number you should have on speed-dial in your phone AND on a card in your wallet, will spring you in no time.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Things needed to open carry: 1) gun, and 2) recorder(s), 3) knowledge of the law, 4) assessment of how far one is willing to push a LE encounter, 5) friendly, informative attitude towards citizens who ask about your carry method.

correction: 2 guns .... in case the cops want to take one

JmE

correction: 2 guns .... in case the cops want to take one
Good advice. At least one at home so they don't leave you defenseless in the days, weeks, or months that follow them depriving you of your property.

rast1971

thanks i didnt thank about the app that would upload no the net, thats a good plan. i do expect a soon as i start to carry, (i havent started yet as i want to make sure i got all my homework done and all my ducks in a row first) that i will have a LEO encounter as i grew up in the 80's i have very long hair at this time, so i am uses to "being keep a eye on" by LEOs and store personal.

I am not afraid to get arrested so to speak just that my job is not forgiving about missed time, so i dont really want to spend to much time in lock up but i dont thank that is going to be a problem. i think that if it ever did happen that i would be out asap when the LEO's get together and learn that they have nothing to charge me for. Also i am committed to fight any crap charges i may get like disorderly or obstruction.

I also plan on getting the laws printed up on a card and laminated that way i can show any LEO that thinks they can throw around any charge they like, not that trying to educate them will do any good but at least on tape i may get a cop saying something dumb like he dont care what the law says or something like that, that i can use is court is ever a must.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...I am not afraid to get arrested so to speak just that my job is not forgiving about missed time, so i dont really want to spend to much time in lock up but i dont thank that is going to be a problem...
Let us know about your first arrest/LEO interaction. <shakes head>

MyWifeSaidYes

thanks i didnt thank about the app that would upload no the net, thats a good plan. i do expect a soon as i start to carry, (i havent started yet as i want to make sure i got all my homework done and all my ducks in a row first) that i will have a LEO encounter as i grew up in the 80's i have very long hair at this time, so i am uses to "being keep a eye on" by LEOs and store personal.

I am not afraid to get arrested so to speak just that my job is not forgiving about missed time, so i dont really want to spend to much time in lock up but i dont thank that is going to be a problem. i think that if it ever did happen that i would be out asap when the LEO's get together and learn that they have nothing to charge me for. Also i am committed to fight any crap charges i may get like disorderly or obstruction.

I also plan on getting the laws printed up on a card and laminated that way i can show any LEO that thinks they can throw around any charge they like, not that trying to educate them will do any good but at least on tape i may get a cop saying something dumb like he dont care what the law says or something like that, that i can use is court is ever a must.

Rast-

Your comment, "...but i dont thank that is going to be a problem...", is a VERY bad assumption. If you get arrested on a bogus charge on a Friday afternoon, the prosecutor won't see your case (and you won't see a judge) until Monday morning. Tuesday morning, if it's a holiday weekend. THEN the prosecutor has to decide if they have a case. If they think they do, even though you and I think the charge is bogus, you better hope you can make bail.

As far as a card with laws on it is fine, but don't push it down a LEO's throat unless you understand what case law is and how it affects those laws you want the LEO to follow. Keep the card with you so YOU can remember what the law is when the lower-life form LEO's get in your face and scream, "WHAT ABOUT 2921.31, PUNK! WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?" With your card, you can show him.

:lol:

Cops are allowed to lie, so if you record them saying, "I don't care about blankety-blank...", they were just lying to get you to talk some more.

The voice recorder is simply self-defense to make sure their story of an event matches what really happened.