• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Widow turns tragedy into cause for gun rights

PistolPackingMomma

(You assume correctly, thebigsd.)

Author Paul Barrett, who this year published, Glock: The Rise of America's Gun, said that despite the wide slate of research dedicated to the subject, criminologists still are stumped about whether permissive gun-carry laws have any effect on crime rates.

"The prevalence of guns in American society most certainly makes violent crimes more lethal," Barrett said. "But you cannot draw a neat, causal connection between policies that encourage people to walk around armed and higher or lower crime rates."

Of course you can't. Because that wouldn't look good for the anti-gun agenda!

Restaurant owner Randy Rayburn said he has had death threats sent to him since he banned guns from his eateries. But his businesses have not suffered.

Death threats? Really? Or people warning him that criminals won't obey his signs, and that got twisted into 'death threats'? Will he consider his business suffering when a bad guy walks in and shoots up the place and they can't do anything but cower for their lives? Or is that the moral high road? :banghead:

Josh Clinton, professor of political science at Vanderbilt University, said highly charged stories like Goeser's are effective in galvanizing the public and lawmakers around an issue. But often, the emotion of the story dwarfs the complexity of public policy.

"For every Nikki Goeser, there's an incident of someone shooting off a gun accidentally," he said. "There are powerful anecdotes on both sides, and they are usually picked up by people who have a pre-existing stance."

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I'm sure there were a few choice snippets I may have missed, but I was really trying hard not to read that rubbish twice. I doff my hat to Mrs. Goeser and her efforts; it's just too bad the article attempts to undermine her.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Looks like she has a couple of great cases der.

1st - her husband death
2nd - she is still alive

(you guys !)

Last edited:

GarandGuy55

She's really helping make inroads into public weapons carriage. I had a facepalm moment when I read that the establishment where her husband was shot put a "no guns allowed" sign up. Really?

Gil223

It sounds to me as if the story is incomplete...
But her life changed after watching a man walk into a bar in April 2009 on a rain-soaked night here and shoot her husband in the head with a .45-caliber semiautomatic pistol. The shooter then stood over him and continued to fire rounds into his body.
First the headshot (without any reported provocation), and
...then stood over him and continued to fire rounds into his body.
makes it sound VERY personal to me - far from a random vic selection. But, that's just MHO. Pax...

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
It sounds to me as if the story is incomplete... First the headshot (without any reported provocation), and makes it sound VERY personal to me - far from a random vic selection. But, that's just MHO. Pax...

Here is more of a back story. It wasn't random per se, her husband was murdered by a man who had been stalking her.

First Freedom magazine

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last edited: