Thread: Widow turns tragedy into cause for gun rights

Widow turns tragedy into cause for gun rights

This woman is an example for us all. Kudos to her!

http://usat.ly/TASPuY
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Kudos, indeed

She is an excellent example for all of us.

I applaud her, but parts of that article made me

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    I applaud her, but parts of that article made me
    I'm assuming the anti-parts...but which in particular......

(You assume correctly, thebigsd.)

Author Paul Barrett, who this year published, Glock: The Rise of America's Gun, said that despite the wide slate of research dedicated to the subject, criminologists still are stumped about whether permissive gun-carry laws have any effect on crime rates.

"The prevalence of guns in American society most certainly makes violent crimes more lethal," Barrett said. "But you cannot draw a neat, causal connection between policies that encourage people to walk around armed and higher or lower crime rates."
    Of course you can't. Because that wouldn't look good for the anti-gun agenda!

Restaurant owner Randy Rayburn said he has had death threats sent to him since he banned guns from his eateries. But his businesses have not suffered.
    Death threats? Really? Or people warning him that criminals won't obey his signs, and that got twisted into 'death threats'? Will he consider his business suffering when a bad guy walks in and shoots up the place and they can't do anything but cower for their lives? Or is that the moral high road?

Josh Clinton, professor of political science at Vanderbilt University, said highly charged stories like Goeser's are effective in galvanizing the public and lawmakers around an issue. But often, the emotion of the story dwarfs the complexity of public policy.

"For every Nikki Goeser, there's an incident of someone shooting off a gun accidentally," he said. "There are powerful anecdotes on both sides, and they are usually picked up by people who have a pre-existing stance."

I'm sure there were a few choice snippets I may have missed, but I was really trying hard not to read that rubbish twice. I doff my hat to Mrs. Goeser and her efforts; it's just too bad the article attempts to undermine her.
    Last edited by PistolPackingMomma; 09-08-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Banned
    Looks like she has a couple of great cases der.

1st - her husband death
    2nd - she is still alive

(you guys !)
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 09-08-2012 at 08:34 PM.

She's really helping make inroads into public weapons carriage. I had a facepalm moment when I read that the establishment where her husband was shot put a "no guns allowed" sign up. Really?

It sounds to me as if the story is incomplete...
    But her life changed after watching a man walk into a bar in April 2009 on a rain-soaked night here and shoot her husband in the head with a .45-caliber semiautomatic pistol. The shooter then stood over him and continued to fire rounds into his body.
    First the headshot (without any reported provocation), and
    ...then stood over him and continued to fire rounds into his body.
    makes it sound VERY personal to me - far from a random vic selection. But, that's just MHO. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    It sounds to me as if the story is incomplete... First the headshot (without any reported provocation), and makes it sound VERY personal to me - far from a random vic selection. But, that's just MHO. Pax...
    Here is more of a back story. It wasn't random per se, her husband was murdered by a man who had been stalking her.

First Freedom magazine

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Here is more of a back story. It wasn't random per se, her husband was murdered by a man who had been stalking her.

First Freedom magazine
    Yep - Nikki Goeser was being stalked - her husband was shot and killed right in front of her. It happened back in April 2009.

She has become an outspoken advocate of RKBA and self-defense.
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-the-hard-way/
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-10-2012 at 08:09 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.