• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to WA from VA.

EMNofSeattle

When you go to apply for your CPL just bring a copy of your orders assigning you to WA. You have a double residency since you are military. One is your Home of Record and the other is your assignment.
The weather for motorcyles is great. I'm from New England and I can tell you that WA doesn't get that much rain. It mists through the winter and then it's overcast. You have 3-4 months of sun with about 8 months of good riding weather. In the past year I didn't ride for about two months and that was because of the rain. I don't like riding in rain.
The weather here is super mild. It really is a pretty nice place to live.

Why do you need your military orders? CPLs are issued freely shall issue to any out of state resident, it just takes longer to get the licensing.
RCW 9.41.070

@ Grim_night
You're right, i read the wrong RCW section.

Grim_Night

Why do you need your military orders? CPLs are issued freely shall issue to any out of state resident, it just takes longer to get the licensing.
RCW 9.41.070

@ Grim_night
You're right, i read the wrong RCW section.

How to get your license: Concealed pistol license
Documents you’ll need ~ You’ll need to bring all of the following when you apply:

Valid, government-issued photo identification (for example, Washington driver license or ID card).

If you don’t have a Washington State driver license or ID card, you must provide proof you have lived in the state for at least the last 90 days.

The $52.50 fee in cash, check, or money order, payable to the law enforcement agency where you’re applying. This fee is non-refundable.

If you’re in the military, your military ID and orders listing your station location.

Last edited:

38or45

yea i wouldn't say I'm a super outdoorsy time person, but i don't mind it. I like to hike and fish and thats about it. As for riding, as long as its not raining a lot I'm on the bike lol.

If you want a fun place to take a bike, go take a ride on Chuckanut Drive. I used to take my car out there to have fun, and it's a nice ride on a bike too. It's a bit north of you, but loads of fun. Welcome to the anti-sunshine state!

wolf-father

I made the very same trip a year ago. I have never had an issue. Most seem to not ever notice. Before I got my CPL the unloading to get in the car go old quick. The only thing confuseing on the island is the parks department still has the no firearms rule on the books. The responce I got was it was cheaper to not enforce it then to change the law. lol (til they get sued when they harass someone)

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

As for hiking/backpacking, the trails are much more crowded now than when I was growing up, you'll need a northwest pass to park at most of the trail head now.

The hunting is so-so around here.

The hiking/packing around here is a blast though, some of the views along the way, alone, are worth the long hike.

The laws get a little screwy about what you can carry while hiking during hunting seasons though.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
The Anacortes police chief is pro law. She does not like suppressors and refuses to sign off on them, but CPLs are a good idea in her eyes. NavyLtcdr and I attended one of her lectures in Anacortes just after the travon martin situation. Both the LTCDR and I were OCing, there was not a problem.

1911er

Welcome to WA.

So come march the family and I will be moving to the Whidbey Island area (due to military PCS). What should i honestly be expecting as far as how it is out there. I know WA doesn't accept VA concealed permit so that will be something i need to get updated there. Just looking for some insight from some people that actually live out there.

Welcome to Washington swab jockey. I am sure you will like it here other than the people talk funny.

MSCS Burruss (retired)

Last edited:

kparker

OK, got over my laziness, and here is the documentation:

WAC 232-12-051 Muzzleloading firearms.
(3) In addition to the above requirements, it is unlawful to participate (hunt) in a muzzleloading hunting season using a firearm that does not meet the following specifications for a muzzleloader. However, a modern handgun may be carried for personal protection. Modern handguns cannot be used to hunt big game or dispatch wounded big game during a big game hunting season for muzzleloading firearms. (emphasis added)

hermannr

They have changed the law over the years a bit. You can hunt with almost any center fire handgun during modern firearms season. It used to be 357 mag was not enough gun to hunt with, specifically stated as not meeting the requirements...that has also changed. Now it is the same as for rifle..minimum is a center fire pistol .24 cal or larger, except for Cougar, where it is .22 center fire or larger.

From the hunting pamphlet "Equipment and hunting methods" page 74: "...A modern handgun may be carried for personal protection..."

Last edited:

Stretch

Thanks for the info on the law. Ill take a look around and study up on the laws. I will look into getting my WA conceal carry as soon as i get there. I think we will actually be moving to Anacortes. This will be a big trip for us (wife and dogs). Seeing we are coming from VA and all. It will be my second duty station. How is the weather around that area for motorcycle riding and just plain living conditions?

Motorcycle riding east of the mountains is fantastic! Much more than 3 months of summer, but you'll have to make a trip over Hwy 2 or Hwy 20 to get here. That will leave you perma-grinning with the twisties and scenery. Hunting is great in several areas of the state, and it depends on what you're up for killing, birds, big game, etc.

Welcome to Washington, and enjoy the NW.

Sent by Droid

Last edited:

aa1911

A welcome to ya!

I do quite a bit of hunting, keep the .24 cal/4" barrel minimum and not only is it legal to carry, it will be legal to hunt with as well. I'm stationed at Ft Lewis, the only gripe you should have with OC here is the post/base. Outside the gates, you're a LAC, go through the gate with a firearm, you're a potential felon.

Enjoy WA, there's so much to do here!

AA

PackinXD40

thanks guys for all the info and tips. Ill have to keep em in mind. I'm kinda looking forward to getting out there. A new chapter in life will be started. I keep hearing it's really nice out there so thats something to look forward too.

wolf-father

Since you are active duty military, you can apply for your CPL anywhere in the state. I would not recommend Island County Sheriff Office - they will make you wait for the entire time allowed by law, regardless of when your background check comes back. Anacortes Chief of Police and Skagit County Sheriff are both anti-gun for Joe Citizens, so I wouldn't go there, either. I don't know how Oak Harbor PD or Stanwood PD are for issuing CPLs quickly. They all have to issue within the time limits of state law, but some agencies will issue it as soon as your background check comes back sometimes while you wait.

Without a CPL - your unloaded pistol can be anywhere you want inside your vehicle as long as it is not concealed on your person, regardless of if you are "transporting" it or "carrying" it. If you leave your gun inside the vehicle when you exit, then it must be concealed from view and at least the vehicle locked.

I would also recommend you try to buy all your handguns in private sales, as all the information of sales from FFLs are kept in a Department of Licensing database.

I got mine in Oak Harbor in 15 days.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
There you go! Fast and convenient. Wish I would have went to Oak Harbor. I called Island County Sheriff office about my permit and the lady very snottily told me that it was day 29, not day 30, but if I insisted on coming to Coupeville that day, they would have it done. So... I insisted. If they get the background check returned, I don't understand what they think even 29 extra days is going to do. Nothing but a power trip. Especially when you can just open carry for those 29 days.

So the next time you renew, do so a week before you expire. When you go in politely explain that if you do not have your CPL in the next week you will begin open carrying everywhere around town and they should expect lots of phone calls. After all it is their agency that by dragging their feet will force you to follow the law and only open carry..... just a thought.

Grim_Night

My CPL will expire 5 months into a scheduled 9 month deployment :cuss:

Renewing a CPL

Military personnel who were unable to renew on time as a result of out-of-state deployment/assignment may qualify for an exemption to the 90-day renewal time limit. Applicants must apply within 90 days of returning to Washington state and provide proof of deployment/assignment dates.