Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheapest Ammunition is at Walmart!?

Cheapest Ammunition is at Walmart!?

So I've have my Beretta Storm for about a month and have been stockpiling ammunition (9mm) for whatever this crazy country has in store. I've just been buying Winchester 115 FMJ value packs (100 rounds) for about 23 dollars after tax at Walmart.

Im curious if anyone is finding 9mm FMJ any cheaper somewhere else? I find it a bit odd that of all places Walmart would be the cheapest for ammunition. Since I am a bit of a cheap skate I reload my rounds after I shoot but I'm still looking for the best price per round.

So if you know of anywhere that sells cheap ammo let me know, I really don't want to buy more that a 1000 rounds at a time but if the deal right good enough I'd be willing to buy more.

-PJ

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    your really not going to do any better than that unless you want to shoot a russian steel case round no matter how much you buy.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Banned
    i have previously posted a website where you can check for deals ... search it out,,,i dont remember

I recently bought a box of 50 winchester 40 cal hollow points for just under $50 and a box of 100 federal 40 cal FMJs for just over $30... from walmart...

Learn how to reload. "Dime a Round" 9mm and you don't have to wait until Wallyworld has it in stock.

I can load 600 to 1,000 rounds in the time it takes to drive to Wal-Mart, wait for assistance, check out, and then drive home.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Walmart has great deals. It's few and far between that I find a better deal than Walmart. Quantico in Lakwoods sells Federal 5.56 for just under what Walmart charges for Federal .223, I have just never seen it in Stock. Surplus Ammo and Arms in Lakewood sells .40 and .45 for cheaper than I have ever seen at Walmart, usually somewhere around $15 for 50rds of Federal. Surplus also sells .223 for about what Walmart does and I think 5.56 for just over the cost of the .223. By the way, I usually just shoot Federal because my guns eat it up and it's inexpensive.
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

I use this to get a general idea of availability and pricing on most popular calibers:

http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=9mm+Luger
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

"People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

Be careful of Winchester white box. Many firearms are ammo picky and Winchester white box will be the pickiest ammo in those firearms.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Be careful of Winchester white box. Many firearms are ammo picky and Winchester white box will be the pickiest ammo in those firearms.
    I use winchester white box ammo in my Sig .40 and RIA 1911. They shoot it smoother and more flawlessley than any other ammo I have shot.

Quote Originally Posted by SigGuy23 View Post
    I use winchester white box ammo in my Sig .40 and RIA 1911. They shoot it smoother and more flawlessley than any other ammo I have shot.
    Because you and I both shoot Sig's...haha!

But I said many firearms ​are ammo sensitive.....ymmv
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Learn how to reload. "Dime a Round" 9mm and you don't have to wait until Wallyworld has it in stock.

I can load 600 to 1,000 rounds in the time it takes to drive to Wal-Mart, wait for assistance, check out, and then drive home.
    What did your reloading setup cost? If you were going to buy equipment today for reloading, what would it cost today? What is the cost/round (9 mm range quality) for reloading?

http://www.tds-us.com/ has great prices usually. It is centered around defensive rounds though. Many places online you can buy ammo by the pallet. Saves a ton.

Lightbulb

Last time I bought 9mm ammo for target practice I bought it from Surplus Ammo (lakewood) also found online at www.surplusammo.com. I paid 17 cents a round for 1000, its gone up slightly.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Munkey Butt View Post
    So I've have my Beretta Storm for about a month and have been stockpiling ammunition (9mm) for whatever this crazy country has in store. I've just been buying Winchester 115 FMJ value packs (100 rounds) for about 23 dollars after tax at Walmart.

Im curious if anyone is finding 9mm FMJ any cheaper somewhere else? I find it a bit odd that of all places Walmart would be the cheapest for ammunition. Since I am a bit of a cheap skate I reload my rounds after I shoot but I'm still looking for the best price per round.

So if you know of anywhere that sells cheap ammo let me know, I really don't want to buy more that a 1000 rounds at a time but if the deal right good enough I'd be willing to buy more.

-PJ
    Look for the 250 round "value packs" in the yellow boxes. They're slightly less cost per round. To beat walmart you usually have to order online AND find free shipping. Reloading saves too but then you're trading your own time as well. Not everyone has enough.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

I have a few ammo links listed here https://www.box.com/s/mrz3zt33boum7j...1/1401265827/1 which is also available by clicking on http://tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am currently getting into reloading. The thing I find is you spend more on brass , primers, powder, projectiles than to just buy factory loads. On the other hand its cheaper if I use my own spent rounds, but then I am forced to shoot my own store bought rounds. Its a catch 22.

-PJ

The only 9mm ammo that ever game me issues is Federal 9mm 115 Grain FMJ. I was shooting my Daewoo DP-51, and I had some Winchester "White Box", and the standard Federal Champion ammo. The Winchester worked pretty good, and so did the federal. However, the ONLY jam that ever happened was with the Federal ammo, considering the Daewoo will pretty much cycle whatever I put through it, from cheap Steel Case all the way to high-grade target ammo. Not saying the Federal ammo is "Bad", but my guns have never seemed to like it as much.
    "May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." — George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Munkey Butt View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I am currently getting into reloading. The thing I find is you spend more on brass , primers, powder, projectiles than to just buy factory loads. On the other hand its cheaper if I use my own spent rounds, but then I am forced to shoot my own store bought rounds. Its a catch 22.

-PJ
    The whole cost savings on reloading is saving fired brass. Many ranges will sell you brass, remember also that 223 brass cut down can be used for 9mm. If you reload hot loads should use either +P brass or cut down .223. Cabelas used to sell reloads by the 1,000 in used ammo cans, not sure if they still do.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Many ranges will sell you brass, remember also that 223 brass cut down can be used for 9mm. If you reload hot loads should use either +P brass or cut down .223.
    VERY VERY BAD and foolish advice.
    Now think about the following. The case diameter and head size between the .223 and 9mm. There are significant differences in case dimentions. With the smaller .223 case loaded to the standard load data for 9mm, the pressure differiential is much higher Also think about the unsupported case area due to the smaller diameter. The magazine can and probably will be blown out the bottom of the pistol, the grip panels destroyed with resulting damage to your hand. Is it really worth the miniscule savings and a higher risk factor to follow advice given by an unknown individual? Yeah, I am an unknown individual, with 45 years reloading behind me. However,I prefer to error on the SAFE side.
    REALLY REALLY stupid idea.

remember also that 223 brass cut down can be used for 9mm.
    I have never heard that... and I think doing that would be tremendously stupid and unsafe. All the extra time to prep the .223 into 9mm too!

Anybody who wants to do this, PM me. I will gladly trade you 9mm brass for your .223 brass.. one for one.
    www.WaGuns.org

Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Dr View Post
    VERY VERY BAD and foolish advice.
    Now think about the following. The case diameter and head size between the .223 and 9mm. There are significant differences in case dimentions. With the smaller .223 case loaded to the standard load data for 9mm, the pressure differiential is much higher Also think about the unsupported case area due to the smaller diameter. The magazine can and probably will be blown out the bottom of the pistol, the grip panels destroyed with resulting damage to your hand. Is it really worth the miniscule savings and a higher risk factor to follow advice given by an unknown individual? Yeah, I am an unknown individual, with 45 years reloading behind me. However,I prefer to error on the SAFE side.
    REALLY REALLY stupid idea.
    You really need to do some reading before stepping in it. The .223 was the casing used for the development of the 9X23, the 9X23 factory loadings are based on a case from the RD for the round. The casing is designed for far higher pressures than a standard 9X19, the 9MM +p is designed also for higher pressures. Anybody who loads +P in a standard case would be REALLY REALLY STUPID.

As far as your 45 years, how did you miss the development of the 9X23?

Cabelas when on sale I get brass case for $9.99, and steel case for $8.99.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

You really need to do some reading before stepping in it. The .223 was the casing used for the development of the 9X23, the 9X23 factory loadings are based on a case from the RD for the round. The casing is designed for far higher pressures than a standard 9X19, the 9MM +p is designed also for higher pressures. Anybody who loads +P in a standard case would be REALLY REALLY STUPID.

As far as your 45 years, how did you miss the development of the 9X23?
    The 9x23 is NOT the 9x19, nor is it the 9mm largo, 9mm makarov, 9mm kurtz, 38 auto or the 38 super. I did not mkiss it, but you are missing something....common sense.

Part of this is completely inaccurate. I work for a major ammunition manufacturer and I have been a supervisor in centerfire metal parts and I can tell you with absolute fact that 9mm +P cases are completely identical to any other 9mm case made by us, only difference is the head stamp. Same goes for 45 +p cases. I would like to mention to be careful when reloaded at higher pressures if you load in a standard head stamp and forget which ones are +P and which ones arent. Never heard about the 9x23 thing so I can't comment. As for not believing some random person on the internet who says they know what they are talking about if you are that worried about high pressure in rounds go measure for yourself. I will say I cannot speak for other companies cases only our own.

As for cheap ammo I would check here:http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/

I have dealt with them several times in the past and they have good prices and great customer service.
    Last edited by Louie86; 09-09-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie86 View Post
    Part of this is completely inaccurate. I work for a major ammunition manufacturer and I have been a supervisor in centerfire metal parts and I can tell you with absolute fact that 9mm +P cases are completely identical to any other 9mm case made by us, only difference is the head stamp. Same goes for 45 +p cases. I would like to mention to be careful when reloaded at higher pressures if you load in a standard head stamp and forget which ones are +P and which ones arent. Never heard about the 9x23 thing so I can't comment. As for not believing some random person on the internet who says they know what they are talking about if you are that worried about high pressure in rounds go measure for yourself. I will say I cannot speak for other companies cases only our own.

As for cheap ammo I would check here:http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/

I have dealt with them several times in the past and they have good prices and great customer service.
    Throwing the BS flag, you claim to work in the industry and you have no idea of how new rounds are developed. BS!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast