• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police shoot man running from his captors.

Gil223

This is a very sad story. Here are two small snippets that establish the scene...
When the gunman who had been tormenting the group told Henderson to go to the window to see if any police were outside, Henderson took his chance and made a beeline for the door. The kidnapper opened fire at him in response but missed. As Henderson bolted out the door toward them, Woodbury police opened fire and cut him down.
A terrible response from the police officers - who apparently heard the shot, which was immediately followed by a man darting from the room "toward them". I'm guessing that the two actions, that close together, prompted the officers to assume that the runner had shot someone, was still armed, and was making a break for it. They didn't hesitate long enough to ascertain that he did/did not have a weapon. No excuse is acceptable for intentionally shooting an unarmed, non-threatening person. Criminal prosecution for manslaughter (at the least) is appropriate for those whose bullets ended this man's life.
The man responsible for the nearly four-hour standoff with police at the Red Roof Inn near Valley Creek Road -- Demetrius S. Ballinger, 25, of North St. Paul -- is being held in the Washington County jail. He is expected to be charged Tuesday with aggravated robbery, first-degree criminal sexual conduct and kidnapping, police said.
It appears from this article that Minnesota has no law allowing Ballinger to be charged with murder. There is a rule of law that holds that
...if a killing occurs during the commission or attempted commission of a felony (a major crime), the person or persons responsible for the felony can be charged with murder.
But, murder isn't listed among Ballinger's expected charges. :confused: Pax...

davidmcbeth

Banned
Oh boy...seems like cops think they can kill someone just for not responding to "on your knees"? I'm sure they guy never even heard it.

That's what it all about ... listen or else. We see it everywhere now ... airports, on the road, everywhere

OC for ME

Note to hostages who are lucky enough to see an avenue for escape......don't escape, you are now likely to be shot by the cops.....in Minnesota anyway.

Comply or die!

sudden valley gunner

Poor guy, thought the thugs outside who kill with impunity would be more trustworthy than the thugs inside who usually only kill other thugs and pay consequences for doing so.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Poor guy, thought the thugs outside who kill with impunity would be more trustworthy than the thugs inside who usually only kill other thugs and pay consequences for doing so.

+1

Or, he just didn't know, believing in the public-relations image garbage put out by police and police unions.

"You can trust the government. Just ask any American Indian---about Wounded Knee."

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

+1

Or, he just didn't know, believing in the public-relations image garbage put out by police and police unions.

"You can trust the government. Just ask any American Indian---about Wounded Knee."

I have a picture of my great great grandfather who was involved in that tragedy. (On the loosing end) yes we grew up weary of government and it's promises.