• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Additional magazines???

BigHPacking

How many if any people here carry additional magazines on them while OC'ing or CC'ing? Where do you carry them? In a magazine holster or in a pocket? How many do you carry? I'm just trying to see what everyone else does. I have a double magazine holster for my 1911 mags and a few singles for the Glock 36. What say you?

H

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Yes, I carry at least one additional magazine, sometimes two depending on the gun. I usually carry them in a magazine holster on my weak side.

Last edited:

Grim_Night

How many if any people here carry additional magazines on them while OC'ing or CC'ing? Where do you carry them? In a magazine holster or in a pocket? How many do you carry? I'm just trying to see what everyone else does. I have a double magazine holster for my 1911 mags and a few singles for the Glock 36. What say you?

H

I have a shoulder holster for my soon to be owned S&W M&P 40 what has the holster on the left side and pouches for 2 spare mags on the left... Do I need 2 extra mags? Not likely, but it's nice to have the counterweight to offset the pistol.

JamesB

Two mags in a leather mag holster.

I would guess I carry those about 25% of the time. The other 75, it's just the single mag that is in the mag well.

Elhuero

don't OC yet. (gasp!) but while carrying concealed I sport a single spare mag horizontally in a sidearmor magazine carrier, for either my G36 or G17. I do have a knife pouch that fits the spare 36 mag for deeper concealment if needed.

the reason why I don't OC yet is I'm saving for a G20 for that purpose. The 36 is my main CCW pistol, and the 17 is my main home defense pistol and I don't want to be stuck without if a barney fife confiscates my OC pistol.

but while carrying concealed, I don't really try to hide the spare mag. sometimes it shows, but I have yet to have anyone comment on it. (one lady gave me a stern look, I just smiled at her)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I rarely carry an extra magazine for my EDC Kimber 1911 with its Wilson magazine.

I'm much more likely to have a second gun (AirLite) in my boot, though.

Last edited:

mobiushky

I always have additional mags on me or near me. If not in a pocket, they are in my backpack. I always have 2 15-rd mags for my G19. Grand total of 46 rounds on me pretty much all the time. Unless I carry the G26.

ZackL

Me, personally, I have always carried spare mags. Let's be honest, crap happens and the one in your gun may not work properly. When I had my 1911 I run a Colt mag in the gun, 2 ACT mags in a double mag pouch and then I don't remember what brand, but another mag in my pocket. Heavy, a little cumbersome, but knowing that they were there in case something went wrong was nice. Now I run my XDm and have two on my weak side and one in the gun. For those keeping round counts, that's 58 rounds lol.

AirborneVet

OC with my Colt 1911A1, dual mag pouch, weak side 7rds each. Carrying my Beretta 92G, 1 extra 15er weak side single pouch

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
How are you going to deal with mis-feeds and other problems bottom feeders are prone to if you do not carry at least one extra magazine?

stay safe.

(The most elegant answer, of course, is to carry a revolver. :D But I guess you want to stick with those new-fangled shooters.)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
How are you going to deal with mis-feeds and other problems bottom feeders are prone to if you do not carry at least one extra magazine?...

It is possible to reinsert the magazine that you removed from the weapon. This addresses all but the rarest of malfunctions caused by a magazine that spontaneously gets damaged while in the pistol.

It is possible that someone will need an extra magazine, though. It is also possible that we will be the first to be shot in a bank robbery. But I like the odds.

11B2O

Speaking from experience you would be surprised at how fast you go through rounds in a firefight. Even if you control your rates of fire through all the adrenaline, one magazine would last only several seconds. We would all like to believe that it would be the ideal self defense scenario; one bad guy, plenty of cover for yourself, ample time to draw, and a mere controlled pair stops the threat. However, things in life are rarely ideal. Your life, the life of your family, and the people around you is worth carrying a little bit of extra of weight. Always train like your enemy is as good as you are. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Complacency is the biggest killer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Speaking from experience you would be surprised at how fast you go through rounds in a firefight....

You were in a "firefight" as a normal armed citizen going about your daily business? Or is there more to the story?

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...We would all like to believe that...a mere controlled pair stops the threat. However, things in life are rarely ideal. ...

It seems every time I hear of a self-defense shooting, it's 2-3 rounds indeed. You are saying this is the "rare" case?

11B2O

I'm not saying that's a rare case. That might even be a likely case. But I talk to alot of people who believe that's most likely scenario and therefore ONLY train for that ideal scenario. It's not likely that you might need more than 2-3 shots. Still a significant enough risk to give pause on the subject. Just providing food for thought. Stay vigilant people.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

DamonK

When I'm carrying my 1911 I carry two extra 10 round Mcormicks in a mag holster for 28 rounds total. With my Sig P226 I carry one extra mag for 31 rounds total. I figure that if I'm carrying so that I'm prepared, I might as well be prepared. For deep concealed, I carry a Bersa thunder 380 with the crimson trace grips plus on mag for a total of 16. But that's for deep concealment.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2