Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: OC laws

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    2

    Question OC laws

    Hey everyone, I am looking for some info on the open carry laws of LA. I am new to the area moved here in May from Indiana and there you had to have a concealed carry permit to even have a firearm on your person or in your vehicle concealed or not. I have been getting mixed answers as to what and where I can legally possess a firearm. Mainly I am just wanting to carry one in my vehicle not necessarily on myself? Would this be legal without having a Louisiana concealed permit? Any information would be greatly appreciated, I have asked a couple policeman and have gotten different answers as well not sure who I should contact to get an official answer. The sheriff of Caddo parish? Mayor office? Thanks everyone have a good one.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,509
    Hooo-boy!

    I'll let the Louisiana experts cite the important things, but:

    1. You do not need a license to openly carry on your person.
    2. You do not need a license to carry in your car.
    3. Police are the second worst source of legal advice when it comes to gun laws. (Gun store clerks are the very worst.)

    Welcome to the ArkLaTex, and welcome to the forum.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran ATM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by chris88stone View Post
    ...moved here in May from Indiana and there you had to have a concealed carry permit to even have a firearm on your person or in your vehicle concealed or not...
    Actually, Indiana issues a License To Carry Handgun, not a concealed carry permit, but you are correct in that a license is required for any method of handgun carry (whether visible or concealed) with only a few exceptions.

    LA is less restrictive in that they don't infringe upon the right to carry openly yet they still reduce concealed carry to a privilege via permit/license requirement.

    Enjoy your new home state. Here's a quick link to get in the ballpark: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/louisiana.pdf

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    I would not call the sheriff .... then he'll know you have a gun for sure..

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    23
    I'm not an expert but I do live in Louisiana and am also a Deputy Sheriff.
    In Louisiana, your vehicle is considered an extension of your home. You can legally carry inside your vehicle, concealed or openly. You DO NOT have to obtain a CC permit for it to be in your car. You can also legally open carry on your person in Louisiana. Just be prepared to be stopped and harassed by the local Po-Po in most areas of the state. Some officers are aware that open carry is legal...others are not.

    The LA State Constitution - Article 1, Section 11 - "The
    right of each citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be
    abridged, but this provision shall not prevent the passage
    of laws to prohibit the carrying of weapons concealed on
    the person."

    State v Ferrand 664 So.2d 396 -"As the officer
    acknowledged, the public possession of an openly
    displayed handgun is not a crime in Louisiana and does
    not alone provide probable cause for an arrest."

    Attorney General Opinion No. 97-485 - The AG says,
    "There is no Louisiana law which in general prohibits
    carrying a handgun if that handgun is not concealed."
    Last edited by Wyldhog; 09-09-2012 at 08:39 AM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222
    More where that came from at http://laopencarry.org/
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the info. Wish all states honored open carry. Next question I would have is to where I can find out where the public can legally hunt. Maybe a local DNR office or something along those lines? Deer season just around the corner and I may go insane if I cant get out into the woods somewhere. Have a good one guys.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by chris88stone View Post
    Thanks for the info. Wish all states honored open carry. Next question I would have is to where I can find out where the public can legally hunt. Maybe a local DNR office or something along those lines? Deer season just around the corner and I may go insane if I cant get out into the woods somewhere. Have a good one guys.
    Wildlife Management Areas.
    Go to http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov for information on them

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldhog View Post
    In Louisiana, your vehicle is considered an extension of your home.
    Please pardon my asking, but where does this come from? You're not the first person I've heard it from, and I don't disagree with the conclusion, but I'm curious where the route to get to it came from. I've been through the convention transcripts and as best I can tell, the car protection originally comes from a comment by Delegate Avant regarding cars, boats, and business counters as being worth protecting on their own merits for the express purpose of deterring criminals. I didn't see anything about homes being legally extended. Is there another source I don't know about?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Seigi View Post
    Please pardon my asking, but where does this come from? You're not the first person I've heard it from, and I don't disagree with the conclusion, but I'm curious where the route to get to it came from. I've been through the convention transcripts and as best I can tell, the car protection originally comes from a comment by Delegate Avant regarding cars, boats, and business counters as being worth protecting on their own merits for the express purpose of deterring criminals. I didn't see anything about homes being legally extended. Is there another source I don't know about?
    There isn't any specific case law that directly says that it's an extension. Your house and vehicles are personally owned property. I believe it is based on the fourth amendment which states, The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.


    Also found this thread that may clear things up:
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/s...t-NO-IT-IS-NOT
    Last edited by Wyldhog; 09-22-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •