• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Additional magazines???

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Lest this gets lost in the clutter:

Speaking from experience you would be surprised at how fast you go through rounds in a firefight....

You were in a "firefight" as a normal armed citizen going about your daily business? Or is there more to the story?

Tactical9mm

I always have additional mags on me or near me. If not in a pocket, they are in my backpack. I always have 2 15-rd mags for my G19. Grand total of 46 rounds on me pretty much all the time. Unless I carry the G26.

That describes my CC loadout exactly. I carry the two mags in Glock-factory polymer mag pouches on my reaction side. For OC, its not my 19 but my 34, and 17-round mags in the same glock-factory polymer mag pouches on reaction side.

11B2O

Lest this gets lost in the clutter:

You were in a "firefight" as a normal armed citizen going about your daily business? Or is there more to the story?

In the military. But as alot of people don't or refuse to understand is the concepts are still the same. Warfare is warfare. Engagements in Iraq against AQI were totally different from engagements with Taliban in Afghanistan, yet the principles and concepts to fight these battles remained the same. It's all just a matter of strategy, planning, and training.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
In the military. But as alot of people don't or refuse to understand is the concepts are still the same. Warfare is warfare. Engagements in Iraq against AQI were totally different from engagements with Taliban in Afghanistan, yet the principles and concepts to fight these battles remained the same. It's all just a matter of strategy, planning, and training.

Thank you for clarifying. It was too easy to infer that you had experience in a "firefight," losing track of number of rounds, as a normal everyday legally-armed citizen. Because that's what this website is all about, and that's what this thread is about.

There is a big difference between warfare and OC.

Last edited:

DamonK

Thank you for clarifying. It was too easy to infer that you had experience in a "firefight," losing track of number of rounds, as a normal everyday legally-armed citizen. Because that's what this website is all about, and that's what this thread is about.

There is a big difference between warfare and OC.

Um not really. You plan just like you would in a conflict. You prepare just like you would in a conflict. You attempt to deescalate just like you would in a conflict. And then if and when that fails, you rely on your training and react to keep you and those around you safe, just like you would in a conflict. Real warfare doesn't look like video games where you run around shooting people. It people doing their jobs. And if while doing that job if someone attacks me or my team, we will protect ourselves and each other. The only differences are cosmetic.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

ZackL

Wow. So you guys are wearing body armor, too, then, right?

You say that like it's a bad thing... I've known a few guys who are always wearing their vests. Working, not working, high risk, low risk. The heat makes me not want to, but that doesn't mean that I haven't thought about buying a vest for every day use. It's just one more form of protection.

DamonK

Are you trying to say that since we wear a vest or had air support in some missions over there we don't plan and prepare? That we don't train for weapon failures? That we don't train on transition drills? That is an asinine assertion to make. Because we do. Just the same as you SHOULD be doing when you carry a firearms in every day life. So some minor aspects may be different. It does not change the fact that you need to be mentally and physically prepared to do what you have to do to stay alive.

Shoobee

I always have one spare mag with me for OC, which would be in the woods only or camping.

Strangers can easily come into your campsite, which they are not supposed to do. But I have had it happen to me too many times.

A mag can jam anytime, and that's why you would always need at least one spare mag with you, in a mag pouch, preferably on the belt or holster that you are wearing so you can get at it quickly, and where it won't fall out of your pocket by surprise.

Last edited:

Shoobee

Matt The SEAL in his book "No Easy Day" talks about the take-down of Bin Laden.

He also describes the extensive body armor they wear all the time.

The military has used flack vests since 1951 in the Korean war. And LEOs since the 1970s.

They have gotten very sophisticated since then for both the military and LEOs.

In my day the flack vests were hot heavy and cheap. Now they are lite and made with metal plates in critical places to protect the human heart.

Last edited:

Shoobee

Speaking from experience you would be surprised at how fast you go through rounds in a firefight. Even if you control your rates of fire through all the adrenaline, one magazine would last only several seconds. We would all like to believe that it would be the ideal self defense scenario; one bad guy, plenty of cover for yourself, ample time to draw, and a mere controlled pair stops the threat. However, things in life are rarely ideal. Your life, the life of your family, and the people around you is worth carrying a little bit of extra of weight. Always train like your enemy is as good as you are. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Complacency is the biggest killer.

I think the standard load for an M-4 is 3 to 6 30-round mags in 2 pouches. And then another bandoleer on top of that to boot for a patrol.

The main idea is to pin down the enemy, so an airstrike or artillery or naval gunfire can blow them away.

Otherwise you would need to bring up boxes of fresh ammo to your lines like in WW1. Because you are correct, that soldiers tend to blow through ammo nonstop, without thinking about what life will be like when their ammo is all spent.

The real power in any infantry unit is the forward observer, or anyone trained and with a radio to call in the airstrike or arty.

Last edited:

Shoobee

How many if any people here carry additional magazines on them while OC'ing or CC'ing? Where do you carry them? In a magazine holster or in a pocket? How many do you carry? I'm just trying to see what everyone else does. I have a double magazine holster for my 1911 mags and a few singles for the Glock 36. What say you?

H

I have 4 single-mag pouches. That way I can plan how many mags I want to carry with me on the gunbelt.

Normally for all practical purposes I just carry one spare mag in one mag pouch for OC in the real world.

But for a shooting classes I will often have all 4 mounted, for 4 mags total.

Having 4 mags pouches for 4 mags allows me to unload the weapon between exercises, and during lunch break.

Shoobee

Strategy -- kill them before they can kill anymore of us.

Planning -- have more boots on the ground than they have.

Training -- shoot better than the enemy.

Someday this war is going to end. Probably not before all the rag headed gihadists are dead though.

JamesB

Um not really. You plan just like you would in a conflict. You prepare just like you would in a conflict. You attempt to deescalate just like you would in a conflict. And then if and when that fails, you rely on your training and react to keep you and those around you safe, just like you would in a conflict. Real warfare doesn't look like video games where you run around shooting people. It people doing their jobs. And if while doing that job if someone attacks me or my team, we will protect ourselves and each other. The only differences are cosmetic.

Sorry, but I gotta disagree here. There is a HUGE difference.

In a self-defense style conflict between civilians, the actual "firefight" is started and finished in under ten seconds, usually with less than ten feet seperating the parties involved, and with ten or fewer shots being fired.

There are exceptions to this, but I am also not going to go grocery shopping wearing a flack jacket with 300 rounds in pouches on my waist, another 300 in my pack, and a couple of grenades just in case.

Life in the ordinary world doesn't look like combat or a video game.

WalkingWolf

Sorry, but I gotta disagree here. There is a HUGE difference.

In a self-defense style conflict between civilians, the actual "firefight" is started and finished in under ten seconds, usually with less than ten feet seperating the parties involved, and with ten or fewer shots being fired.

There are exceptions to this, but I am also not going to go grocery shopping wearing a flack jacket with 300 rounds in pouches on my waist, another 300 in my pack, and a couple of grenades just in case.

Life in the ordinary world doesn't look like combat or a video game.

Besides there are no helicopter, or tank parking at the local market.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Are you trying to say that since we wear a vest or had air support in some missions over there we don't plan and prepare? That we don't train for weapon failures? That we don't train on transition drills? That is an asinine assertion to make. ...

Yes, it is. I didn't make it. Strawmen are asinine, too.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
You say that like it's a bad thing... I've known a few guys who are always wearing their vests. ....

No, I'm putting it in perspective. If a situation has the potential to become a "firefight" where you need more than 4-5 shots to extricate yourself from it, body armor is more important than an extra magazine. Some of those who carry extra magazines are likening our daily business to "warfare." I'm expanding that hypothesis to test its support.

I'm in no way chastising those who wear body armor daily. I've not even chastised those who carry extra magazines (or three or four). What I've done is ask questions because some have made it seem like if you aren't carrying a battle pack, then why bother arming yourself?

Perhaps I should have looked more closely at user profiles though. These guys might be in Detroit.

Last edited: