Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Additional magazines???

Additional magazines???

How many if any people here carry additional magazines on them while OC'ing or CC'ing? Where do you carry them? In a magazine holster or in a pocket? How many do you carry? I'm just trying to see what everyone else does. I have a double magazine holster for my 1911 mags and a few singles for the Glock 36. What say you?

H

Additional magazines???

Yes, I carry at least one additional magazine, sometimes two depending on the gun. I usually carry them in a magazine holster on my weak side.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 09-09-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by BigHPacking View Post
    How many if any people here carry additional magazines on them while OC'ing or CC'ing? Where do you carry them? In a magazine holster or in a pocket? How many do you carry? I'm just trying to see what everyone else does. I have a double magazine holster for my 1911 mags and a few singles for the Glock 36. What say you?

H
    I have a shoulder holster for my soon to be owned S&W M&P 40 what has the holster on the left side and pouches for 2 spare mags on the left... Do I need 2 extra mags? Not likely, but it's nice to have the counterweight to offset the pistol.

Two mags in a leather mag holster.

I would guess I carry those about 25% of the time. The other 75, it's just the single mag that is in the mag well.

I carry mine in a yuppie Barnes and Noble bag...

don't OC yet. (gasp!) but while carrying concealed I sport a single spare mag horizontally in a sidearmor magazine carrier, for either my G36 or G17. I do have a knife pouch that fits the spare 36 mag for deeper concealment if needed.

the reason why I don't OC yet is I'm saving for a G20 for that purpose. The 36 is my main CCW pistol, and the 17 is my main home defense pistol and I don't want to be stuck without if a barney fife confiscates my OC pistol.

but while carrying concealed, I don't really try to hide the spare mag. sometimes it shows, but I have yet to have anyone comment on it. (one lady gave me a stern look, I just smiled at her)

I use a blackhawk holster that comes with an aditioanal magazine carrier.

I rarely carry an extra magazine for my EDC Kimber 1911 with its Wilson magazine.

I'm much more likely to have a second gun (AirLite) in my boot, though.
    Last edited by MAC702; 09-10-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I always have additional mags on me or near me. If not in a pocket, they are in my backpack. I always have 2 15-rd mags for my G19. Grand total of 46 rounds on me pretty much all the time. Unless I carry the G26.

Re: Additional magazines???

Two additional on my belt, weak side.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

2 spare mags at all times, usually in my pants pocket. 33 rounds at all times including the one in the chamber.

Me, personally, I have always carried spare mags. Let's be honest, crap happens and the one in your gun may not work properly. When I had my 1911 I run a Colt mag in the gun, 2 ACT mags in a double mag pouch and then I don't remember what brand, but another mag in my pocket. Heavy, a little cumbersome, but knowing that they were there in case something went wrong was nice. Now I run my XDm and have two on my weak side and one in the gun. For those keeping round counts, that's 58 rounds lol.

OC with my Colt 1911A1, dual mag pouch, weak side 7rds each. Carrying my Beretta 92G, 1 extra 15er weak side single pouch

How are you going to deal with mis-feeds and other problems bottom feeders are prone to if you do not carry at least one extra magazine?

stay safe.

(The most elegant answer, of course, is to carry a revolver. But I guess you want to stick with those new-fangled shooters.)
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    How are you going to deal with mis-feeds and other problems bottom feeders are prone to if you do not carry at least one extra magazine?...
    It is possible to reinsert the magazine that you removed from the weapon. This addresses all but the rarest of malfunctions caused by a magazine that spontaneously gets damaged while in the pistol.

It is possible that someone will need an extra magazine, though. It is also possible that we will be the first to be shot in a bank robbery. But I like the odds.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Speaking from experience you would be surprised at how fast you go through rounds in a firefight. Even if you control your rates of fire through all the adrenaline, one magazine would last only several seconds. We would all like to believe that it would be the ideal self defense scenario; one bad guy, plenty of cover for yourself, ample time to draw, and a mere controlled pair stops the threat. However, things in life are rarely ideal. Your life, the life of your family, and the people around you is worth carrying a little bit of extra of weight. Always train like your enemy is as good as you are. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Complacency is the biggest killer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    The M4...serving scum the laws of terminal ballistics at 2,900FPS

Quote Originally Posted by 11B2O View Post
    Speaking from experience you would be surprised at how fast you go through rounds in a firefight....
    You were in a "firefight" as a normal armed citizen going about your daily business? Or is there more to the story?
    Last edited by MAC702; 10-25-2012 at 05:39 PM.

...We would all like to believe that...a mere controlled pair stops the threat. However, things in life are rarely ideal. ...
    It seems every time I hear of a self-defense shooting, it's 2-3 rounds indeed. You are saying this is the "rare" case?

I'm not saying that's a rare case. That might even be a likely case. But I talk to alot of people who believe that's most likely scenario and therefore ONLY train for that ideal scenario. It's not likely that you might need more than 2-3 shots. Still a significant enough risk to give pause on the subject. Just providing food for thought. Stay vigilant people.

When I'm carrying my 1911 I carry two extra 10 round Mcormicks in a mag holster for 28 rounds total. With my Sig P226 I carry one extra mag for 31 rounds total. I figure that if I'm carrying so that I'm prepared, I might as well be prepared. For deep concealed, I carry a Bersa thunder 380 with the crimson trace grips plus on mag for a total of 16. But that's for deep concealment.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Lest this gets lost in the clutter:

Speaking from experience you would be surprised at how fast you go through rounds in a firefight....
    You were in a "firefight" as a normal armed citizen going about your daily business? Or is there more to the story?

Quote Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
    I always have additional mags on me or near me. If not in a pocket, they are in my backpack. I always have 2 15-rd mags for my G19. Grand total of 46 rounds on me pretty much all the time. Unless I carry the G26.
    That describes my CC loadout exactly. I carry the two mags in Glock-factory polymer mag pouches on my reaction side. For OC, its not my 19 but my 34, and 17-round mags in the same glock-factory polymer mag pouches on reaction side.
    Let a man never stir on his road a step without his weapons of war; for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise of a spear on the way without. -Hávamál 38

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Lest this gets lost in the clutter:

In the military. But as alot of people don't or refuse to understand is the concepts are still the same. Warfare is warfare. Engagements in Iraq against AQI were totally different from engagements with Taliban in Afghanistan, yet the principles and concepts to fight these battles remained the same. It's all just a matter of strategy, planning, and training.

In the military. But as alot of people don't or refuse to understand is the concepts are still the same. Warfare is warfare. Engagements in Iraq against AQI were totally different from engagements with Taliban in Afghanistan, yet the principles and concepts to fight these battles remained the same. It's all just a matter of strategy, planning, and training.
    Thank you for clarifying. It was too easy to infer that you had experience in a "firefight," losing track of number of rounds, as a normal everyday legally-armed citizen. Because that's what this website is all about, and that's what this thread is about.

There is a big difference between warfare and OC.
    Last edited by MAC702; 10-26-2012 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Thank you for clarifying. It was too easy to infer that you had experience in a "firefight," losing track of number of rounds, as a normal everyday legally-armed citizen. Because that's what this website is all about, and that's what this thread is about.

There is a big difference between warfare and OC.
    Um not really. You plan just like you would in a conflict. You prepare just like you would in a conflict. You attempt to deescalate just like you would in a conflict. And then if and when that fails, you rely on your training and react to keep you and those around you safe, just like you would in a conflict. Real warfare doesn't look like video games where you run around shooting people. It people doing their jobs. And if while doing that job if someone attacks me or my team, we will protect ourselves and each other. The only differences are cosmetic.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast