Thread: Police shoot man running from his captors.

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar

Police shoot man running from his captors.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    This is a very sad story. Here are two small snippets that establish the scene...
    When the gunman who had been tormenting the group told Henderson to go to the window to see if any police were outside, Henderson took his chance and made a beeline for the door. The kidnapper opened fire at him in response but missed. As Henderson bolted out the door toward them, Woodbury police opened fire and cut him down.
    A terrible response from the police officers - who apparently heard the shot, which was immediately followed by a man darting from the room "toward them". I'm guessing that the two actions, that close together, prompted the officers to assume that the runner had shot someone, was still armed, and was making a break for it. They didn't hesitate long enough to ascertain that he did/did not have a weapon. No excuse is acceptable for intentionally shooting an unarmed, non-threatening person. Criminal prosecution for manslaughter (at the least) is appropriate for those whose bullets ended this man's life.
    The man responsible for the nearly four-hour standoff with police at the Red Roof Inn near Valley Creek Road -- Demetrius S. Ballinger, 25, of North St. Paul -- is being held in the Washington County jail. He is expected to be charged Tuesday with aggravated robbery, first-degree criminal sexual conduct and kidnapping, police said.
    It appears from this article that Minnesota has no law allowing Ballinger to be charged with murder. There is a rule of law that holds that
    ...if a killing occurs during the commission or attempted commission of a felony (a major crime), the person or persons responsible for the felony can be charged with murder.
    But, murder isn't listed among Ballinger's expected charges. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Banned
    Oh boy...seems like cops think they can kill someone just for not responding to "on your knees"? I'm sure they guy never even heard it.

That's what it all about ... listen or else. We see it everywhere now ... airports, on the road, everywhere

Note to hostages who are lucky enough to see an avenue for escape......don't escape, you are now likely to be shot by the cops.....in Minnesota anyway.

Comply or die!
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Poor guy, thought the thugs outside who kill with impunity would be more trustworthy than the thugs inside who usually only kill other thugs and pay consequences for doing so.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Poor guy, thought the thugs outside who kill with impunity would be more trustworthy than the thugs inside who usually only kill other thugs and pay consequences for doing so.
    +1

Or, he just didn't know, believing in the public-relations image garbage put out by police and police unions.

"You can trust the government. Just ask any American Indian---about Wounded Knee."
    Last edited by Citizen; 09-12-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    +1

Or, he just didn't know, believing in the public-relations image garbage put out by police and police unions.

"You can trust the government. Just ask any American Indian---about Wounded Knee."
    I have a picture of my great great grandfather who was involved in that tragedy. (On the loosing end) yes we grew up weary of government and it's promises.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    +1

Or Sand Creek, or...
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.