• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tazered for Open Carry

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainless1911

Banned
OC in hand is FAR outside the bounds of how we want to portray open carry.

John

Thats why I dont make much of a deal about it.

If they didn't perforate him for putting it in his pocket (assumed), why would you think he'd be vaporized for putting it on the ground when ordered to do so?

He would have had to touch it, draw, and that would give them a reason they were itching for.

Last edited:

sharkey

Thats why I dont make much of a deal about it.

He would have had to touch it, draw, and that would give them a reason they were itching for.

*Needs slaps self in head icon*

The gun was already in his hand so how could he draw it? Of course, he may have had a ND by dropping the gun.

sharkey

If I understand correctly it was in his hand when they ordered him to drop it. So he could have dropped it on the ground vs dropping it in his pocket.

Timeline man, timeline.

HKcarrier

Maybe he didnt want to damage his gun. I would have re holstered instead of dropping it too.

What reasons would you have to have it out of the holster while dealing with the apartment manager? What reason would anyone have to be pointing it in the air?

The cops had a call of a guy with a gun in his hand who was waving it around and pointing it in the air. THey show up, there is a guy with a gun in his hand. Pretty sure that meets not only RAS but also PC that a crime (brandishing) has been committed.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
I wasnt referring to only this case. Nevertheless, what if he wasnt doing those things. The police have only the information they have, and will act accordingly. Understandable. Once they attain the peace, there is no reason for them to go further. Whether he put his gun on the ground, or in his pocket or holster, peace has been restored.

It has been discussed many times here, that one should carry video, as well as audio in case someone claims that you are making gestures that you didnt, and that misinformation could be then used to get a conviction against you.

I plan on getting video soon as well, but I just dont have the funds yet.

TheQ

I wasnt referring to only this case. Nevertheless, what if he wasnt doing those things. The police have only the information they have, and will act accordingly. Understandable. Once they attain the peace, there is no reason for them to go further. Whether he put his gun on the ground, or in his pocket or holster, peace has been restored.

It has been discussed many times here, that one should carry video, as well as audio in case someone claims that you are making gestures that you didnt, and that misinformation could be then used to get a conviction against you.

Assuming the person committed assault with his gun, which sounds like it could be the case, then a felony takedown would be appropriate.

HKcarrier

This I can agree with!!! It's too bad there aren't dependable, long lasting (battery wise) options that aren't a trillion dollars. Def. would be nice to have a lapel cam like the officer did. I would really like a dash cam wired into the power of the vehicle too.

Scratches buff out- bullet holes are forever......

QFT!!!

Thundar

I disagree with your last statement. RAS stands for "Reasonable and Articulable Suspicion [that a crime has been or is being committed]" and while OC is perfectly legal, a gun in the hand, depending upon circumstances, will satisfy many state's brandishing statutes.

OC in hand is FAR outside the bounds of how we want to portray open carry.

John

glad Virginia isn't one of those states!

scot623

How would carrying a video recorder help in this regard?? What are you going to do, attach the camera to a rig with a 5ft arm extended out in front of you so the camera can see what gestures YOU are making?? Seems a bit cumbersome, but ok. 99.9% of people use a camera to film what other people are doing, not themselves.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
How would carrying a video recorder help in this regard?? What are you going to do, attach the camera to a rig with a 5ft arm extended out in front of you so the camera can see what gestures YOU are making?? Seems a bit cumbersome, but ok. 99.9% of people use a camera to film what other people are doing, not themselves.

Video cams can be pointed in either direction or operated by a 3rd party - just sayin'

HKcarrier

Stainless doesn't need a 5' boom... just something like this. :)

It's too bad GoPro's don't have better battery life or they would be SAWEET for this use...

[video=youtube;TWfph3iNC-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfph3iNC-k[/video]

scot623

Video cams can be pointed in either direction or operated by a 3rd party - just sayin'

Look pal, if you're going to come running to stainless' aid you may need to do some research first. Stainless only carries alone. There is no third party to film his actions. And using one arm to film yourself when you have your hands over your head and a gun trained on you from a LEO may be impractical. Therefore, he would need a 5ft boom to film himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.