• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

priest lake state and national park regulations

standup

I am curious if anyone from north Idaho can tell me if there are any regulations I need to know about in regards to priest lake.

Specifically, are there are state park regulations of fire arms?

Are parts of priest lake national park?

If so do state and national parks have different regulations?

I am wa resident with a cpl.

As far as I understand my cpl is respected in Idaho and I can carry loaded in vehicle, open or concealed, in public, on the street, in a bar as long as I'm not intoxicated...

But are the parks, the campgrounds and forest service roads, or federal lands regulated differently?

Thanks so much.

Ps, what about boats?

papa bear

sorry i can't answer specifically to the state laws. but, if it is a national park they must go by weather you can carry in the general state that the park is in.

Louie86

You beat me to it I was just about to ask the same thing about McCroskey State Park. My wife and visited last week and the sign at the entrance stated that no firearms are allowed unless unloaded and locked up. Did some research and here is what I found:

1. As far as National Parks they passed a law in 2009 that was tagged onto the end of the Credit Cardholders' Bill of Rights Act of 2009, which allows carry in National Parks so long as it is legal to carry in the state in which the park is located. So good to go in parks located in Idaho.

2. As for Idaho state parks they were basically overruled by Idaho code 18-3302J(the preemption statue). So they changed their rules to: (http://adminrules.idaho.gov/rules/current/26/0120.pdf) can be found on page 17
600. PERSONAL SAFETY, FIREARMS.
No person may purposefully or negligently endanger the life of any person or creature within any land administered by the Department. No person may discharge firearms or other projectile firing devices within any lands administered by the Department, except in the lawful defense of person, persons, or property or in the course of lawful hunting, or for exhibition or at designated ranges as authorized by the Director. (3-29-10)

So to answer your questions go ahead and carry and have fun!!

Here is a link to a summary of Idaho state laws in case you have any other questions: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/idaho.pdf

Hope all this helps. :)

Last edited:

TechStuffBC

McCroskey State Park. My wife and visited last week and the sign at the entrance stated that no firearms are allowed unless unloaded and locked up.

Louie86, you wouldn't happen to have a picture of this sign at the entrance that you could post, would you?

While I am a member of IdahoCarry.org, I personally (i.e., not as a representative of IdahoCarry.org) champion working with local, city, county, state and federal agencies to ensure all involved, be it the gov't or the citizen, are aware of boundaries, limitations, misinformation (such as the sign above), etc., in regards to firearm laws, policies, rules, regulations, etc.

If you've not a picture, I will still work with the Idaho Parks & Recreation toward remedying the "mistaken" wording on the sign.

Thank you,

BC

Last edited:

Louie86

Sign Pics

Louie86, you wouldn't happen to have a picture of this sign at the entrance that you could post, would you?
BC
Sorry about taking so long I haven't been too good about following the forum. This is of the sign at the entrance of the park but there are at least 3 more places where the rules are posted. I had an argument with the the forum so I can only post one pic so here is the close up of the section in question.

Louie

Attachments

• Idaho Parks and Rec 3.jpg
    Idaho Parks and Rec 3.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited: