• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I have a Buds Guns Question!

mem1977

Will Buds Guns in Lexington, KY let you open carry into their store? I have never been their and was planning on going their to check out some Mosin Nagant rifles for my birthday.

self preservation

Will Buds Guns in Lexington, KY let you open carry into their store? I have never been their and was planning on going their to check out some Mosin Nagant rifles for my birthday.

No....A sign on their front door say's "no loaded weapons"... Maybe if it was unloaded but I doubt it.

Johnburns15

I've been to buds several times. Always open carrying. I've never had an issue. But the last time I was there I was asked if my firearm was "unloaded" I answered "no it's not, how would carrying an unloaded firearm benefit me in anyway?"
But long story short, I was asked to unload my firearm. Which was not that big of a deal.

self preservation

I've been to buds several times. Always open carrying. I've never had an issue. But the last time I was there I was asked if my firearm was "unloaded" I answered "no it's not, how would carrying an unloaded firearm benefit me in anyway?"
But long story short, I was asked to unload my firearm. Which was not that big of a deal.

A gun store may be the only place that I could really see their logic about loaded weapons. Because I'm sure that there is a lot of "let me check yours out" that would take place. In a normal business setting the gun generally stays holstered, but not there. Just MHO that an accidental discharge would be more likely to occur when the guns are coming out and going back in the holsters all day long. But on the other hand, Duty Firearms in Winchester doesn't care if you OC, CC, loaded or unloaded.

09jisaac

The firearm is relatively safe as long as it is holstered, as soon as it is taken out (even to unload) it poses a larger risk. If I was a clerk at a gun store, I would make it clear that firearms to be displayed should be unloaded before entering the store, but as long as the firearm stays in the holster it can be loaded.

At Borders in Ashland I have never been asked if I was carrying a loaded gun. They don't seem to mind, but when someone asks to look at my firearm, I tell them to get one out of the case, that mine is loaded and ready to go.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I will not spend my money at any store that prohibits lawful holstered firearms. I completely understand when you are bringing a firearm in to be inspected, but not when you are carrying for protection and the firearm will not leave its holster. If a GUN store doesn't respect my right to protect myself then they don't deserve my business.

self preservation

I will not spend my money at any store that prohibits lawful holstered firearms. I completely understand when you are bringing a firearm in to be inspected, but not when you are carrying for protection and the firearm will not leave its holster. If a GUN store doesn't respect my right to protect myself then they don't deserve my business.

I don't disagree with you at all. I have been to Buds once and only once because of this reason.

Derek Jackson

I go to buds pretty often and every time i go in i see that sign about no loaded guns. However every time i go in i also see people carrying .. sooo... is it possible the sign is mostly for people brining one in possibly in a case to have evaluated. It makes perfect sense you wouldn't want your clerks picking up random people loaded guns that could possibly be damaged or modified. Thats my thinking on it.. I honestly believe its an overall safety thing.

hotrod

Go to Jet Guns on Paris Pike in Paris. Carry openly in there often. No signs on the door. Same or better prices than Bud's and I think the staff is friendlier. I know they operate with honor. Standby their product.

ZXguy

To date, I've been pretty happy with Buds, although I bought at Sportsman's Warehouse for about $30 less. Regardless, I like that they seem very relaxed (not sloppy or negligent, just relaxed and friendly). Concerning gun safety, though, I was a little surprised when shopping for guns there. They seemed to quickly pull them off the shelves wave them around (even in the direction of me and other customers). While I'd be nearly certain they're unloaded and safe, it still made me very uneasy as I have always been trained to assume it is loaded.....even when you know it's not. Having a salesman point a gun at me while showing its operation kinda weirded me out. After a few times, I think he saw on my face that I didn't like that very much.

So what's the story with Duty Firearms in Winchester? I've never been there. Is it pretty good size? Do they have a range? I'd like to go check 'em out.

Comm

Evans Firearm are ok with OC, or CC. I went in once CC my Ruger .380, and wanted to show them a problem I had with it. It was loaded, so I asked them if I could show them, and they said "just don't point it at anyone". Very nice folks there.

neuroblades

Bud's & Evans Experiences.

I've been in both many times and I have to honestly admot, I loathe the sign on Bud's door as you enter but with that being said, I have carried openly in there loaded and without as much as a question as to whether or not my sidearm was loaded. I don't even worry to de-mag! The way I see it, Bud's has an indoor firing range on-site and I've always viewed that sign on the door to mean that those carrying in their own firearm's to shoot on the range, they are not to have a loaded sidearm. i have never once taken it to mean that those on us that are OC to not be loaded. Bud's is a nice enough store, lots of weapons of all shapes and sizes are to had there but I've noticed that their prices and availability are lacking. They run, on average, about $50 - $100 higher than anyone else on their weapons and in most of the cases, the weapon I'm looking for might be reasonably prices but is NEVER in stock and requires them to order it.

OK, I understand that a gun store can't possibly have every possible weapon in the world in stock all the time but when it comes to certain firearm's, there are those that no gun store should be without. For instance, every single time I go into Bud's, I look for the SIG 516 in black and to my disappointment, they NEVER have it in stock but always tell me, :But sir, we can order that for you". I don't want them to order it, just have a few in stock. When I go to a gun store to look for a gun, I do not want to have to sit and wait for them to have to order it unless it's a custom job, like my RRA LAR-15 CAR A4 was. It took about 1.5 months from custom order to received. The longest month and a half I've ever experienced. *LOL*

As for Evan's, the last weapon I procured was a SIG Mk25 and yes, I called around for this one, searching for the best price. I contact my personal favorite gun shop and they quoted me their price (not even in the ball park)! I went to Bud's (they were ecven further off than my favorite shop and I even checked out the gin show that was going on in Lexington as that was where we were at first but no one, not even ONE dealer had a SIG Mk25 with them that day. As a last resort, I thought about that little gun shop on Southland, Evan's! I had been there a few times on Christmas' past and though it couldn't hurt to check them out. I did and WOW! They undersold the best price I had by over $50! Needless to say, I procured that pistol very quickly! *LOL*

Currently, I'm in the market once again and yes, I'm looking for yet another SIG, the SIG 516! I'm opened up the possibilities this time and have included a couple more stores in the hunt. Thus far, no one's really dazzled me with a great price, unfortunately! But then again, I haven't gotten around to contacting Evan's about it yet.

There are some words of WARNING about Bud's. Go online and google Bud's, you'll find some pretty PI**ED out people out there and recently I saw a "unique" video on Youtube about them and a gun a guy order from them that was, shall we say, INCORRECT beyond reason! *LOL* I felt for the guy but through all of his potty-mouth rant, I lost my sympathy for him and had to LMBO in the end.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
My experience with Buds has been just the opposite of yours. Dismal, rude service, but safe gun handling. Every gun that was passed to me was cleared, checked and handed to me with action open. The clerk was rude as hell. I don't require much coddling, but this guy was a real SOB.

I beleive there is some chemical in gun stores that give nearly every employee that works behind the gun counter this rude attitude you speak of. These men believe because they sell a product that they are experts in the field, when the truth is I know more than these idiots behind the counter. Try telling them this and they won't have any of it! I deal with two places pretty much exclusively: Border's Sporting Goods, and AA Firearms. At Borders I deal with one man and him only. At AA on the other hand, I can honestly say everyone that works there are decent and they are lacking the normal gun counter attitude we are accustomed to; not to mention that AA now has a class 3 license, and they are starting to keep cans and other title 2 weapons and accessories in stock.

neuroblades

I beleive there is some chemical in gun stores that give nearly every employee that works behind the gun counter this rude attitude you speak of. These men believe because they sell a product that they are experts in the field, when the truth is I know more than these idiots behind the counter. Try telling them this and they won't have any of it! I deal with two places pretty much exclusively: Border's Sporting Goods, and AA Firearms. At Borders I deal with one man and him only. At AA on the other hand, I can honestly say everyone that works there are decent and they are lacking the normal gun counter attitude we are accustomed to; not to mention that AA now has a class 3 license, and they are starting to keep cans and other title 2 weapons and accessories in stock.

Where is AA Firearms located, I'm not familiar with them? There are a couple guys I'll deal with at Border's, they've been really good working with me and have from time to time, made me some really good deals.

09jisaac

Where is AA Firearms located, I'm not familiar with them? There are a couple guys I'll deal with at Border's, they've been really good working with me and have from time to time, made me some really good deals.

AA firearms unlimited is located in Grayson

Google Maps has it shown.

If you are going west on 64 you make a right off of the off ramp in Grayson. Travel that just a couple of miles and it is right off of the road. It is not easy to miss.

Last edited: