• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC laws

chris88stone

Hey everyone, I am looking for some info on the open carry laws of LA. I am new to the area moved here in May from Indiana and there you had to have a concealed carry permit to even have a firearm on your person or in your vehicle concealed or not. I have been getting mixed answers as to what and where I can legally possess a firearm. Mainly I am just wanting to carry one in my vehicle not necessarily on myself? Would this be legal without having a Louisiana concealed permit? Any information would be greatly appreciated, I have asked a couple policeman and have gotten different answers as well not sure who I should contact to get an official answer. The sheriff of Caddo parish? Mayor office? Thanks everyone have a good one.

KBCraig

Hooo-boy!

I'll let the Louisiana experts cite the important things, but:

1. You do not need a license to openly carry on your person.
2. You do not need a license to carry in your car.
3. Police are the second worst source of legal advice when it comes to gun laws. (Gun store clerks are the very worst.)

Welcome to the ArkLaTex, and welcome to the forum.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
...moved here in May from Indiana and there you had to have a concealed carry permit to even have a firearm on your person or in your vehicle concealed or not...

Actually, Indiana issues a License To Carry Handgun, not a concealed carry permit, but you are correct in that a license is required for any method of handgun carry (whether visible or concealed) with only a few exceptions.

LA is less restrictive in that they don't infringe upon the right to carry openly yet they still reduce concealed carry to a privilege via permit/license requirement.

Enjoy your new home state. Here's a quick link to get in the ballpark: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/louisiana.pdf

Wyldhog

I'm not an expert but I do live in Louisiana and am also a Deputy Sheriff.
In Louisiana, your vehicle is considered an extension of your home. You can legally carry inside your vehicle, concealed or openly. You DO NOT have to obtain a CC permit for it to be in your car. You can also legally open carry on your person in Louisiana. Just be prepared to be stopped and harassed by the local Po-Po in most areas of the state. Some officers are aware that open carry is legal...others are not.

The LA State Constitution - Article 1, Section 11 - "The
right of each citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be
abridged, but this provision shall not prevent the passage
of laws to prohibit the carrying of weapons concealed on
the person."

State v Ferrand 664 So.2d 396 -"As the officer
acknowledged, the public possession of an openly
displayed handgun is not a crime in Louisiana and does
not alone provide probable cause for an arrest."

Attorney General Opinion No. 97-485 - The AG says,
"There is no Louisiana law which in general prohibits
carrying a handgun if that handgun is not concealed."

Last edited:

chris88stone

Thanks for the info. Wish all states honored open carry. Next question I would have is to where I can find out where the public can legally hunt. Maybe a local DNR office or something along those lines? Deer season just around the corner and I may go insane if I cant get out into the woods somewhere. Have a good one guys.

Wyldhog

Thanks for the info. Wish all states honored open carry. Next question I would have is to where I can find out where the public can legally hunt. Maybe a local DNR office or something along those lines? Deer season just around the corner and I may go insane if I cant get out into the woods somewhere. Have a good one guys.

Wildlife Management Areas.
Go to http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov for information on them

Seigi

In Louisiana, your vehicle is considered an extension of your home.

Please pardon my asking, but where does this come from? You're not the first person I've heard it from, and I don't disagree with the conclusion, but I'm curious where the route to get to it came from. I've been through the convention transcripts and as best I can tell, the car protection originally comes from a comment by Delegate Avant regarding cars, boats, and business counters as being worth protecting on their own merits for the express purpose of deterring criminals. I didn't see anything about homes being legally extended. Is there another source I don't know about?

Wyldhog

Please pardon my asking, but where does this come from? You're not the first person I've heard it from, and I don't disagree with the conclusion, but I'm curious where the route to get to it came from. I've been through the convention transcripts and as best I can tell, the car protection originally comes from a comment by Delegate Avant regarding cars, boats, and business counters as being worth protecting on their own merits for the express purpose of deterring criminals. I didn't see anything about homes being legally extended. Is there another source I don't know about?
There isn't any specific case law that directly says that it's an extension. Your house and vehicles are personally owned property. I believe it is based on the fourth amendment which states, The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Also found this thread that may clear things up:
http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...-extension-of-your-home....-quot-NO-IT-IS-NOT

Last edited: