Thread: Cop accidentally kills clerk fleeing robbers

Cop accidentally kills clerk fleeing robbers

Man, the NYPD is on a roll lately. Good thing these guns are in the hands of "trained professionals."

Reynaldo Cuevas, 20, was shot once in the left shoulder when he bolted from his uncle's Bronx bodega and plowed into the officer, who was rushing to the scene with his gun drawn about 2 a.m. ET. "Mr. Cuevas ... ran full-speed into the officer," Commissioner Ray Kelly said, according to the New York Daily News. "The two became entangled, at which point, we believe, the officer accidentally discharged his weapon."
    http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/841445
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

Yup, "accidently". Because officers never make mistakes, they just have accidents. /sarcasm
    Last edited by PistolPackingMomma; 09-08-2012 at 01:58 PM.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

this does smell. 1. shot in the back, if they had ran into each other how was that possible?
    2. police had time to set up outside of the door, why weren't they aware of what was going on? 3. why was his finger on the trigger? of course this could be chalked up to stupidity

i would love to see the video of this whole thing
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Banned
    If I lived in NYC I would be wearing a vest all time -- not for criminals -- but to protect me from the cops shooting me

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    If I lived in NYC I would be wearing a vest all time -- not for criminals -- but to protect me from the cops shooting me
    Great idea! Think we can convince clown Bloomberg to issue such to NY Citizens?

Reminds me of a 3-Stooges episode, where they went to Mexico, and the local Citizens that were walking the streets had pillows tied to thier asses, to protect them from earthquakes.

Maybe it's a trend....

http://www.startribune.com/local/eas...6.html?refer=y

Police Shoot Hostage As He Escapes
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

"People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

What a choice to make...
    stay where you are & deal with common street criminals,
    or try to get away & maybe get shot by police.
    I like what's behind door #3 - self-defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Hers is the video.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...2IyzvA1HP913XI

So all three perps are going to be charged with murder right?
    Last edited by J1MB0B; 09-12-2012 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polynikes View Post
    Man, the NYPD is on a roll lately. Good thing these guns are in the hands of "trained professionals."

Ray Kelly, the Grand Inquisitor, must have watched a different video than the one I just watched.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    In which case you would still be wearing the vest to protect yourself from criminals.

Just because NYPD or any government says they are "official", "legitimate", "duly empowered", etc., etc., does not make them less criminal.
    Last edited by Citizen; 09-12-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Looks to me like complete negligence on part of the officer. Probably finger on the trigger and got startled as the guy ran out the door and slightly bumped into him. I didn't see any "barreling into" anybody in that video like they're trying to portray.

Quote Originally Posted by Polynikes View Post
    Reynaldo Cuevas, 20, was shot once in the left shoulder when he bolted from his uncle's Bronx bodega and plowed into the officer, who was rushing to the scene with his gun drawn about 2 a.m. ET. "Mr. Cuevas ... ran full-speed into the officer," Commissioner Ray Kelly said, according to the New York Daily News. "The two became entangled, at which point, we believe, the officer negligently discharged his weapon."

There, I fixed it for you...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by benadethreid View Post
    I think, that would be negligence and malpractice. Though it was just an accident, the clerk needs justice.
    In the eyes of the courts the clerk did get justice. Death and enslavement are the only justice in the eyes of the government.

I agree with your thoughts though. If he died because a doctor made a mistake then the clerk's family would be getting paid. If the clerk died because of a peasant citizen making a mistake that citizen would be in jail and would be forced to pay up.

But cops get paid vacations and promotions for killing innocent citizens.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)