• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cheapest Ammunition is at Walmart!?

Munkey Butt

So I've have my Beretta Storm for about a month and have been stockpiling ammunition (9mm) for whatever this crazy country has in store. I've just been buying Winchester 115 FMJ value packs (100 rounds) for about 23 dollars after tax at Walmart.

Im curious if anyone is finding 9mm FMJ any cheaper somewhere else? I find it a bit odd that of all places Walmart would be the cheapest for ammunition. Since I am a bit of a cheap skate I reload my rounds after I shoot but I'm still looking for the best price per round.

So if you know of anywhere that sells cheap ammo let me know, I really don't want to buy more that a 1000 rounds at a time but if the deal right good enough I'd be willing to buy more.

-PJ

twoskinsonemanns

your really not going to do any better than that unless you want to shoot a russian steel case round no matter how much you buy.

amlevin

Learn how to reload. "Dime a Round" 9mm and you don't have to wait until Wallyworld has it in stock.

I can load 600 to 1,000 rounds in the time it takes to drive to Wal-Mart, wait for assistance, check out, and then drive home.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Walmart has great deals. It's few and far between that I find a better deal than Walmart. Quantico in Lakwoods sells Federal 5.56 for just under what Walmart charges for Federal .223, I have just never seen it in Stock. Surplus Ammo and Arms in Lakewood sells .40 and .45 for cheaper than I have ever seen at Walmart, usually somewhere around $15 for 50rds of Federal. Surplus also sells .223 for about what Walmart does and I think 5.56 for just over the cost of the .223. By the way, I usually just shoot Federal because my guns eat it up and it's inexpensive.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Be careful of Winchester white box. Many firearms are ammo picky and Winchester white box will be the pickiest ammo in those firearms.

I use winchester white box ammo in my Sig .40 and RIA 1911. They shoot it smoother and more flawlessley than any other ammo I have shot.

surferbum

Learn how to reload. "Dime a Round" 9mm and you don't have to wait until Wallyworld has it in stock.

I can load 600 to 1,000 rounds in the time it takes to drive to Wal-Mart, wait for assistance, check out, and then drive home.

What did your reloading setup cost? If you were going to buy equipment today for reloading, what would it cost today? What is the cost/round (9 mm range quality) for reloading?

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Last time I bought 9mm ammo for target practice I bought it from Surplus Ammo (lakewood) also found online at www.surplusammo.com. I paid 17 cents a round for 1000, its gone up slightly.

Metalhead47

So I've have my Beretta Storm for about a month and have been stockpiling ammunition (9mm) for whatever this crazy country has in store. I've just been buying Winchester 115 FMJ value packs (100 rounds) for about 23 dollars after tax at Walmart.

Im curious if anyone is finding 9mm FMJ any cheaper somewhere else? I find it a bit odd that of all places Walmart would be the cheapest for ammunition. Since I am a bit of a cheap skate I reload my rounds after I shoot but I'm still looking for the best price per round.

So if you know of anywhere that sells cheap ammo let me know, I really don't want to buy more that a 1000 rounds at a time but if the deal right good enough I'd be willing to buy more.

-PJ

Look for the 250 round "value packs" in the yellow boxes. They're slightly less cost per round. To beat walmart you usually have to order online AND find free shipping. Reloading saves too but then you're trading your own time as well. Not everyone has enough.

Munkey Butt

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am currently getting into reloading. The thing I find is you spend more on brass , primers, powder, projectiles than to just buy factory loads. On the other hand its cheaper if I use my own spent rounds, but then I am forced to shoot my own store bought rounds. Its a catch 22.

-PJ

FMJ 911

The only 9mm ammo that ever game me issues is Federal 9mm 115 Grain FMJ. I was shooting my Daewoo DP-51, and I had some Winchester "White Box", and the standard Federal Champion ammo. The Winchester worked pretty good, and so did the federal. However, the ONLY jam that ever happened was with the Federal ammo, considering the Daewoo will pretty much cycle whatever I put through it, from cheap Steel Case all the way to high-grade target ammo. Not saying the Federal ammo is "Bad", but my guns have never seemed to like it as much.

WalkingWolf

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am currently getting into reloading. The thing I find is you spend more on brass , primers, powder, projectiles than to just buy factory loads. On the other hand its cheaper if I use my own spent rounds, but then I am forced to shoot my own store bought rounds. Its a catch 22.

-PJ

The whole cost savings on reloading is saving fired brass. Many ranges will sell you brass, remember also that 223 brass cut down can be used for 9mm. If you reload hot loads should use either +P brass or cut down .223. Cabelas used to sell reloads by the 1,000 in used ammo cans, not sure if they still do.

Trigger Dr

Many ranges will sell you brass, remember also that 223 brass cut down can be used for 9mm. If you reload hot loads should use either +P brass or cut down .223.

VERY VERY BAD and foolish advice.
Now think about the following. The case diameter and head size between the .223 and 9mm. There are significant differences in case dimentions. With the smaller .223 case loaded to the standard load data for 9mm, the pressure differiential is much higher Also think about the unsupported case area due to the smaller diameter. The magazine can and probably will be blown out the bottom of the pistol, the grip panels destroyed with resulting damage to your hand. Is it really worth the miniscule savings and a higher risk factor to follow advice given by an unknown individual? Yeah, I am an unknown individual, with 45 years reloading behind me. However,I prefer to error on the SAFE side.
REALLY REALLY stupid idea.