• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cheapest Ammunition is at Walmart!?

WalkingWolf

VERY VERY BAD and foolish advice.
Now think about the following. The case diameter and head size between the .223 and 9mm. There are significant differences in case dimentions. With the smaller .223 case loaded to the standard load data for 9mm, the pressure differiential is much higher Also think about the unsupported case area due to the smaller diameter. The magazine can and probably will be blown out the bottom of the pistol, the grip panels destroyed with resulting damage to your hand. Is it really worth the miniscule savings and a higher risk factor to follow advice given by an unknown individual? Yeah, I am an unknown individual, with 45 years reloading behind me. However,I prefer to error on the SAFE side.
REALLY REALLY stupid idea.

You really need to do some reading before stepping in it. The .223 was the casing used for the development of the 9X23, the 9X23 factory loadings are based on a case from the RD for the round. The casing is designed for far higher pressures than a standard 9X19, the 9MM +p is designed also for higher pressures. Anybody who loads +P in a standard case would be REALLY REALLY STUPID.

As far as your 45 years, how did you miss the development of the 9X23?

Trigger Dr

You really need to do some reading before stepping in it. The .223 was the casing used for the development of the 9X23, the 9X23 factory loadings are based on a case from the RD for the round. The casing is designed for far higher pressures than a standard 9X19, the 9MM +p is designed also for higher pressures. Anybody who loads +P in a standard case would be REALLY REALLY STUPID.

As far as your 45 years, how did you miss the development of the 9X23?

The 9x23 is NOT the 9x19, nor is it the 9mm largo, 9mm makarov, 9mm kurtz, 38 auto or the 38 super. I did not mkiss it, but you are missing something....common sense.

Louie86

Part of this is completely inaccurate. I work for a major ammunition manufacturer and I have been a supervisor in centerfire metal parts and I can tell you with absolute fact that 9mm +P cases are completely identical to any other 9mm case made by us, only difference is the head stamp. Same goes for 45 +p cases. I would like to mention to be careful when reloaded at higher pressures if you load in a standard head stamp and forget which ones are +P and which ones arent. Never heard about the 9x23 thing so I can't comment. As for not believing some random person on the internet who says they know what they are talking about if you are that worried about high pressure in rounds go measure for yourself. I will say I cannot speak for other companies cases only our own.

As for cheap ammo I would check here:http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/

I have dealt with them several times in the past and they have good prices and great customer service.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Part of this is completely inaccurate. I work for a major ammunition manufacturer and I have been a supervisor in centerfire metal parts and I can tell you with absolute fact that 9mm +P cases are completely identical to any other 9mm case made by us, only difference is the head stamp. Same goes for 45 +p cases. I would like to mention to be careful when reloaded at higher pressures if you load in a standard head stamp and forget which ones are +P and which ones arent. Never heard about the 9x23 thing so I can't comment. As for not believing some random person on the internet who says they know what they are talking about if you are that worried about high pressure in rounds go measure for yourself. I will say I cannot speak for other companies cases only our own.

As for cheap ammo I would check here:http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/

I have dealt with them several times in the past and they have good prices and great customer service.

Throwing the BS flag, you claim to work in the industry and you have no idea of how new rounds are developed. BS!

Whitney

1000 rnds @ $.05 per round

So I've have my Beretta Storm for about a month and have been stockpiling ammunition (9mm) for whatever this crazy country has in store. I've just been buying Winchester 115 FMJ value packs (100 rounds) for about 23 dollars after tax at Walmart.

Im curious if anyone is finding 9mm FMJ any cheaper somewhere else? I find it a bit odd that of all places Walmart would be the cheapest for ammunition. Since I am a bit of a cheap skate I reload my rounds after I shoot but I'm still looking for the best price per round.

So if you know of anywhere that sells cheap ammo let me know, I really don't want to buy more that a 1000 rounds at a time but if the deal right good enough I'd be willing to buy more.

-PJ

Set up a search and monitor the Auction sites like this one.

~Whitney

Lasjayhawk

I recently bought a box of 50 winchester 40 cal hollow points for just under $50 and a box of 100 federal 40 cal FMJs for just over $30... from walmart...

Grim, you should be checking CTD. there is a LOT of Remington JHP in .40 S&W for stupid prices, like in the $10- $13 for boxes of 25

Louie86

Throwing the BS flag, you claim to work in the industry and you have no idea of how new rounds are developed. BS!

I am not involved in any engineering on any 9X23 round so how is it that I am supposed to know everything about it, not to mention it was designed by a competing company before I was a teenager. There are over 1,200 employees at just our location how are all of us supposed to know everything about every round? I never claimed to know everything about every round but I know for an absolute fact that the 9mm and 9mm +P cases are exactly the same go measure them if you don't believe me.

Lovenox

Learn how to reload. "Dime a Round" 9mm and you don't have to wait until Wallyworld has it in stock.

I can load 600 to 1,000 rounds in the time it takes to drive to Wal-Mart, wait for assistance, check out, and then drive home.

What's it cost to set up a reloading rig? I am looking to reload 7.62, .40 and maybe shotgun...

WalkingWolf

What's it cost to set up a reloading rig? I am looking to reload 7.62, .40 and maybe shotgun...

It can be expensive, or not so expensive, a lot depends on the quality and the speed of the setup. I believe Lee is the most economical. If you plan on shooting a lot then it will pay for itself in the long run.

Lovenox

It can be expensive, or not so expensive, a lot depends on the quality and the speed of the setup. I believe Lee is the most economical. If you plan on shooting a lot then it will pay for itself in the long run.

Will I compromise safety for less expensive brands/models?

WalkingWolf

Will I compromise safety for less expensive brands/models?

What you compromise on is the speed, and possibly the life of the equipment. Single stage is less expensive, but slow. Progressive stage will cost more but save time. A lot of people are using Lee Reloading equipment, it will safely reload at a fair price with single stage, and non carbide dies. Steel dies the cases need to be lubed, takes more time. You can use carbide dies in any press. It just depends on the amount of shooting you plan on how much you invest.

Munkey Butt

thanks for all the links fellas, so far I've only checked out a few links but ill be looking them all over!

-PJ

kparker

I just looked at some drawings of 9mm vs .223 cartridges (both online at Wiki and in Modern Reloading, Second Edition). Both sources agree that the .223 is significantly smaller in diameter than the 9mm; you'd have to be crazy to try to turn a .223 case into a 9mm case.

amlevin

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am currently getting into reloading. The thing I find is you spend more on brass , primers, powder, projectiles than to just buy factory loads. On the other hand its cheaper if I use my own spent rounds, but then I am forced to shoot my own store bought rounds. Its a catch 22.

-PJ

Go to a local range and either pick up or buy some brass to get started. The Kenmore Pistol Range has huge amounts of sorted pistol brass for sale at reasonable prices. Lots of public shooters just shoot factory ammo and leave their brass behind. Once you have a supply, you can load most pistol brass many times before it needs to be tossed. By then you've "offered to clean up" after other shooters and have collected more.

amlevin

It's possible. The "engineers" design and develop ammo. There are lots of others in the "industry" that don't have a clue as to how something is developed. They may operate a machine, pack boxes, or receive raw components.

As for cutting down .223 to 9mm, there's a bout a .020" difference in diameter at the base of the case (I have case design drawings for almost all standard calibers used in the 20th Century). Ruptured cases, misfeeds, and even bullets bulging the case badly would be just a few issues.

If one has a lot of .223 and needs 9mm there are some that would be happy to trade.

WalkingWolf

It's possible. The "engineers" design and develop ammo. There are lots of others in the "industry" that don't have a clue as to how something is developed. They may operate a machine, pack boxes, or receive raw components.

As for cutting down .223 to 9mm, there's a bout a .020" difference in diameter at the base of the case (I have case design drawings for almost all standard calibers used in the 20th Century). Ruptured cases, misfeeds, and even bullets bulging the case badly would be just a few issues.

If one has a lot of .223 and needs 9mm there are some that would be happy to trade.

The difference in the case head does not affect loading, and does not affect cambering. Let us also remember, which I thought as a 45 year reloader were aware we are talking fired cases. Which means the negligible case dimensions has been changed by firing. After cutting, annealing, trimming the case is RESIZED to correct size. The .223 case has to endure double the pressure that the 9mm does, if any case is going to rupture it would be the lighter made 9mm case, which they have. In fact that is the reason people who build high pressure loads exceeding max pressures turn to rifle cases. Just as using a 308 case for 45 high pressure. It has been a common practice for as long as I have been alive, with legends like Cooper advocating the use of rifle cases for wildcat pistol rounds. For such a expert you know little of the RD that has made large inroads to current cartridges. I again call BS!

Let us not forget and I would hope as a expert you would know that hot loaded cases are marked or stamped for a reason. A plus P load in light gun could be devastating to the gun as well as the shooter. Yea that would be so responsible to put HOT loads in a standard case so someone else might blow their hands off.

Last edited: